Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping your car tax free?

Shipping your car tax free?

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

benflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nice
Question Shipping your car tax free?

If I did decide to ship my car (Audi R8, so it's daft to sell and buy it again in AU at the Audi prices there), as I have owned the car for more than 6 months, I've heard there might be a 'one-time' tax free import option - any truth in this?
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:20 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping your car tax free?

Originally Posted by benflux
If I did decide to ship my car (Audi R8, so it's daft to sell and buy it again in AU at the Audi prices there), as I have owned the car for more than 6 months, I've heard there might be a 'one-time' tax free import option - any truth in this?
Sorry... almost fell of my chair laughing at this.
  1. There is "no one time tax free import" for cars.
  2. Even if you qualified to import, which you don't, they would screw you silly with Duty and LCT on an R8
The only option you have is to sell it and buy one here if that's what you want to do. ~$270,000 (£130,000) should get you the 4.2 FSI R-Tronic over here. You can't even leave it in the UK, wait the six months and get it shipped over. As you must have owned the vehicle for more than 12 months, been with it in country during that time and provide full documention of all this including your full passport and reasons for any travel away from the vehicle during the time you owned it. So unfortunatley unless you delay leaving for Australia for a further 6-7 months you will not be able to import the car under the Personal Import Scheme for motor vehicles. In short, no chance.

I suggest you read the following:

DITRDLG: Importing Vehicles to Australia

DITRDLG: Importing Vehicles to Australia - VSB10 Notes (PDF)
DITRDLG: Importing Vehicles to Australia - VSB10 Application Form (PDF)

You might also want to have a trawl through an article I wrote on my experience importing my car last year.

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Jul 23rd 2008 at 11:30 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:26 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Sorry... almost fell of my chair laughing at this.
  1. There is "no one time tax free import" for cars.
  2. Even if you qualified to import, which you don't, they would screw you silly with Duty and LCT on an R8
The only option you have is to sell it and buy one here if that's what you want to do. ~$270,000 (£130,000) should get you the 4.2 FSI R-Tronic over here. You can't even leave it in the UK, wait the six months and get it shipped over. As you must have owned the vehicle for more than 12 months, been with it in country during that time and provide full documention of all this including your full passport and reasons for any travel away from the vehicle during the time you owned it. So unfortunatley unless you delay leaving for Australia for a further 6-7 months you will not be able to import the car under the Personal Import Scheme for motor vehicles. In short, no chance.

I suggest you read the following:

DITRDLG: Importing Vehicles to Australia

DITRDLG: Importing Vehicles to Australia - VSB10 Notes (PDF)
DITRDLG: Importing Vehicles to Australia - VSB10 Application Form (PDF)

You might also want to have a trawl through an article I wrote on my experience importing my car last year.

Al
They try all the angles to avoid paying duties, don't they?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:28 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
They try all the angles to avoid paying duties, don't they?
I love it... "one time tax free import"

Maybe Customs will introduce an "import one get one free next"

Al