Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Canberra - where to stay for a few weeks?

Canberra - where to stay for a few weeks?

Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

walkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the rough
Default Canberra - where to stay for a few weeks?

As you sizzle yer spring ribeyes over the old smokey in downtown Canberra i thought i'd throw this open for ideas...

We are arriving in Canberra on 5th Oct (flights booked! Yeow!!) and are looking for accomodation for about 8 weeks. We're looking to buy a house in ACT asap so will rush round and _hopefully_ move into our new abode within 8 weeks of arriving (are we being a tad optimistic here?).

I've written to the Carotel place asking for a quote for a small bungalow but thought I'd ask you folk for any ideas. Any ideas?

Cheers all!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 6:31 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canberra - where to stay for a few weeks?

Hi unable to recommend anything as I'm still here and not there but perhaps the links may be of some use. All the best with your move - you lucky thing.

http://www.stayz.com.au/11941

http://www.banksiaapartments.com.au/pictures.html

http://www.canberra-apartments.com.au/

http://www.canbhol.com.au/curtin.htm

http://www.canberrafurnished.com.au/rates.htm

http://www.canberra.stays.com.au/are..._canberra.html
Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

walkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the rough

Thanks K, more work...

When are you off out? Dont say you are in the waiting game too!?

Thanks again

Mat
Old Sep 12th 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walkermat
Thanks K, more work...

When are you off out? Dont say you are in the waiting game too!?

Thanks again

Mat
Hiya Mat

Killamarsh is a an ozzie and she is on her way in a while - just been sorting out arrangements for her son - who had the misfortune to be the son of a B*****d. check out some of her posts to get the full story
Old Sep 13th 2007, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really nice

Hiya

We too are Canberra bound. Put the house on the market on Saturday and it sold in 4 days! We are flying out mid January and will be initially staying in Theodore at the Brother in Laws. We will be looking to either rent or buy quite quickly as I think we may well outstay our welcome as we have 3 largish dogs - which might also prove a problem renting.

Good Luck

Hel
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hel&Will
Hiya

We too are Canberra bound. Put the house on the market on Saturday and it sold in 4 days! We are flying out mid January and will be initially staying in Theodore at the Brother in Laws. We will be looking to either rent or buy quite quickly as I think we may well outstay our welcome as we have 3 largish dogs - which might also prove a problem renting.

Good Luck

Hel

Good luck in your move - look forward to meeting you at some point
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really nice

Thanks Sas

Look forward to joining one of the Canberra meet ups in 2008.

Starting to panic a bit now as its all becoming very real!

Told my boss today that I would be leaving at the end of the year and they want to keep me on a retainer for a few months to keep an eye on the accounts system and whoever takes over from me (by remote access over the net). At least that gives me a bit of breathing space when we arrive which is good as we will have soooo much to sort out!

Hel
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

H&W - The Canberra crowd are very helpful, sound daft as brushes but have reduced our stress down to minimal proportions! We havent actual gone yet (will arrive 5th Oct) but there is a small (but growing) recentish UK contingent there who are friendly and very helpful.

Sounds like you too are an ITer - the barbies are sounding more and more like a geek fest every day - i'll be TSing to UK boxes as well so i'll let you know what the time-lag is like.

Reality loooms Sooner better than later and good luck

Last edited by walkermat; Sep 19th 2007 at 8:32 pm. Reason: typo
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see that more folk are coming to Canberra! Lots of houses on the market but the prices are getting ridiculous! I guess you have all seen allhomes.com.au for a good selection of what is available to buy or rent in the area.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

OOOH a thread on canberra! Hello all, add us to the list for those coming to ACT. Hope to be there before christmas (delays at LCU permiting). Did you all choose canberra or did it choose you so to speak. (When we tell people where we are going they seem a bit surprised )
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hya black cat, both really. We wanted either Adelaide or Canberra. Then possible work came up in Canberra and so that is where we are going.

Visited both in 2004 (and me visited Canberra again in 2006), so we know kinda what to expect.... You?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

Hya black cat, both really. We wanted either Adelaide or Canberra. Then possible work came up in Canberra and so that is where we are going.

Visited both in 2004 (and me visited Canberra again in 2006), so we know kinda what to expect.... You?
we are going under RSMS visa, oh got offered a job when we were out there on a reccie at easter so know a little of what to expect. Cant decide where we want to live etc. ( prob more defined in where we can afford!) I cant wait to get there now! (just need LCU to pull there fingers out, and the house sale not to fall out of bed!)
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Well there are a lot of friendlies there to help pick a place. We are not too concerned where as work will be in Civic and most places can get us there ok.

Congrats at getting a job sorted, always lessens the strain and stress! Let us all know when you are there and a Barbie will soon follow probably!
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well there are a lot of friendlies there to help pick a place. We are not too concerned where as work will be in Civic and most places can get us there ok.

Congrats at getting a job sorted, always lessens the strain and stress! Let us all know when you are there and a Barbie will soon follow probably!

Hey - just over a week to go now! Bet you are full of mixed emotions???

I will pm you my phone numbers later - so you can give me a ring/sms if you need to ask any thing (stupid or otherwise)
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Blackcat

OH parents and brother all live in ACT and they have sponsored us. We came over for a month in 2003 and 2006/2007 and loved it ( but do wish it was a little nearer the coast).

Sold house last week STC and booked flights for 8th January. Finally get to Canberra around 22nd January as we are going via South Africa as our stopover. Spending Christmas with family in UK as we were in Oz last Christmas hence the wait till January.

I know what you mean about people being surprised when we say we are going to Canberra - most say "wheres that"!

Good luck with your move

Hel

Originally Posted by black cat
OOOH a thread on canberra! Hello all, add us to the list for those coming to ACT. Hope to be there before christmas (delays at LCU permiting). Did you all choose canberra or did it choose you so to speak. (When we tell people where we are going they seem a bit surprised )