Reload this Page >

No passport...!

No passport...!

Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Mike Oxlong is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb No passport...!

Quick summary...

Been here for five years without papers and such (hooked up with a girl whilst here for a wedding - turns out she wasn't 'the one').

My passport ran out last year although I misplaced it one month prior to it's end date. My Father's not too well and it's time to go and see him before that isn't possible anymore.
If I get a passport through official channels here, will it cause me problems for future visits? Or should I act like I'm still in the UK and get someone to help me from that end? Anyone who has been in this situation or knows my best course of action?

thanks
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No passport...!

You would get a Passport from Washington, they are very quick.

I wouldn't asume any future visits to the US for a very long time. On what basis do you think you would get a visa and waiver for the overstay?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Dec 5th 2007 at 12:16 am.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 12:02 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Boiler;5633687
I wouldn't asume any future visits to the US for a very long time. On what basis do you think you would get a visa and waiver fo the overstay?[/QUOTE]

The passport is half the battle. Sorting out your overstay (assuming you overstayed) is going to be a real battle if you want to come back. There are countless threads here--just search 'overstay' and you'll find some information.

Technically, if you have overstayed as long as it sounds, you are banned from reentering the US for the next decade (10 years).
Old Dec 5th 2007, 12:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Technically, if you have overstayed as long as it sounds, you are banned from reentering the US for the next decade (10 years).
unless he stayed and married a USC to AOS...not getting around it really.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mike Oxlong
Quick summary...

If I get a passport through official channels here, will it cause me problems for future visits? Or should I act like I'm still in the UK and get someone to help me from that end?
You are entitled to the passport - all you have to do is fill in the form and pay the fee. I appreciate that a passport issued over here will indicate that fact, but I think that's going to be the least of your problems and is not going to be the only way that the USCIS may discover that you have overstayed.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 3:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
You are entitled to the passport - all you have to do is fill in the form and pay the fee. I appreciate that a passport issued over here will indicate that fact, but I think that's going to be the least of your problems and is not going to be the only way that the USCIS may discover that you have overstayed.
I doubt ver much that the BP check where a Passport is issued.

They will know when he entered and know when he left, unless he swims.

He does not need a Passport to leave the US, no Immigration inspection this end, he does to enter the UK and obviously the Airline will check that he can enter the UK before issuing a Boarding Ticket.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 3:39 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Bye.

See you in a decade or so, when they let you back for a visit.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Boiler
I doubt ver much that the BP check where a Passport is issued.

They will know when he entered and know when he left, unless he swims.

He does not need a Passport to leave the US, no Immigration inspection this end, he does to enter the UK and obviously the Airline will check that he can enter the UK before issuing a Boarding Ticket.
Yes, that's precisely my point - there is no point worrying about where to get the passport issued, because it's going to make absolutely no difference to his real problem.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:00 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not go to Canada, apply for a UK passport from the UK High Commission in Ottawa, and then you'll have no problems entering the US in the future. They won't have records of your overstay and your UK passport won't have been issued in the US. If you can show the Canadian border guards a plane ticket from Canada to the UK, so much the better.

Robin
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:22 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Why not go to Canada, apply for a UK passport from the UK High Commission in Ottawa, and then you'll have no problems entering the US in the future. They won't have records of your overstay and your UK passport won't have been issued in the US. If you can show the Canadian border guards a plane ticket from Canada to the UK, so much the better.

Robin
What makes you think they would not have a record of the overstay? Wouldn't that be based on whether they had proof he had left before an overstay situation occured? Also, what documentation would you suggest the OP use to get to Canada?
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Robin

What if the Canadians ask about his status in the US? Sounds like the OP has a serious problem. He should be talking to a lawyer, not getting dodgy advice from the web.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
What makes you think they would not have a record of the overstay? Wouldn't that be based on whether they had proof he had left before an overstay situation occured? Also, what documentation would you suggest the OP use to get to Canada?
Travelling by road Canadian immigration used to be quite lax...if you waved a UK PP at them they often waved you through without looking at the PP. This last year or so they have really tightened up on people crossing the border. Every time we go through whether we use a UK or US PP we are asked where we are going, what is the purpose for our visit and how long we will be in Canada. Last time we crossed I was even asked for documentation of shots for my dogs.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:13 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Why not go to Canada, apply for a UK passport from the UK High Commission in Ottawa, and then you'll have no problems entering the US in the future.
You need a passport to get out of the US, but it's not always swiped through the computer. I don't know the details of that.

You could get a UK passport from the UK embassy in Washington (it's none of their business what your immigration status in the US is - and for all they know, you could have a US passport, which is why there's no missing visa) and then duck through Canada/Mexico on your way to the UK.

The question then is whether there is a record of your overstay from x years ago. If not, you could get a visa waiver and do another bunk. If there is - you could be in trouble. I'm not recommending that, and you'd be taking a gamble - but it's all up to you.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
You need a passport to get out of the US, but it's not always swiped through the computer. I don't know the details of that.

You could get a UK passport from the UK embassy in Washington (it's none of their business what your immigration status in the US is - and for all they know, you could have a US passport, which is why there's no missing visa) and then duck through Canada/Mexico on your way to the UK.

The question then is whether there is a record of your overstay from x years ago. If not, you could get a visa waiver and do another bunk. If there is - you could be in trouble. I'm not recommending that, and you'd be taking a gamble - but it's all up to you.
In my experience Canadian immigration always swipe your PP...it didn't used to be the case but it certainly seems to be now.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

When I drove up earlier this year, Canadian Immigration checked for my US non-immigrant visa and valid I-94 - they clearly want to make sure you're readmissible to the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.