Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Some humour(if we can afford it)

Some humour(if we can afford it)

Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some humour(if we can afford it)

Originally Posted by newshoney
Impartial observer more than fence-sitter, shurely?
Not meant personally, Newshoney... if it was, I'd tell you now, mods or not. No, if there was a slight bite to that draadsitter, it's more an expression of my annoyance at the BBC, which I haven't forgiven for its refusal to use the term 'terrorist' for people who send cripples and Down's Syndrome kids strapped with explosives to blow up innocent men, women, and children.

This the BBC does in the name of 'objectivity'.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
Not meant personally, Newshoney... if it was, I'd tell you now, mods or not. No, if there was a slight bite to that draadsitter, it's more an expression of my annoyance at the BBC, which I haven't forgiven for its refusal to use the term 'terrorist' for people who send cripples and Down's Syndrome kids strapped with explosives to blow up innocent men, women, and children.

This the BBC does in the name of 'objectivity'.
Yep... there was a blanket ban on the T-word altogether. Confusion set in after 9/11 but in general as one man's terrorist (IRA, ANC, PLO et al) is another man's freedom fighter, the BBC tries to stand aloof.

And please don't get me started on the BBC's deficiencies... it was very different 20 years ago when I joined wide-eyed from uni. Like all old-timers everywhere I moan that standards have slipped (if not been dropped altogether), youngsters these days can't spell or do grammar... and of course successive cutbacks mean everyone is doing the work of at least 3 people so there's no time for reflection or correction and far too many mistakes go out on air. Whoops.. must stop the rant right there.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

And please don't get me started on the BBC's deficiencies...
... Me too. It's bad for my already bad blood pressure. I think the worst of it is that the BBC will use the 'T' word on e.g., Radio Four (domestic consumption) but not on the World Service. This, one assumes, is because they know the kind of outcry they can expect otherwise.

As for grammar, ludicrous pronunciations, and general sloppiness, I won't even go there.

Here in Cambridge I am surrounded by people who tell me they 'don't judge'. Needless to say, they judge all the time. They just like to pretend. How I wish they'd take themselves off to the Congo on one of their 'gap years'. When they see a mother forced to hang her own baby then perhaps they'll learn to exercise proper judgement.

When one refuses to take a stand against barbarism on grounds of even-handedness then one has slipped into the realm of decadence.

Nuff said. Where are my blood pressure pills?

Last edited by Pablo; Mar 20th 2008 at 2:03 pm. Reason: you can't proof-read enough!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Ah Congo (the DR formerly known as Zaire?)... suffice to say that in Angola the epithet "Zairense" was used to describe the worst of the worst.

And getting back to the theme of this thread (just in case mitzyboy is watching) Zapiro is my favourite regional cartoonist... did you see his "Bob the Breaker" one?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Nice game reserve... but given that I hope to write truthfully, nothing with "sham" will work. ;
Ha ha, not quite what I meant!! Shamwari is Shona for "Friend". Used a lot and would be quite appropriate in my opinion as a blog on Zim.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rick b
Ha ha, not quite what I meant!! Shamwari is Shona for "Friend". Used a lot and would be quite appropriate in my opinion as a blog on Zim.
Thanks Rick.
much as I love Zim (and agree with you that the political/economic situation is deplorable, Bob is a murdering tyrant... BUT for tourists, it is not actually unsafe)... the intended blog is meant to be about sub-saharan Africa in general so I can post about Angola and other places I visit too.

Does Shamwari have an Ndebele equivalent which hasn't already been snapped up by a lodge or similar?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Thanks Rick.
much as I love Zim (and agree with you that the political/economic situation is deplorable, Bob is a murdering tyrant... BUT for tourists, it is not actually unsafe)... the intended blog is meant to be about sub-saharan Africa in general so I can post about Angola and other places I visit too.

Does Shamwari have an Ndebele equivalent which hasn't already been snapped up by a lodge or similar?
Ah, didn't see the blog was about sun saharan Africa. And as the word is used for a game reserve it probably wouldn't work.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

TigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really nice

Newshoney the Ndebele and Zulu have a lovely exit phrase on parting after meeting - hamba gashle .Not sure of the spelling but the pronunciation for an English speaking person is humba gushle with inflection on the "e" and translated means go (travel) with care. Much better than bye or see you later.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TigerOC
Newshoney the Ndebele and Zulu have a lovely exit phrase on parting after meeting - hamba gashle .Not sure of the spelling but the pronunciation for an English speaking person is humba gushle with inflection on the "e" and translated means go (travel) with care. Much better than bye or see you later.
Lovely idea - travelling with care. I shall be sure to tread lightly with a big smile and open heart.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

The usual spelling is "Hamba Kahle" (Go in peace) in Zulu, and "Uhambe Kahle" (Stay in peace) is an appropriate reply. I don't speak Zulu, apart from a few words, but it's a fascinating language.

We spent a couple of days at Didima (Cathedral Peak) in the Drakensberg last November, and booked a 4 x 4 drive up Mike's Pass because my car doesn't have enough ground clearance. I asked our guide what "Didima" means and he said it didn't mean anything at all. It should be Dudima or Duduma - the sound of thunder in the mountains - which is very appropriate and expressive.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Stay in peace was Sala Gashle