The Thyroid Thread

Old Feb 16th 2008, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Underactive thyroid club (oh and high cholesterol too just for good measure!)

I remember reading the 'gastric band/thyroid' thread and paying attention as my sister, mum, aunt and uncle all suffer from underactive thyroids and being conscious that I'd probably join the club one day. It turns out that day was Thursday, rather sooner than I would have liked

And now I've done a search on here and I'm considerably more fed up than I was! In fact, I came out of the doctor's quite positive as far as the thryoid thing was concerned - as she explained it (and she is a sufferer herself), once they get the level of medication right, you take a pill every day and Bob's your mother's brother. But from reading on here, it seems there's a fair old chance that it's not going to be that simple.

In fact, I was initially much more concerned about the results of the cholesterol test done at the same time (as well as liver and kidney function and blood glucose level tests, all of which were fine). I gather that high cholesterol (it was 8) goes with duff thyroids, but never having had a cholesterol test before, we can't know whether it has always been high or if it will go down if/when the thyroid medication gets sorted. I love my dairy products and will really struggle with cutting down or cutting out cheese and butter. And now I've read the 'fat ambulance' thread, I see that wheat might be a problem - and I love bread.

I suspect I'm on the 'not so bad' end of the spectrum, I've got a goodly spread of the symptoms, but not debilitatingly so. I had put down everything to it being winter/rough period at work/going through an early menopause and/or getting older (I'm 45) and would be happy with more energy (and losing the stone I put on in about a month after getting back from our validation trip in November). I've been put on 25 mcg of thyroxine to start with and have to go back for a blood test in 6 weeks so see what difference that's made.

I've seen Tiddlypom and others comments about the T3, T4, TSH hormones and website links and I know I need to find out more, hopefully without turning into a hypercondriac (doctors must hate patients with internet access!). However, I'd really appreciate any tips you seasoned pros might have about dealing with hypothyroidism, what other things I ought to know, ask, etc and also dietary suggestions bearing in mind the high cholesterol.

Thanks in advance folks
Old Feb 16th 2008, 7:52 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Underactive thyroid club (oh and high cholesterol too just for good measure!)

Originally Posted by louie
I remember reading the 'gastric band/thyroid' thread and paying attention as my sister, mum, aunt and uncle all suffer from underactive thyroids and being conscious that I'd probably join the club one day. It turns out that day was Thursday, rather sooner than I would have liked

And now I've done a search on here and I'm considerably more fed up than I was! In fact, I came out of the doctor's quite positive as far as the thryoid thing was concerned - as she explained it (and she is a sufferer herself), once they get the level of medication right, you take a pill every day and Bob's your mother's brother. But from reading on here, it seems there's a fair old chance that it's not going to be that simple.

In fact, I was initially much more concerned about the results of the cholesterol test done at the same time (as well as liver and kidney function and blood glucose level tests, all of which were fine). I gather that high cholesterol (it was 8) goes with duff thyroids, but never having had a cholesterol test before, we can't know whether it has always been high or if it will go down if/when the thyroid medication gets sorted. I love my dairy products and will really struggle with cutting down or cutting out cheese and butter. And now I've read the 'fat ambulance' thread, I see that wheat might be a problem - and I love bread.

I suspect I'm on the 'not so bad' end of the spectrum, I've got a goodly spread of the symptoms, but not debilitatingly so. I had put down everything to it being winter/rough period at work/going through an early menopause and/or getting older (I'm 45) and would be happy with more energy (and losing the stone I put on in about a month after getting back from our validation trip in November). I've been put on 25 mcg of thyroxine to start with and have to go back for a blood test in 6 weeks so see what difference that's made.

I've seen Tiddlypom and others comments about the T3, T4, TSH hormones and website links and I know I need to find out more, hopefully without turning into a hypercondriac (doctors must hate patients with internet access!). However, I'd really appreciate any tips you seasoned pros might have about dealing with hypothyroidism, what other things I ought to know, ask, etc and also dietary suggestions bearing in mind the high cholesterol.

Thanks in advance folks
Ok, well first up, check out your adrenal system.

