how to get in to australia????

Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:37 am
Just Joined

louby-lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how to get in to australia????

Can somebody please help me??

I am looking for a way to get into Australia.
My 3 sisters are all nearing the end of their visa application and i'm getting very worried as I havn't got the points to enable me to apply for a skilled visa.
Does anyone know of any different ways to get there?
I know I will have to work hard at it, or even pay quite abit of money, but I dont mind as long as I get to live where my family are going.
I have tried Go Matilda for advice (who I found to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard -to put it nicely!)
Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.
I've heard that I could go on a student visa and train in an area that is on the modl for 2 years, then work over there for 1 year before applying for a visa. Is this the case and if so approx how much would that cost?
I have a partner and a 1year old child - would we all get over on a student visa??

I'll be waiting anxiously for any replies................................

Many Thanks

Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice
Default Re: how to get in to australia????

Originally Posted by louby-lou

My 3 sisters are all nearing the end of their visa application and i'm getting very worried as I havn't got the points to enable me to apply for a skilled visa.
I know I will have to work hard at it, or even pay quite abit of money, but I dont mind as long as I get to live where my family are going.
I have tried Go Matilda for advice (who I found to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard -to put it nicely!)
I've heard that I could go on a student visa and train in an area that is on the modl for 2 years, then work over there for 1 year before applying for a visa. Is this the case and if so approx how much would that cost?
I have a partner and a 1year old child - would we all get over on a student visa??

Many Thanks

You might want to try the immigration forum on here or you can try the online assessment with https://secure.liveinaustralia.com/default.asp?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:47 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Just to point out that Go Matilda have a good reputation on here and Alan Collett often contributes a lot of useful advice.....for free.

Are you sure they were useless or simply did not give you the answers that you wanted?

The reality is that without the appropriate skills it will not be easy to get a visa....student visa may be one option but not necessarily an easy one.

G
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:59 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you or your partner have a profession that it in demand in Australia? If so then you may be able to get in if a company is willing to sponsor you!

I ahve no idea how this works but a friend of mine was 'sponsored' by a company even thogh they would not have been eligible for a visa through any other method!

Might be worth looking into!

A
Old Jul 13th 2007, 11:02 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

If time is on your side age wise, then I would consider retraining in the UK rather than go via the student visa route which unless you have sufficient funds, you will struggle with the working restrictions.

Have a look at the occupations in demand and see which area that it would be possible to train in.

If say for example that you chose nursing, you would at least get your training paid for whilst receiving a small bursary. Or if you chose hairdressing, you would get a wage as well as your training paid for.

You would have to gain work experience afterwards but with regards to the NHS and a nursing course, then you could see it as giving a little back for the training you have received (if you know what I mean).

It may be far better to study in the UK and at least get some sort of salary and no limitations on working rights than studying in Australia where the financial implications will be far higher.

It will take a couple of years to get a qualification but if you are determined to do it then you will find a way.

It takes patience, determination, a totally one track mind to keep you focused and if you are prepared to retrain, put the work in and have these qualities then you will succeed.

Old Jul 13th 2007, 11:17 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
If time is on your side age wise, then I would consider retraining in the UK rather than go via the student visa route which unless you have sufficient funds, you will struggle with the working restrictions.

Have a look at the occupations in demand and see which area that it would be possible to train in.

If say for example that you chose nursing, you would at least get your training paid for whilst receiving a small bursary. Or if you chose hairdressing, you would get a wage as well as your training paid for.

You would have to gain work experience afterwards but with regards to the NHS and a nursing course, then you could see it as giving a little back for the training you have received (if you know what I mean).

It may be far better to study in the UK and at least get some sort of salary and no limitations on working rights than studying in Australia where the financial implications will be far higher.

It will take a couple of years to get a qualification but if you are determined to do it then you will find a way.

It takes patience, determination, a totally one track mind to keep you focused and if you are prepared to retrain, put the work in and have these qualities then you will succeed.

I know a guy who is going down this route - training in the Uk to be an accountant - he's been studying and working at it for around 2 years now - plans to try to get to Aust to live eventually.....

....although if it was up to me I'd not let in any more accountants.....
Old Jul 13th 2007, 11:36 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Many Thanks

Lookat thinkingaustralia.com - if they cant get you in no-one can

Dave
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks

Retraining is the only option assuming you are not single and will be the only family member not in Australia.

You do not necessarily have to train in a MODL occupation as you will have relatives there to sponsor you after a minimum of 2 years study in Australia. Doing one of the trade courses has the added burdon of needing 900 work hours in addition to completing the course. You could, for example, possibly just do a 2 year Administrative Diploma that only scores you 40 points plu 5 for having an Australian qualification. Sponsorship from one of your sisters would then give you a pass-mark of 100. A good IELTS test (not easy) would score 25 for English and being under 30 would get you the required 100. If you were only 05 or 10 points short, you could apply for the 18 month temp graduate visa and, after working 12 months in a skilled occupation (again not so easy), you would score an extra 10 points. If one or more of your sisters lives in a regioanl area of Australia, then the Designated are sponsorship would be an option after 2 years of study.

So there are many possible pathways to permanent residency through the Australian Study option, not just the MODL trade study that everyone talks about.

Getting a qualification in UK is an option but you will need 12 months of skilled work experience as well as the minimum Diploma equivalent qualification - again, Diploma only scores 40 points so you would need to be under 30 or have a sister living in a regional area of Australia for at least 12 months.

