Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Colour-blindness and WA driver license

Colour-blindness and WA driver license

Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

acotiga will become famous soon enough
Default Colour-blindness and WA driver license

Hello, I have a not so severe color-blindness and I wanted to know if in Australia the eyesight test includes a standard ISHIHARA color test. Is colour-blindness a problem in Australia as far as regarding the driver-license? I drive for 5 years and never ever had a problem because of this disorder.

Thank you.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of
Default Re: Colour-blindness and WA driver license

I work with an English guy who's been in WA for 3 years. He's colourblind but has a WA licence.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:09 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acotiga
Hello, I have a not so severe color-blindness and I wanted to know if in Australia the eyesight test includes a standard ISHIHARA color test. Is colour-blindness a problem in Australia as far as regarding the driver-license? I drive for 5 years and never ever had a problem because of this disorder.

Thank you.
Here in WA, the eye test involves looking at the chart with the letters and reading those. There is no test for colour blindness. And there is no question on the form you have to fill in asking if you are colour blind.

In other states it might be different.

Gina
Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:22 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Here in WA, the eye test involves looking at the chart with the letters and reading those. There is no test for colour blindness. And there is no question on the form you have to fill in asking if you are colour blind.

Gina
In Qld, any medical condition that is liable to affect your driving has to be declared or face a $4500 fine and possibel loss or restriction on licence if detected.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:02 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I am colour blind and had no problem getting a licence in Perth.
Old May 4th 2008, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Eammon is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GinaUK

Gina

Hi Gina

Do you (or anyone else out there) know how far you have to be able to read down the chart or what the range is for WA - for example 6/12 for the driving licence eyesight test?

Thanks

Denise
Old May 6th 2008, 12:39 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eammon
Hi Gina

Do you (or anyone else out there) know how far you have to be able to read down the chart or what the range is for WA - for example 6/12 for the driving licence eyesight test?

Thanks

Denise
You can wear your glasses.
Old May 6th 2008, 1:13 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eammon
Hi Gina

Thanks

Denise
Same as in an optician's shop. And yes, you can wear your glasses or contact lenses.

If your eye sight is sufficient for a UK driving licence then you will be o.k. for a WA one as well. I am very short-sighted (-6.5) and can't read down the charts very much. My UK optician always assured me that I was fine for driving and they gave me a licence here as well.

Gina
Old May 6th 2008, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

When I moved from Adelaide to Perth I had to change my licence.
In Adelaide if you wear glasses to drive then when you renew your licence you can keep your glasses on to read the eye test....but there is an 's' restriction on my licence, which means of course that I must wear my glasses at all times when driving.....otherwise........
However here in Perth they made me take my glasses off and read the letters on the bottom line. First eye from right to left, second eye left to right
I couldn't read the bottom line with one of my eyes but they let me off when I read the penultimate line
Old May 6th 2008, 3:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
here in Perth they made me take my glasses off and read the letters on the bottom line. First eye from right to left, second eye left to right line
Maybe they did that to see if you could drive without glasses?

If they'd made me take my contacts out and then read the chart I wouldn't have been able to see the chart

Even with my contact lenses in I can't read the last three lines on the chart.

Gina
Old May 6th 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Maybe the card in 1 meter away from you. Or everything is more like a book that the doctor holds inches from your face

It depends on the ratio distance to card / height of the letter.
Old May 7th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of colour blind people here in WA, Approaching a set of traffic lights and the amber light obviously means put your foot down to a lot of drivers, Red light means you still have plenty of time to get across.
Bloody Madness

John
Old May 7th 2008, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

That's ok since here amber means "Hurry! In a few second it will be red" and red means "Hurry before the others start".
Old May 7th 2008, 3:18 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acotiga
That's ok since here amber means "Hurry! In a few second it will be red" and red means "Hurry before the others start".
I think also in WA, while there are no problems getting a drivers licence if you are colour blind, you get a red coloured licence rather than the usual blue one
Old May 7th 2008, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Ohhh! What a relief! A thought it was gonna be green The mix-ups between normal and "special" license would have been a nightmare for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.