Did you see the link to Dr Lam?

http://www.drlam.com/A3R_brief_in_do...al_fatigue.cfm

and:

http://www.drlam.com/protocol/diet/a...tique_diet.htm

Modern medical thinking says that thyroid should not be touched before treating adrenals... which you can do yourself.
Sounds like your tests were thorough... that's good.

The only way to get the best treatment is to educate yourself with this illness, otherwise you won't know when you're being handed out shite treatment.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 8:37 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Underactive thyroid club (oh and high cholesterol too just for good measure!)

Originally Posted by louie
But from reading on here, it seems there's a fair old chance that it's not going to be that simple.
Just because others on here have experienced problems.....it doesnt mean you will My mum and her two sisters have been taking thyroxine for around 10 years and have experienced no problems whatsoever. Its only those of us who have had problems that 'air' those problems on forums - if everythings going well for you then the chances are you wont bother to enter into a conversation on a forum about it where people are discussing their thyroid problems. Does that make sense? Basically the ones who are fine with their medication dont feel the need to talk about it.

How are the rest of your family doing?

My advice would be to go along with the doctor (whom you had lots of confidence in until now) and only look into other things if your medication isnt doing the trick.

Underactive thyroid is very very very common and most doctors (especially those who are sufferers themselves) know what they're talking about. Have confidence in your doctor and dont look any further into it until (or if) things still dont feel right. Thats when you'll really need to educate yourself and look at changing doctors if necessary. From what you've said though I think you're in really good hands

good luck with everything and dont let this take over your life - its very treatable

Rach xxxx
Hashi sufferer who now has no Thyroid but a lovely lumpy scar!

Last edited by Mrs Jackaroo; Feb 16th 2008 at 8:41 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Nic is almost def suffering with the Thyroid prob and will have her last test on Tuesday to confirm.

She's told me she wants to pm Ipod () to ask a few questions so look out for the pm Ipod ...
Old Feb 16th 2008, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Nic is almost def suffering with the Thyroid prob and will have her last test on Tuesday to confirm.

She's told me she wants to pm Ipod () to ask a few questions so look out for the pm Ipod ...
Of course lovie.

I'll actually pm you my email addy and then we can talk that way.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Of course lovie.

I'll actually pm you my email addy and then we can talk that way.
Thanks ...
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:32 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm treating mine naturally so can't offer any advice related to thyroxine.

Tiddly is right though, check out oft-related issues like your adrenals. I too had an early menopause (35, although surgical) and it's often hard to tell what's causing what, as symptoms overlap.

Look after your gut. Diet is very important. You may want to restrict foodstuffs that affect your thyroid and can interfere with medication. Soy and cruciferous vegetables spring to mind - I do have a proper list somewhere which I can scan, just let me know if you'd like it.

Exercise regularly but don't overdo it - little and often is best.

A huge part of the battle is over - you're diagnosed. Once you get your meds at the right level, I'm sure you'll find it manageable. Best of luck.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Seasider
As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm treating mine naturally so can't offer any advice related to thyroxine.

Tiddly is right though, check out oft-related issues like your adrenals. I too had an early menopause (35, although surgical) and it's often hard to tell what's causing what, as symptoms overlap.

Look after your gut. Diet is very important. You may want to restrict foodstuffs that affect your thyroid and can interfere with medication. Soy and cruciferous vegetables spring to mind - I do have a proper list somewhere which I can scan, just let me know if you'd like it.

Exercise regularly but don't overdo it - little and often is best.

A huge part of the battle is over - you're diagnosed. Once you get your meds at the right level, I'm sure you'll find it manageable. Best of luck.
I also think personally, that you can't know too much about this illness. It's the only way to get effective treatment.
I think blind confidence in your doctor is dangerous and it's important to make sure you're informed so that you can say 'What do you think about treating this, or using that, or supplementing with this?'
You can always take a print out on what you've found. They don't have time to read everything on one subject if they're a busy GP. If you can draw something to their attention which might help you, do it!

My doc has labelled me an 'expert patient' which is very nice of her. A good doctor should be able to work with you in a team situation, not get annoyed that you've found out something they didn't know. If that's the case, then I'd be finding a new doctor.

