Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

hi all new member.

hi all new member.

Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

sasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the rough
Talking hi all new member.

can any one tell me how hot it gets in auckland as we are thinking of moving from the UK to NZ thank you steve.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Professional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to all
Default Re: hi all new member.

heres a comparison of temperatures:
http://www.emigratenz.org/NewZealandClimate.html
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:16 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by bird family
can any one tell me how hot it gets in auckland as we are thinking of moving from the UK to NZ thank you steve.

That's certainly the most important consideration if one is to upsticks and move 12,000 miles away.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:03 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz

That's certainly the most important consideration if one is to upsticks and move 12,000 miles away.
he didn't ask how wet he might get in Auckland should someone tell him
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

jaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
he didn't ask how wet he might get in Auckland should someone tell him

Didn't know it was wet in Auckland
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:10 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Higher annual rainfall than Christchurch and humid
Old Aug 14th 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi were in auckland
not experienced a summer yet....but the winters been quite good.....

yeh it does rain....but the sun can be out 10 mins later....we are sitting outside in the sun,probablyabout 15% today......

locals are walking around with hats and scarfswere sunbathing
Old Aug 15th 2007, 1:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Kia Ora Bird Family & welcome to this NZ forum.

Dual purpose sunshade/rain umbrellas are quite cheap here. I could do you a good deal on a large multi-coloured jobby languishing in a cupboard.
We don't need one as we live top end of the South Island.

Seriously, are you tied to Auckland ? NZ weather is extremely diverse all over the country.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

sasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the rough

thank you for your reply. Not tied to looking in aukland but heard it was a better city and easier to get a job there.
where are you based on the south island. we are all new to this and any information would be greatly appreciated. we did try to get into the USA
but had no luck there as was almost impossible. We are looking for a better life for our grown up children and have heard new zealand is the place to be.
linda (steves wife)
Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:38 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

thank you for your reply. Not tied to looking in aukland but heard it was a better city and easier to get a job there.
where are you based on the south island. we are all new to this and any information would be greatly appreciated. we did try to get into the USA
but had no luck there as was almost impossible. We are looking for a better life for our grown up children and have heard new zealand is the place to be.
linda (steves wife)
Hi Linda,

What do you bring to the table? Tell us a little about yourself, you know, about what you can do. I wouldn't worry too much about where to live in New Zealand at this stage. You should be more focused on getting residency. Once granted permanent residency you can choose the area in which you can afford.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Linda,

What do you bring to the table? Tell us a little about yourself, you know, about what you can do. I wouldn't worry too much about where to live in New Zealand at this stage. You should be more focused on getting residency. Once granted permanent residency you can choose the area in which you can afford.
Hi Happynz thanks for your reply. We are a family wishing to move to NZ . My husband is a Mobile Crane Driver and has been so for 25 years. My son is a banksman/coordinator and also a qualified plumber. My daughter a administration assistant and her fiancee a qualified scaffolder. Myself I am a Shop assistant at present. We would look at renting somewhere for the first year whilst we got to know the locations. We have a house here to sell and one that has just sold but think it would be best to rent for the first year until we found our feet. Any help we receive from this site would be greatly appreciated. We also have a dog so any advice in that area regarding quarantine etc would help. Thank you .
Can you tell me how long you have been there and where you moved from,
this is so new to me and any advice regarding areas, weather in areas, employment, etc would be very much appreciated. Linda
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:07 pm

Hi Happynz thanks for your reply. We are a family wishing to move to NZ .
Hi there.
My husband is a Mobile Crane Driver and has been so for 25 years.
Sounds like a marketable skill. How old is your husband?
My son is a banksman/coordinator and also a qualified plumber.
He shouldn't have too much trouble finding work. New Zealand really needs qualified tradesmen. BEVShere is our resident expert on plumber related employment and requirements. I'm sure she could point you in the right direction there.
My daughter is an administration assistant and her fiancee a qualified scaffolder.
He'd stand the better chance at getting approved for residency. They don't have to be married. If they have been in a de facto relationship for over twelve months ie. living together.
Myself I am a Shop assistant at present.
Better you apply with your husband as the principle applicantas shop assistant is not considered skilled labour.
We would look at renting somewhere for the first year whilst we got to know the locations. We have a house here to sell and one that has just sold but think it would be best to rent for the first year until we found our feet.
I think that's a wise thing to do.
Any help we receive from this site would be greatly appreciated.
Happy to oblige.
We also have a dog so any advice in that area regarding quarantine etc would help.
It can be done but it will cost you a packet. I don't have a dog or cat so I didn't have the expense of shipping an animal over, but from my readings on this site it seems to be a fairly large financial consideration.
Can you tell me how long you have been there and where you moved from.
I've been here since January 2002, futzed around on temporary work permits before pulling my finger out of my (you choose the orifice) and applied for PR which was granted July 2006.
I'm from the great state of California.

this is so new to me and any advice regarding areas, weather in areas, employment, etc would be very much appreciated. Linda
It does seem a bit overwhelming at first. As far as the weather goes, don't worry. New Zealand has about 104 seasons a day. You will be bound to like a part of each day.
I think you need to focus on employment, salaries, what kind of housing you would like, what you can afford and what you think you'd get out of moving twelve thousand miles from your birthplace.
Also, there is that matter of securing permission to legally live and work here in New Zealand.
So yeah, it sounds to me that you have a whole lot of things to think about and a million and a half things to ask. Don't be shy about it. Ask away.

