Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Moral Dilemma when 'offloading' your Goan home ?

Moral Dilemma when 'offloading' your Goan home ?

Old Aug 6th 2007, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

indiapurple will become famous soon enoughindiapurple will become famous soon enough
Default Moral Dilemma when 'offloading' your Goan home ?

Hi all

As I've mentioned in previous posts (somewhere on here) we have now been given assurance by our developer that he will help us to 'sell'. The time is fast approaching, we go back on 4th September.

We have a lovely house in Goa...in a fantastic spot, fabulous views, thousand times nicer and bigger than my home in the UK. I know for a fact it will attract FN's, my neighbours who are there now say people of all nationalites ask to buy it on a regular basis.

Here lies our dilemma. We want to 'sell' only to those who qualify.
But what if a FN really insists even after we have pointed out all the drawbacks or what if our developer doesnt allow us to discriminate?

I ask this because whilst we were there in April this year we met a lovely couple. They were renting but want to buy a Regal home from Shelly. He refused repeatedly because of the tightening of the laws. They virtually camped out at Seashell and 'begged' him on a daily basis to sell to them. In the end he relented on the condition that they set up a company?? They were over the moon!!

My point is that there are still FN's out there who are still willing to risk all and if we had no scruples we could probably 'get rid' very very quickly.

I would appreciate your comments to what you would do if we are put in this situation.
thanks
Indiapurple
Old Aug 6th 2007, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moral Dilemma when 'offloading' your Goan home ?

Originally Posted by indiapurple
Hi all

As I've mentioned in previous posts (somewhere on here) we have now been given assurance by our developer that he will help us to 'sell'. The time is fast approaching, we go back on 4th September.

We have a lovely house in Goa...in a fantastic spot, fabulous views, thousand times nicer and bigger than my home in the UK. I know for a fact it will attract FN's, my neighbours who are there now say people of all nationalites ask to buy it on a regular basis.

But what if a FN really insists even after we have pointed out all the drawbacks or what if our developer doesnt allow us to discriminate?

I ask this because whilst we were there in April this year we met a lovely couple. They were renting but want to buy a Regal home from Shelly. He refused repeatedly because of the tightening of the laws. They virtually camped out at Seashell and 'begged' him on a daily basis to sell to them. In the end he relented on the condition that they set up a company?? They were over the moon!!

My point is that there are still FN's out there who are still willing to risk all and if we had no scruples we could probably 'get rid' very very quickly.

I would appreciate your comments to what you would do if we are put in this situation.
thanks
Indiapurple
Hi indiapurple,

This is obviously a personal moral dilemma. In my case i am waiting for clearance from d of e and rbi in order to sell my freehold.

If and when that clearance comes, i would not sell to a FN (even if he were by some miracle deemed resident)

If you only have an agreement to sale, as i have said before you have nothing to sell. The freeholder will make the sale and there are plenty of indians , pios and nris who wish to buy (at the moment) I cannot believe that you would put another FN in the same position that you are in.

FNs are not welcome in goa and no form of convoluted agreement is going to change that.

regards
douglas
Old Aug 6th 2007, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

indiapurple will become famous soon enoughindiapurple will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi indiapurple,

This is obviously a personal moral dilemma. In my case i am waiting for clearance from d of e and rbi in order to sell my freehold.

If and when that clearance comes, i would not sell to a FN (even if he were by some miracle deemed resident)

If you only have an agreement to sale, as i have said before you have nothing to sell. The freeholder will make the sale and there are plenty of indians , pios and nris who wish to buy (at the moment) I cannot believe that you would put another FN in the same position that you are in.

