Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:19 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute
Default ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

0915 on BBC1

First in the new series 'Wanted Down Under'. Focuses on NZ south island this morning.

Tan
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:00 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

Originally Posted by Tan0410
0915 on BBC1

First in the new series 'Wanted Down Under'. Focuses on NZ south island this morning.

Tan
Cool! Anyone able to capture it and stick it up on You Tube or somesuch so we can check it out on line...? (he asks, somewhat hopefully).

Will let the sis-in-law know as they'll be wanting to see it.

Cheers for the heads up.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:14 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Would love to help you myself but have no idea how?

4 week old baby is also likely to make it impossible for me to work it out before it's aired

A post of this length is about all I can manage between sick and poo episodes!!!

Sorry - can anyone else help?????????????

Tan
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:13 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Would love to help you myself but have no idea how?

4 week old baby is also likely to make it impossible for me to work it out before it's aired

A post of this length is about all I can manage between sick and poo episodes!!!
Hey - I'm sure it'll apear somewhere, at some point in time. Was only being ever hopeful . The wife is on the phone to her sis-in-law now to let her know so cheers

And good luck with the wee one too.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Hey - I'm sure it'll apear somewhere, at some point in time. Was only being ever hopeful . The wife is on the phone to her sis-in-law now to let her know so cheers

And good luck with the wee one too.
Well just watched it on my Sling, but they want to stay in Scotland. I reckon they just wanted a free holiday.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:20 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Well just watched it on my Sling, but they want to stay in Scotland. I reckon they just wanted a free holiday.
Which parts did they visit, did it show NZ in a good light?
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:24 am

Which parts did they visit, did it show NZ in a good light?
Yes - Was in Dunedin and painted the picture postcard image and talked about how much house you can get for your money...but without mentioning interest rates and wage levels etc...

Don't get me wrong...still think we're making the right decision and credit myself with having some intelligence re: doing our research but let's be honest...they don't necessarily paint a realistic picture overall do they? Could save some families a lot of heartache if the programme was just a little more realistic.

Still...programme reminded me of some of the reasons why we're going and we still can't wait

Tan

Last edited by Tan0410; Jan 2nd 2008 at 9:26 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:27 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tan0410;5728817][QUOTE]Which parts did they visit, did it show NZ in a good light?

Yes - Was in Dunedin and painted the picture postcard image and talked about how much house you can get for your money...but without mentioning interest rates and wage levels etc...

Don't get me wrong...can't wait to get out there and credit myself with having some intelligence re: doing our research but let's be honest...they don't necessarily paint a realistic picture overall do they?

Still...programme reminded me of some of the reasons why we're going and we still can't wait

Tan
You cant 'live the dream' till you have lived it....
No matter how much preperations and research you do, it wont prepare you for the actual day to day stuff and the homesickness and the stuff that pops up when you least expect it. But, its good to know what you are letting yourself in for and I love being here and so do my family. Having just gone back to the Uk - it only cemented in my head, I really love living here....
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:33 am

You cant 'live the dream' till you have lived it....
No matter how much preperations and research you do, it wont prepare you for the actual day to day stuff and the homesickness and the stuff that pops up when you least expect it. But, its good to know what you are letting yourself in for and I love being here and so do my family. Having just gone back to the Uk - it only cemented in my head, I really love living here....
This is the kind of thing I currently love to hear... is the miserable month of January in the UK (as you will know) and I'm currently on maternity leave with a four week old. I have sleep deprivation and overall too much time to think about whether we are doing the right thing.... more posts like this will do me the world of good

By the way... don't get me wrong, a four week old baby keeps me busy but I find that I'm constantly thinking about NZ and our decision to go whilst feeding and changing nappies...which is generally what I currently do all day

Tan
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:43 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

0915 on BBC1

Tan

Great show. Actually I don't mean that; Nadia adds very little value and the format is far too patronisingly simplistic to be taken remotely seriously. BBC please take note!

But the family were so lovely. As their friends & family messages reinforced. In fact I could actually relate to them as people which is rare for this show I think.