All the family can go to Australia on the student visa but other half can only work 20 hours per week and children will have to pay Education fees.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

jen 71 is just really nicejen 71 is just really nicejen 71 is just really nicejen 71 is just really nicejen 71 is just really nicejen 71 is just really nicejen 71 is just really nicejen 71 is just really nice

hello im very interesting in this thread we to a looking into ways of getting into australia im currnetly trainning as a hairdresser and will be qualified next june (although im told at least 6 years work experience hubby is hgv driver but also qualified as a brickie june 06 but to need 6 years exp which takes him over the age of 45 me on the other hand can get the experience and still be in the time line,we are off on hols to brissie in aug going to do a recky as my o.h is emplyed as a hgv driver for many years(not on the skilled list)more chance in winning the lottery,all im saying is i enjoy doing the hairdressing trainning and it is at least easier than nursing not so technical and there isnt a limit on hours if you train in the uk,i am desperate to come to oz and trying different ways (like banging your head against a brick wall)as i do have my brother and sis there ,i keep being told that 6 years not long but it seem that way but is u want somethink so bad you will try enything
well good luck in what you do as always keep us posted,

Last edited by jen 71; Jul 13th 2007 at 2:00 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jen 71
hello im very interesting in this thread we to a looking into ways of getting into australia im currnetly trainning as a hairdresser and will be qualified next june (although im told at least 6 years work experience hubby is hgv driver but also qualified as a brickie june 06 but to need 6 years exp which takes him over the age of 45 me on the other hand can get the experience and still be in the time line,we are off on hols to brissie in aug going to do a recky as my o.h is emplyed as a hgv driver for many years(not on the skilled list)more chance in winning the lottery,all im saying is i enjoy doing the hairdressing trainning and it is at least easier than nursing not so technical and there isnt a limit on hours if you train in the uk,i am desperate to come to oz and trying different ways (like banging your head against a brick wall)as i do have my brother and sis there ,i keep being told that 6 years not long but it seem that way but is u want somethink so bad you will try enything
well good luck in what you do as always keep us posted,
The required 6 years includes full-time training or pro rata of part-time training. studying in Australia cuts the training down to 2 years but you must also gain the 900 hours experience - If your brother or sister lives in a regional area, you may have been better to do a Diploma and then 1 year of skilled experience.

another way of combining the UK/Australia study would be to go to Australia to do just the AQF Cert III course in 12 months or less, then return to UK to get the required 900 hours and/or 12 months experience.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Actually, she wouldnt have to give anything back at all as a 457 visa requires no experience and many do this. I also think that it is not morally right to do a nursing course simply to get into another country. Nurses are trained at great expense to the tax-payer and places at university are limited. Should someone who intends to leave immediatly get a place in front of someone who wishes to actually be a nurse and remain in the UK?

Someone who doesn't really want to be a nurse would struggle during the training, thats for sure.

Last edited by adiestubbs; Jul 13th 2007 at 2:24 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

i actully agree with the above quote it cost somewhere around £30,000 to train a nurse and competion is fierce for places.

someone who never plans to work in the nhs should not be given a place
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:47 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adiestubbs
Actually, she wouldnt have to give anything back at all as a 457 visa requires no experience and many do this. I also think that it is not morally right to do a nursing course simply to get into another country. Nurses are trained at great expense to the tax-payer and places at university are limited. Should someone who intends to leave immediatly get a place in front of someone who wishes to actually be a nurse and remain in the UK?

Someone who doesn't really want to be a nurse would struggle during the training, thats for sure.
Yes they would struggle.

I loved working in challenging behaviour and decided that my area of nursing would be LD.

At the interview when they asked me my plans (the where will you be once you qualify type of question), I told them I wanted to work abroad, they asked which country and I openly said Australia.

I was also honest enough to say I intended to work in the NHS for two years after qualifying - which I did want to do to gain valuable experience and to put something back.

Then my Mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer and given 6 weeks to live. After being told that I couldn't have compassionate leave, I was asked if I wanted to defer for a year.

Also they said that I could have compassionate leave in my 3rd year, to which I almost laughed at, as Mum only had 6 weeks.

I didn't want weeks, I just needed a week or even a week spread out.

I had no option other than to quit and the bursary that they took so long to organise for me was quite rightly stopped - fair enough.

Two days after I left Uni, I had a very curt letter demanding the overpayment back ASAP.

At the interviews at our uni, one of the things they said to attract applicants and even put in the brochure, was the opportunities to live and work abroad once qualified.

I was completely honest in my reasons and my plans - they accepted me on that basis.

But I found the lack of support during a very difficult time, quite disheartening for a Uni that is meant to train in the caring profession and what is more, I am glad I found that out when I did.

If they don't want qualified nurses to work abroad then they need to make that very clear in their literature and more importantly - at the interview.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

pp

i am sorry that it did not work out for you

and my comments where not directed at you either as you were wulling to give 2yrs back

my gripe is someone who trains and then leaves nhs to go private or abroad
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
pp

i am sorry that it did not work out for you

and my comments where not directed at you either as you were wulling to give 2yrs back

my gripe is someone who trains and then leaves nhs to go private or abroad
No worries.

But students are not treated well at all. I witnessed our tutors referring to the younger students as 'stupid/thick' which horrified me.

I was surprised that any of them lasted - I do believe half of our group have dropped out.

It seriously shocked me to the bone how sarcastic some of the tutors were and more importantly, the standards that they passed on.

I am well out of it to be honest, although I would perhaps like to do some volunteering in the area of LD when we get to Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.