Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Old May 20th 2008, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Congo Couple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Hello all, we are new to this and would very much appreciate any advice etc on relocating from UK to Congo.

I have been offered a transfer with an oil service company which i would like to accept. I have spent a month in Pointe Noire already so have a feel for it however my girlfriend has never been. we have been offered a trip out there so she can see it but would really like to know the experiences had by other English speaking expats there.

I dont think the security, crime etc situation is too bad as long as you are carefull but what is there as far as social and work activities for women?

I am 27 and she is 24, a health professional.

Many thanks.
Old May 26th 2008, 5:54 am
Just Joined

kelsah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Hi there

My husband also works for an Oil Company and we are currently living in Pau France. We have been told that we are moving to Pointe Noire November 1st. It would be great to meet some people online here before going.

Did you make your decision yet about going there?

Would love to hear from you. I'm finding it really difficult to find any information about the place, apart from what i've read in the Lonely Planet guide.

Cheers Sandra
Old May 27th 2008, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply Sandra.

It looks like i am going to accept and Lisa will come out and make a decision on if she wants to join me or if we instead visit each other regularly.

Are you from UK? Do you speak French?

I too have been unable to back up my claims that Pointe Noire is perfectly OK by searching on the web. I think this may be because there is a fairly limited purely UK expat scene... i found quite a few posts in French but I'm not quite up to translating them yet.

I have found some info making out that it is a lot worse than it is... I took taxis to/from work with laptop etc alone with no hassle and had no problems walking around at night. It's by no means civilised but as far as i am concerned security did not appear to be a big issue.

Will you be visiting congo anytime soon?

I'm sure Lisa would be interested in sharing/swaping experiences etc once she has been if you wish.

Let me know your comments.

Is your husband with Total? I am Baker Hughes.

Thanks.
Old May 27th 2008, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi there

It was great to hear from you because like you we're having problems finding anything out about the place.

Yes my husband works for Total. He's Scottish and I'm from London - good combination eh lol.

I think we'll be coming out around July/August for a week to settle housing and search out what's in the supermarkets so that I know what to add into my shipment.

It would be great to speak to you some more. I'll give you my e mail address and then you can write directly to me - or if Lisa wants to write.

(SNIP)

Keith, has spoken to a few people from Total who have lived in Pointe Noire and they seemed to have really enjoyed it . We had the choice of there or Angola and after visiting Angola for a couple of weeks we decided Pointe Noire would be much better. Can't be that bad if the Lonely Planet are sending backpackers there for surfing!!!!

Ok will stop prattling on now and wait to hear from you again.

Cheers
Sandra

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 27th 2008 at 6:00 pm. Reason: Email address removed - not a good idea to post on a public forum, use the email link to contact
Old May 28th 2008, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kelsah
Hi there

It was great to hear from you because like you we're having problems finding anything out about the place.

Yes my husband works for Total. He's Scottish and I'm from London - good combination eh lol.

I think we'll be coming out around July/August for a week to settle housing and search out what's in the supermarkets so that I know what to add into my shipment.

It would be great to speak to you some more. I'll give you my e mail address and then you can write directly to me - or if Lisa wants to write.

(SNIP)

Keith, has spoken to a few people from Total who have lived in Pointe Noire and they seemed to have really enjoyed it . We had the choice of there or Angola and after visiting Angola for a couple of weeks we decided Pointe Noire would be much better. Can't be that bad if the Lonely Planet are sending backpackers there for surfing!!!!

Ok will stop prattling on now and wait to hear from you again.

Cheers
Sandra
it looks like your email address has not come through on the post...
Old May 28th 2008, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Congo Couple
it looks like your email address has not come through on the post...
must be a security thing lets try it like this so it doesn't look like an e mail address

(SNIP)

don't know if that will work lol

cheers sandra

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 31st 2008 at 1:44 pm. Reason: email removed again ... if you want loads of spam etc I'll leave it if you like!
Old May 28th 2008, 3:21 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelsah
must be a security thing lets try it like this so it doesn't look like an e mail address

sandra watson at hotmail co uk

don't know if that will work lol

cheers sandra
It was intentionally removed by a mod for security reasons. For your protection. You can send someone a private message with your details if you choose.
Old May 28th 2008, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
It was intentionally removed by a mod for security reasons. For your protection. You can send someone a private message with your details if you choose.
oh ok

Thanks very much. Didn't realise that
Old May 31st 2008, 5:20 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

'Scuse me butting in: I don't know pig all about Congo, but I do know for a fact that both of the companies you mentioned have security/risk management/travel security/OHS departments. Their job is to monitor the security situation on the ground and give you an accurate understanding of what you can expect, and what company policy on travel/security procedure/whatever is.

Use them!