FNs are not welcome in goa and no form of convoluted agreement is going to change that.

regards
douglas
Hi Douglas

The fact that we have nothing to 'sell' is highly relevant and it is true that the freeholder will make the sale.
But then technically, if we have nothing to 'sell' it won't be us putting another FN in the same position as us?...this was my point, it may very well be out of our control.
regards
Indiapurple
Old Aug 6th 2007, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Hi Douglas

The fact that we have nothing to 'sell' is highly relevant and it is true that the freeholder will make the sale.
But then technically, if we have nothing to 'sell' it won't be us putting another FN in the same position as us?...this was my point, it may very well be out of our control.
regards
Indiapurple
Hi indiapurple,

Technically you wont be making the sale , but moraly you will. As you will be receiving the consideration you are very much involved.

Indias lack of ethics is clearly rubbing off on you.

regards
douglas
Old Aug 6th 2007, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hi indiapurple,

Technically you wont be making the sale , but moraly you will. As you will be receiving the consideration you are very much involved.

Indias lack of ethics is clearly rubbing off on you.

regards
douglas
Hi Douglas

You are completely missing my point.
Take Dickylewis's case...if Churchills won't give him his deposit back until the apartment he has reserved is sold. Are you saying that he should specify that he doesnt want his money back unless they sell it to an PIO or IR??
It may be as much out of our control as it is with him.
And for the records...with regard to my ethics, they are perfectly ethical
regards
Indiapurple
Old Aug 6th 2007, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Douglas

You are completely missing my point.
Take Dickylewis's case...if Churchills won't give him his deposit back until the apartment he has reserved is sold. Are you saying that he should specify that he doesnt want his money back unless they sell it to an PIO or IR??
It may be as much out of our control as it is with him.
And for the records...with regard to my ethics, they are perfectly ethical
regards
Indiapurple
Hi indiapurple,

Dicky lewis as i understand it has a contract between himself and a british co, an entirely different matter. He has no control over what that co does and the money he will be refunded (if it is refunded) has no direct link with any potential purchaser. You have some direct connection with the property concerned and can clearly identify it, in that you occupy it.

Churchills are bullshitters in this respect.

You will have almost total control over who is the next owner of the property concerned. If you are prepared to sell your soul for money that is your decision, but please dont go into denial over it.

regards
douglas
Old Aug 6th 2007, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hi indiapurple,

Dicky lewis as i understand it has a contract between himself and a british co, an entirely different matter. He has no control over what that co does and the money he will be refunded (if it is refunded) has no direct link with any potential purchaser. You have some direct connection with the property concerned and can clearly identify it, in that you occupy it.

Churchills are bullshitters in this respect.

You will have almost total control over who is the next owner of the property concerned. If you are prepared to sell your soul for money that is your decision, but please dont go into denial over it.

regards
douglas
Hi Douglas
Again you miss my point.
In my OP I stated that we did not want to sell to anyone who didnt qualify and by that we mean FN's. What I tried to get across was that there are still folks who are silly enough to part with their money even though they know the risks.

You say that we will have almost total control over who will be the next owner. This confuses me as you usually say that FN's who have bought on a Tourist visa etc have no rights whatsoever. But in any case how can you know that our developer will give us control and how can we enforce that control if we don't; a) own it or b)only have, what you say is a worthless agreement of sale?

I am not in denial whatsoever, I do not want to 'sell my soul'...I want to do whats right but the whole point of this thread was the fact that we were worried that a buyer could be found for us and thus leave us without choice.

I wish Douglas that you would stop trying to read between the lines and making ridiculous false accusations and judgements.

If my ethics were as you described, I would'nt even have posted in the first place. I fear your constant cynical denigration of posters on this board is a sad reflection of your situation. Because you are suffering, I think you want us all to suffer.

I wanted a objective reply of what could occur, not a character assassintation.
regards
Indiapurple
Old Aug 6th 2007, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Cariad7 will become famous soon enoughCariad7 will become famous soon enough

Hi all

thanks
Indiapurple
Hi India Purple

Regal Builders are genuine caring people, and I know the owner has taken the change of laws to heart and made himself ill.