The main (only?) reason they aren't going is because the 13 year old couldn't face leaving her father (2nd family for the 'mother'), her mother wouldn't leave her behind and so won't put her in the situation where she needs to choose between her two parents. Very admirable. The 13 year old was a real credit to her parents and herself too I thought. I don't think it was for a free holiday. As the Dad summarised, it would be a great move for the long term but with some serious short term costs, namely for their eldest child. A bit sad. I really felt for them as they were such a positive down to Earth family.

Dunedin looked fantastic.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Jan 2nd 2008 at 9:46 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:59 am
CDT
Forum Regular

CDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really nice

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Great show. Actually I don't mean that; Nadia adds very little value and the format is far too patronisingly simplistic to be taken remotely seriously. BBC please take note!

But the family were so lovely. As their friends & family messages reinforced. In fact I could actually relate to them as people which is rare for this show I think.

The main (only?) reason they aren't going is because the 13 year old couldn't face leaving her father (2nd family for the 'mother'), her mother wouldn't leave her behind and so won't put her in the situation where she needs to choose between her two parents. Very admirable. The 13 year old was a real credit to her parents and herself too I thought. I don't think it was for a free holiday. As the Dad summarised, it would be a great move for the long term but with some serious short term costs, namely for their eldest child. A bit sad. I really felt for them as they were such a positive down to Earth family.

Dunedin looked fantastic.

Have to agree about the format of the show! I think even the script is just a carry over from the first series

However, they did seem to be a great family. Hope it all works out for them.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:23 am
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light

Just planned the SKY+ for the remainder of the series.

Thursday is centred on Australia

Friday is New Zealand ( The Hayward family from Hampshire are split, Mum and younger daughter want to emigrate to NZ. Dad and older dont)

Monday is New Zealand ( Vet Matt Turner is looking for a better work/life balance, but would a future in NZ offer him what he dreams of )

Tuesday and Wednesday are Australia again.

Cant scan any further than that ......sorry
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wimpy
Just planned the SKY+ for the remainder of the series.

Thursday is centred on Australia

Friday is New Zealand ( The Hayward family from Hampshire are split, Mum and younger daughter want to emigrate to NZ. Dad and older dont)

Monday is New Zealand ( Vet Matt Turner is looking for a better work/life balance, but would a future in NZ offer him what he dreams of )

Tuesday and Wednesday are Australia again.

Cant scan any further than that ......sorry
Fridays one is about a family form this forum..........for the bloody life of me cannot think of their names now. But I do remember chatting with them a few months back and they were a really nice bunch.

Will be watching that one!!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Kelly H is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh My God!!!
How gorgeous does New Zealand look!!!
I have always had New Zealand in the back of my mind for our move, but, we have been concentrating on Australia and Canada, as I have relatives and friends in both of these countries, but, I think seeing this has made me reevaluate my plans and follow my heart.
I know that we won't have any contacts there, but, you only get one shot at life and I think I should go my own way.
My children and partner were completely taken with it and also the Great New Zealand picture thread on here that we spent the whole of New Years Eve looking at.
Is emigration to NZ similar to Australia?
Is it within a similar sort of time frame?
This is what put us off Canada as it takes so long.
We already have a long enough wait as it is, I am retraining from a teaching/special support assistant to a Child nurse and my partner is training as a welder.
Is this type of work needed out there?
I know nursing seems to be.
Anyway can't wait to see the rest of the shows.
It will keep us going until the training is over and the applications begin.
Kelly.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:16 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33
Fridays one is about a family form this forum..........for the bloody life of me cannot think of their names now. But I do remember chatting with them a few months back and they were a really nice bunch.

Will be watching that one!!

Mandi & Rick. (MandyH?)

The poster above seemed to think the family were split. I believe they decided to move to NZ some time ago and then Rick got cold feet hence their application to the Wanted Down Under Show where she was hoping he would change his mind. As far as I know the outcome is that they are all going.

Couple of things worth pointing out is that this particular family said that an emotional moment from one of the girls who was upset at the cameramen was portrayed as her being upset at the potential move. Additionally the families on the programme do not get to see the edited version before it appears on TV. So I suspect there will be an element of poetic licence to this series, albeit one that I guess they were (kind of) made aware of.

Good to watch. I find it all a bit emotional though. The family today were very emotioally together, but I felt my eyes glaze over several times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.