Part of the issue with thyroid and adrenal stuff is that the decline is long and slow. In this way, people forget what it truly is to feel totally well again, and because they feel 'all right' on their drugs, they truly don't remember what 'incredible' or 'normal' feels like. Also there's a tendency with thyroid people to believe that they can't get their full health back so they put up with those little niggly symptoms for far too long.

I have yet to hear of a thyroid person totally free of symptoms especially on thyroxine only but of course, it has to happen. Medicine isn't a one size fits all solution and thyroid is no exception.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:51 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely - on almost all of your post.

I read everything I can get my hands on. (I think, in the thread first referred to, I mentioned a couple of good books.) My GP is great; he practices "Integrated Medicine" and often challenges convention. What's convention? Well it's usually sponsored by the drug companies, for one thing. I rarely come out of his surgery without yet another handout to read. I get my own back though, as I usually go in with a long list of questions on my PDA.

I didn't realise what feeling "normal" was - been unwell for so long (IBS since childhood, it seems) that I thought everyone felt like that. The last couple of years have been a revelation.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Seasider
Absolutely - on almost all of your post.

I read everything I can get my hands on. (I think, in the thread first referred to, I mentioned a couple of good books.) My GP is great; he practices "Integrated Medicine" and often challenges convention. What's convention? Well it's usually sponsored by the drug companies, for one thing. I rarely come out of his surgery without yet another handout to read. I get my own back though, as I usually go in with a long list of questions on my PDA.

I didn't realise what feeling "normal" was - been unwell for so long (IBS since childhood, it seems) that I thought everyone felt like that. The last couple of years have been a revelation.
Your GP sounds excellent. That's so refreshing.

Yes since I got onto natural thyroid, I've had a life change. It's been wonderful to feel how other people feel all the time...
Old Feb 17th 2008, 2:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Yes since I got onto natural thyroid, I've had a life change. It's been wonderful to feel how other people feel all the time...
What is this out of curiosity?

I'm prob wrong but I don't think anything is gonna sort Nic out apart from medicine. She's knackered ALL the time, putting on weight even tho she is VERY aware of what is good for her and bad. She rarely drinks, doesn't smoke, and altho I tease her all the time (), she DOESN'T eat cream cakes all day long! She can be a bit of a calorie counter so as I say she's well aware of what's goin in!

She gets about an hour a day of brisk walking. That's 15 mins from car to workplace and back, and we have a dog who gets walked for 30 in the eve.

Of the symptoms listed she is suffering with heaps of them so as I said we're as good as sure it's her thyroid on the wonk!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
What is this out of curiosity?

I'm prob wrong but I don't think anything is gonna sort Nic out apart from medicine. She's knackered ALL the time, putting on weight even tho she is VERY aware of what is good for her and bad. She rarely drinks, doesn't smoke, and altho I tease her all the time (), she DOESN'T eat cream cakes all day long! She can be a bit of a calorie counter so as I say she's well aware of what's goin in!

She gets about an hour a day of brisk walking. That's 15 mins from car to workplace and back, and we have a dog who gets walked for 30 in the eve.

Of the symptoms listed she is suffering with heaps of them so as I said we're as good as sure it's her thyroid on the wonk!

Dessicated Pig Thyroid, which is a natural form of the medication I take (tertroxin).

Here's a little more about it: http://www.holisticlocal.com.au/arti...+Your+Problems
Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
Dessicated Pig Thyroid, which is a natural form of the medication I take (tertroxin).

Here's a little more about it: http://www.holisticlocal.com.au/arti...+Your+Problems
Thanks Wendy ...
Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:03 am
Auntie Fa

Hi PaulandNic - I guess it's Paul? Have you read the other thread where we all did some thyroid-girl-bonding? Let me find the link...

I had pig thyroid for a couple of months but longer-term I take Thyrosol, which is a herbal supplement. My case is different from a lot of the ladies here though, and conventional doctors would argue I don't have a problem. I did, however, have all the symptoms, just the T3 and T4 results were in range.

edit: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505716

Last edited by Kooky.; Feb 17th 2008 at 3:06 am. Reason: To add cross-ref
Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:09 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

this is a great thread i have learned a lot from the links etc.
good that everyone doesn't feel alone in illness. well done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.