Good luck and hope to see you here.

Last edited by happynz; Aug 15th 2007 at 7:10 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there.
Sounds like a marketable skill. How old is your husband?
He shouldn't have too much trouble finding work. New Zealand really needs qualified tradesmen. BEVShere is our resident expert on plumber related employment and requirements. I'm sure she could point you in the right direction there.
He'd stand the better chance at getting approved for residency. They don't have to be married. If they have been in a de facto relationship for over twelve months ie. living together.
Better you apply with your husband as the principle applicantas shop assistant is not considered skilled labour.

I think that's a wise thing to do.
Happy to oblige.
It can be done but it will cost you a packet. I don't have a dog or cat so I didn't have the expense of shipping an animal over, but from my readings on this site it seems to be a fairly large financial consideration.
I've been here since January 2002, futzed around on temporary work permits before pulling my finger out of my (you choose the orifice) and applied for PR which was granted July 2006.
I'm from the great state of California.

It does seem a bit overwhelming at first. As far as the weather goes, don't worry. New Zealand has about 104 seasons a day. You will be bound to like a part of each day.
I think you need to focus on employment, salaries, what kind of housing you would like, what you can afford and what you think you'd get out of moving twelve thousand miles from your birthplace.
Also, there is that matter of securing permission to legally live and work here in New Zealand.
So yeah, it sounds to me that you have a whole lot of things to think about and a million and a half things to ask. Don't be shy about it. Ask away.

Good luck and hope to see you here.
Happy NZ thank you for your reply, all noted.
my husband is 49 my son is 20 my daughter is 18 fiancee is 20 and me im 43
we are going on holiday to phoenix for one week and the second week in
san dieago california.we love the usa and would move there tommorrow is permitted.
thanks for your reply
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:57 pm

Happy NZ thank you for your reply, all noted.
my husband is 49 my son is 20 my daughter is 18 fiancee is 20 and me im 43
we are going on holiday to phoenix for one week and the second week in
san diego california. we love the usa and would move there tomorrow if permitted.
thanks for your reply
I wouldn't mind San Diego myself. I went to university there for a spell. My house was across the canyon from the San Diego Zoo and my alarm clock was the roar from the lions' morning feed. How cool is that! Sadly, the only way I could afford to live now in San Diego is not to live in San Diego but to live in Tijuana and commute across the border. Hmmm...that's an idea. Nah, my wife wouldn't be too keen on that. Anyway, I digress.

You and the husband are still young enough to get some points. Your children are probably too old to qualify as dependents and so would have to apply on their own merits.
Your best bet is to come here for a spell and line up some face to face interviews. New Zealand employers are inundated with applicants from overseas and unless the applicant has skills which are in desperate short supply your applications or enquiries go into the 'can't be bothered' tray. They would tend to look more favourably upon a job seeker if the applicant is on the ground.

All the best...

-happynz
Old Aug 15th 2007, 11:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

My house was across the canyon from the San Diego Zoo and my alarm clock was the roar from the lions' morning feed. How cool is that!
Maaannn, that is the coolest of all things cool IMO.

As for the Bird family - Mr & Mrs Bird and all the younger Birds & Birdettes - boy, have you chosen the right country to focus on. Forget San Diego and its cool lions .Pah !

Plumbers (NZIS71231) are on the Long Term Shortage List here . They are sorely need all over the country. Tell me about his
1] training
2] qualifications
3] work experience int he trade.

Scaffolder (NZIS 84114) is also on the Immediate shortage List and wanted all over the country.

Crane Operators (NZIS 83331) are on the Immediate Shortage List. They are also wanted all over New Zealand.

As per the plumber, can you bung over what quals, training and work exp they have.

Please take a good look around the NZIS

Check out
work permits/visa
Residents
Skilled Migrant categories.

On the right you will see a link to the Immediate and Long Term shortage lists. Take a look. No harm in becoming a bit familiar with the NZIS website.

Also check out the POINTS INDICATOR

There is an NZ expo coming up in London shortly . you may all find it helpful and interesting.

LONDON NZ EXPO

As per HappyNZ suggestion, if you could all come out to NZ on a reccy with possible interviews lined up, I think you would go away with job offers and a better idea of what you want from your NZ lifestyle.

Tradesmen are wanted everywhere. You will not be confined to a city. You could pick your area/ town/village.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.