Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does IBAN exist in Canada?

Does IBAN exist in Canada?

Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

uprightdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does IBAN exist in Canada?

I am attempting to do a SWIFT transaction of funds between my bank - The Co-operative - in the UK and my new bank - TD - in Canada. The Co-op are insisting that I provide an IBAN code, whereas TD are insisting that they do not have an IBAN code.

Anyone know what is going on here...?
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does IBAN exist in Canada?

You are stuck in the black hole, where one agency say it is impossible to do something with a certain code that the agency say doesn't exist.

Other people call it a nightmare.

My OH had a similar problem with HSBC in the UK and Canada - they refused to talk to each other as well!

I wish you luck, hope your head doesn't get too sore from banging it against the inevitable brick wall, and sorry I haven't got the answer
Old Aug 10th 2007, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

gt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by uprightdog
I am attempting to do a SWIFT transaction of funds between my bank - The Co-operative - in the UK and my new bank - TD - in Canada. The Co-op are insisting that I provide an IBAN code, whereas TD are insisting that they do not have an IBAN code.

I'm not a Co-operative customer but make sure you are talking to the Bank's foreign department on 0161 872 0850

The IBAN was developed to facilitate payments within the European Union and has since been made a global standard.

However, IBAN codes have not yet been widely adopted outside Europe.

The Co-op should be able to do it using a Bank Identifier Code (BIC) that TD should supply.

Even their own website states:

'The minimum information that is required to make a SWIFT transfer is the account number, the name and address of the receiving Bank and the name of the beneficiary. In addition all Bank's have a SWIFT code and if this is known for the recipient Bank this should be quoted.'

Regards
Sunil
Old Aug 10th 2007, 11:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you need to go back to the Co-op and tell them they are wrong:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBAN

The IBAN code is not widely used outside Europe.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 6:50 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Canadian banks don't use IBAN or sort codes, they just use a SWIFT Code which contains all the info required.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 4:16 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

They do have sort codes, but this is no help for an international transfer. Canadian banks have ABA (American Banking Association) numbers, not IBAN numbers. However, they all have SWIFT addresses which any bank in the world can use to direct payments. The Co-op is wrong.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Hey there - I transferred money between TD bank and the Cooperative in the UK last year - used a unique bank id code and then just name, address and account number. So I know for a fact it can be done Canada to UK - just don't know the other way round I'm afraid. I agree with the advice given above about making sure you talk to the international banking person.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I deal with T-D Canada Trust and have had money wired into my account from the UK. Not sure what bank in the UK though. All I needed was the Swiftcode, the Institute No. (which is 004 for T-D Canada Trust) the Transit No., which I believe is my branch no. and my account no.

I have never heard of or been asked for IBAN and I have no idea what it stands for. What does it stand for?

I would mention though that I was wired money three times by the same person (presumably from the same bank although I haven't asked). Then the fourth time - he instructed his bank but the money never got to my bank. He also told me that this happened with other people too. He had wired money to them successfully and then for some reason it never arrived at the destination. With me, he tried again, instructed his bank on June 23rd but for some reason the money did not leave his bank account until June 30th. He said it was a mystery as to why this happened. He now says he will pay me by Paypal the next time. The problem has to be with his bank and not mine!
Old Aug 12th 2007, 5:46 am
Just Joined

paulah is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wired money from the UK to my bank account in Canada all they need was a swift code. address of bank and your account number
Old Aug 12th 2007, 4:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I have never heard of or been asked for IBAN and I have no idea what it stands for. What does it stand for?
The answer is in post #4 of this thread.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

GladImOut has a spectacular aura aboutGladImOut has a spectacular aura aboutGladImOut has a spectacular aura about

UprightDog,

5 minutes ago I transferred money from Spain to Canada (TD Canada Trust) without problems.

I used the Internet from my bank's website here in Spain. "Sabadell Atlantico", one of the very few things that Spain has got a handle on.

When the screen form asked for IBAN I put in the following:-

004 (Bank code for TD Canada Trust) - followed by the recipient's Canadian bank's branch number (5 digits)- xxxxx - followed by the recipient's account number (7 digits) - xxxxxxx. ............. NO spaces between any of the numbers.

Everything went through fine.

So to reiterate, when prompted for IBAN number:-

1. Bank's identification number -004-
2. Branch number
3. Account number.
Remember NO spaces.....at least with my internet bank.

One other thing!!!!! I was asked for a SWIFT code which in my case was TDOMCATTTOR. When I inserted these letters my own bank recognised this immediately as the TD Canada Trust bank.

I hope this can help clear up things.

Regards to all you expats in Canada, from a very happy EX-PATRIA living in a village north of Barcelona in the mountains who should have moved 20 years ago

Stephen
Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

GladImOut has a spectacular aura aboutGladImOut has a spectacular aura aboutGladImOut has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lizwil98

I would mention though that I was wired money three times by the same person (presumably from the same bank although I haven't asked).
Mmmmmmmm I always humbled when I receive without question