It is in their interest to give you an up-to-date and accurate picture of what is going on in Pointe Noire: they don't want to fly you out there and for you to quit two months later because it's too dangerous, or (even worse) to have to fly you home in a jam jar because you underestimated how risky it was.
Old May 31st 2008, 6:37 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Hi guys,

'Scuse me butting in: I don't know pig all about Congo, but I do know for a fact that both of the companies you mentioned have security/risk management/travel security/OHS departments. Their job is to monitor the security situation on the ground and give you an accurate understanding of what you can expect, and what company policy on travel/security procedure/whatever is.

Use them!

It is in their interest to give you an up-to-date and accurate picture of what is going on in Pointe Noire: they don't want to fly you out there and for you to quit two months later because it's too dangerous, or (even worse) to have to fly you home in a jam jar because you underestimated how risky it was.
This is sensible advice and dramatically given. ..jam jar...
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Morgenstille is an unknown quantity at this point

Choose Gabon instead of Congo!!!

Congo Couple, if you have a chance go to Gabon, by far one of the best and most livable countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, do it. Below is an article, it is ten years old but still mirrors the reality on the ground. The country is currently undergoing a second oil boom which is way better managed than the first one. Expats love Gabon. Crime is no problem in Gabon. If you speak French visit this site:

All the best!

Gabon Keeps Strong Links With France

By JAMES BROOKE, SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES
Published: April 23, 1998

In the late 1950's, as the winds of independence swept across Africa, Gabon was the only one of 14 French colonies in Africa to vote to join France as a department or territory.

Rebuffed in this bid for statehood, Gabon's leader, Leon M'Ba, prepared a national flag bearing a small French tricolor in an effort to retain a symbolic bond with France. When Paris rejected even this, the Gabonese very reluctantly joined the line for full independence in 1960.

Today, strong ties with France have evolved and thrived through almost four decades of independence
. Every day but Sunday, an airliner from Paris, Nice or Marseilles arrives at Libreville's airport. Into the bargain, Air Gabon has daily flights between Paris, Marseilles and Libreville. Strolling through the terminal, which is undergoing a multimillion-dollar, French-financed renovation, a visitor will find that the kiosk offers daily newspapers from half a dozen French regional capitals.

Jumping in a taxi - the fare is payable in francs - a visitor has the choice between speeding down the new, French-built Autoroute A1 or cruising down Boulevard General de Gaulle, a palm-lined beach drive.

Boulevard de Gaulle runs past Camp de Gaulle, home to a permanent detachment of 1200 French marines. In addition to this garrison, France gives Gabon $10 million in military aid a year - 410 French army officers and 250 police officers help staff the Gabonese army and police, free training in France for 300 Gabonese soldiers and 850 policemen each year and, twice a year, joint army maneuvers.

The French troops insure political stability here. In 1964, they reversed Gabon's first and only coup, which was against President M'Ba.

President M'Ba died in 1967 and was replaced by Gabon's current ruler, Omar Bongo, a native of Gabon's third-largest city, Franceville.

French Population Rises

Heading toward the city's Petit Paris neighborhood, a visitor passes a showpiece of this city 50 miles north of the Equator - Hypermarket M'Bolo, the largest supermarket in black Africa.

With 52 checkout counters, M'Bolo caters heavily to French tastes - 32 feet of display cases for champagnes, 50 feet for cheeses and 120 feet for wines.

While most shoppers on a recent morning were Gabonese, there was a heavy sprinkling of Europeans. Indeed, the French population has risen from 7,000 at independence to 28,000 today, most of whom turned out to be settlers. The country´s local Gabonese population is just 800 000.

The attraction for foreigners is Gabon's bounteous oil supply, which gives it the highest per capita income in subsaharan Africa, $5,900 in 1997.

Last year, French aid to Gabon amounted to $460 million. This included subsidizing a half of Gabon's budget, extending low-interest trade loans, paying the salaries of 570 French advisers and 1350 French teachers and paying scholarships for most of the roughly 1 800 Gabonese who study in France every year.

According to Le Canard Enchaine, a French opposition weekly, $1.6 million of this aid also went for the interior decoration of a jet belonging to President Bongo.

Although half of Gabon's imports still come from France, President Bongo has sought in recent years to diversify his nation's relations.

In the 1960's and through much of the 1970's, many Africans assailed France's lingering presence in a nation like Gabon as neo-colonialism. Britain was applauded for making a clean break with its colonialist past.

But African public opinion appears to have shifted in the 1980's.

In January, when Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher visited Kenya and Nigeria, articles in Africa's English-language press noted pointedly that it was her first visit to Africa in nine years. President Francois Mitterrand and Jacques Chirac have made almost annual visits to Africa.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Many thanks Morgenstille and Lapin.

I have accepted the job in Congo so will be going there initially in August and permanently in November... hopefully with the girl friend!

We'll certainly be relying on the security info etc from Baker.

Gabon sounds good... maybe next time if we're not too fed up with Africa!

Do you have expat experience else where in west africa?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Congo people I show you some recent pics from Gabon (2007 and 2008)

let me start with Libreville, maybe you have some time when you are in Congo and you can visit Gabon

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

good residential areas

Golf Club

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.