Can I Land With No Money????

Old Nov 4th 2007, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Peter Lowestoft will become famous soon enough
Default Can I Land With No Money????

Hi All..
I am hoping to land in Toronto with Visa in hand in early 2008 to then take tests/interview for York Region Police. If successful I will return to UK, quit work, sell house, collect family etc...
My question, when I arrive at customs to land the first time would I need proof of money with me there and then, or just proof that I do have it to bring later on..and...
Once landed (the first time) would I get a PR Card straight away, or some form of reference number to refer to when applying for work..
Hope this makes sense...
Cheers...
Pete..
Old Nov 4th 2007, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I Land With No Money????

You can land carrying no money provided you have bank statements, etc, to prove you have it available. I think I had about twenty pounds in my wallet when I landed, but had bank statements for another $200,000+ on top of that.

PR card will take a couple of months to arrive in the mail, but you can get a SIN number the day you land, if you can get to a government office that issues them (the SIN card will take about a week to arrive in the mail). The SIN is the important element for getting paid after you start work.

Edit: also, I wasn't asked to show any proof of funds, only to say how much I had available. That seems the norm for people landing from the UK.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarkG
You can land carrying no money provided you have bank statements, etc, to prove you have it available. I think I had about twenty pounds in my wallet when I landed, but had bank statements for another $200,000+ on top of that.

PR card will take a couple of months to arrive in the mail, but you can get a SIN number the day you land, if you can get to a government office that issues them (the SIN card will take about a week to arrive in the mail). The SIN is the important element for getting paid after you start work.

Edit: also, I wasn't asked to show any proof of funds, only to say how much I had available. That seems the norm for people landing from the UK.
Thanks MarkG,
Think I will take mortgage statement and house valuation just in cae, that was good enough for the embassy!!!
Anyway, with the exchange rate going through the floor I'll be lucky to have enough to buy a Tim Hortons.....
Cheers
Old Nov 6th 2007, 6:58 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peter Lowestoft
Thanks MarkG,
Think I will take mortgage statement and house valuation just in cae, that was good enough for the embassy!!!
Anyway, with the exchange rate going through the floor I'll be lucky to have enough to buy a Tim Hortons.....
Cheers
You might want to be able to show cash as CIC London is quite unusual in allowing you to count the equity in your property.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think it has to be in liquid assets at the time of landing. Not sure if it has to be in a canadian institution too if not cash. Probably not, but worth finding out for sure.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

We had 'bugger all' when we landed at Calgary last December - but I came armed to the back teeth with solicitor's letter and statement showing what the proceeds of the house sale would be. I also brought the house valuation and mortgage statements just in case.

None of it was checked !

"How much money are you bringing with you?"
"$XXX,000"
"Ok then"
!!

Alternatively - and I would never advocate such a thing - blag £20,000 from a rich relative for a couple of months - stick in your savings account at least a month or so before landing - and then take a very recent bank statement, or have on-line access to said bank account so that if you are asked to show them proof whilst in the airport, you can do so .....
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:16 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Alternatively - and I would never advocate such a thing - blag £20,000 from a rich relative for a couple of months - stick in your savings account at least a month or so before landing - and then take a very recent bank statement, or have on-line access to said bank account so that if you are asked to show them proof whilst in the airport, you can do so .....

Mmmmmmm <rubs chin> borrow £20k from someone and leave the country, I wonder.........
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

We had our bank statement with us, and around $50 in cash!
No one asked us a thing, in fact no one wanted to see our good to follow or goods accompanied either.
I felt kind of cheated after all that organising!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ann m
We had 'bugger all' when we landed at Calgary last December - but I came armed to the back teeth with solicitor's letter and statement showing what the proceeds of the house sale would be. I also brought the house valuation and mortgage statements just in case.

None of it was checked !

"How much money are you bringing with you?"
"$XXX,000"
"Ok then"
!!

Cheers Ann M,
Any chance of the address of your rich relative
House won't be sold at time of landing so will have to take solicitors letter, valuation etc...
Old Nov 10th 2007, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter Lowestoft
Cheers Ann M,
Any chance of the address of your rich relative
They're not rich anymore