I heard that he was not selling to FN and was being pestered, but did not know he had given in. I don't understand him saying setting up a Company, I thought this was also a NO NO. that you had to have a trading company and provide books every year.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Cariad7
Hi India Purple

Regal Builders are genuine caring people, and I know the owner has taken the change of laws to heart and made himself ill.

I heard that he was not selling to FN and was being pestered, but did not know he had given in. I don't understand him saying setting up a Company, I thought this was also a NO NO. that you had to have a trading company and provide books every year.

99% of Builders give the rest a bad name.

Remy
Old Aug 6th 2007, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cariad7
Hi India Purple

Hi Cariad

Yes I've heard the same about the owner. I don't know what made him give in on this occasion...but he did on the condition of setting up a company.

It may because the couple involved had approached him somewhile earlier and had a kind of spoken agreement which he felt eventually he had to honour??

I really don't know the full details.
kind regards
Indiapurple
Old Aug 6th 2007, 5:48 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cariad

Yes I've heard the same about the owner. I don't know what made him give in on this occasion...but he did on the condition of setting up a company.

It may because the couple involved had approached him somewhile earlier and had a kind of spoken agreement which he felt eventually he had to honour??

I really don't know the full details.
kind regards
Indiapurple
Hi India purple,

Isn't setting up a company illegal as things stand at the moment, unless you can show you are trading.

Noni
Old Aug 6th 2007, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by noni
Hi India purple,

Isn't setting up a company illegal as things stand at the moment, unless you can show you are trading.

Noni
Hi Noni

I believe it is illegal in these cirmcumstances but before I get jumped on, please note I was just quoting something that was told to me
regards
Indiapurple
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:01 am
Just Joined

flowermoon will become famous soon enough

Hi Douglas
Again you miss my point.
In my OP I stated that we did not want to sell to anyone who didnt qualify and by that we mean FN's. What I tried to get across was that there are still folks who are silly enough to part with their money even though they know the risks.

You say that we will have almost total control over who will be the next owner. This confuses me as you usually say that FN's who have bought on a Tourist visa etc have no rights whatsoever. But in any case how can you know that our developer will give us control and how can we enforce that control if we don't; a) own it or b)only have, what you say is a worthless agreement of sale?

I am not in denial whatsoever, I do not want to 'sell my soul'...I want to do whats right but the whole point of this thread was the fact that we were worried that a buyer could be found for us and thus leave us without choice.

I wish Douglas that you would stop trying to read between the lines and making ridiculous false accusations and judgements.

If my ethics were as you described, I would'nt even have posted in the first place. I fear your constant cynical denigration of posters on this board is a sad reflection of your situation. Because you are suffering, I think you want us all to suffer.

I wanted a objective reply of what could occur, not a character assassintation.
regards
Indiapurple
Well done Indiapurple, after that ill buy your home i dont care about the risks you win some you lose some and its only money anyway, and douglas loves to judge. The goan's are having a go at the russian's and checking that existing laws are not being violated when title deeds of fns are lodged for registration, and trying to ensure that criminal elements are kept at bay.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

river gipsy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by flowermoon
Well done Indiapurple, after that ill buy your home i dont care about the risks you win some you lose some and its only money anyway, and douglas loves to judge. The goan's are having a go at the russian's and checking that existing laws are not being violated when title deeds of fns are lodged for registration, and trying to ensure that criminal elements are kept at bay.
do you want to buy ours { only joking]} we love ours and the place and people
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:22 am
Just Joined

flowermoon will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: Moral Dilemma when 'offloading' your Goan home ?

Hi Douglas

regards
Indiapurple
Hi again Indiapurple, your destiny is under your control, take no notice of douglas's personal comments i think he likes the power he thinks he has on here, just glad he's not sitting on the goan state government board and if FNs are not welcome in Goa, then its best if we dont buy or lease anywhere, because we are not welcomed in most parts of the world, but its never bothered us before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.