Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

practical assessment step by step

practical assessment step by step

Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

rainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nice
Default practical assessment step by step

We're now in celebration mode for the new year!!!

found this on another forum thought it may help some of you getting ready for the april assessment

Practical Assessment
If you are due to do a practical electrician assessment with VETASSESS, it will take place in City College, Birmingham, and will be over 2 days. It is your responsibility to find accomodation in Birmingham (I did £49 Holiday Inn Express)!
A practical assessment is outlined, and you are provided with an individual work bay in the college. You are provided with info on what is required -ie cables run in conduit (saddle bends etc), surface mounted, distribution board, accessories etc. All materials are provided (eg switches, cable, d/b,mcb's, conduit). At the end (allowed 3hrs) you will need to test the electrical installation (IR and continuity), record results, and finally make the inst. live. I recommend you take your IR/Cont tester (make sure it's calibrated!).
After a brief lunch, you are then given a 3 page written test, and this covers questions such as resistors in parallel, series, units of measurements etc. The type of thing you learn at college....
There are another series of practicals. One of them is to wire a DOL starter from scratch with a remote on and emergency stop. After completion and working, a fault is made on this, and you have to carry out full test proceedures to rectify.
After all this, you are then given a series of technical questions verbally, and then this is followed by a technical interview.
I was absolutely knackered at the end!!
Everything is explained very well to you by the assessor. You are under constant supervision, and throughout the practical assessment you will be asked technical questions, such as expected readings on inspection and testing work, expected earth fault loop readings etc. This is from memory, and you are not allowed any books such as BS7671 on site guide etc.
You are required to wear PPE clothing etc as required by the college.
You will then find out if you have been successful by receipt of letter from Vetassess. The assessor is not able to provide you with the outcome.

It's worth all the hastle, because at the end of the day you are assessed here and not in Oz, and you are able to apply for provisional licence when you arrive in Oz. The assessor is from Box Hill TAFE, which is one of the organisations that carries out assessments of migrants in Oz.

Hope this helps anyone going down the electrician route with Vetassess.

Last edited by rainyandtom; Mar 7th 2008 at 11:35 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

rainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nicerainyandtom is just really nice
Default Re: practical assessment step by step

whoooopppss forgot to delete the other persons top bit !!! i wish we had our visa and vetasess out the way , but we are still at the vetassess stage ourselves, anyone who has completed the paper part of vetassess any help will be appreciated or tips and advise on what they include in the practical
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rainy and tom
Old Mar 8th 2008, 8:32 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

you star!! I'll tell him about this. Thanks ever so much
Old Mar 8th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

I posted this in another thread a few days ago. You may want to get this thread closed by the moderator so it doesn't get too confusing.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517645