Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking about NZ-Oz

Thinking about NZ-Oz

Old Jul 1st 2007, 5:31 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about NZ-Oz

Originally Posted by JAJ
Did your husband have a New Zealand born mother or father, and was he born before or after 1 January 1978?

You would have to wait, but your children (if aged under 16) do not have to wait because they are settled in New Zealand with a NZ citizen parent. As far as I know, only one NZ citizen parent is required, not both.
No, they do, my husband's citizenship was granted by descent as was his mother's. This means he is the last generation to be able to get citizenship in this way. We had to apply for NZ PR.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Needless to say, if you leave NZ without getting New Zealand citizenship for them, then the opportunity will be closed.
I thought if we got the IRRV then they (and we) could return and live here at any point in the future?

Originally Posted by JAJ
It shouldn't be that difficult if your husband is a nurse. How old is he?.....Skilled visa for Australia is the way to go. Forget the 461 visa, just apply for migration like anyone else assuming you qualify.
Oh, he's easy young enough

I had some friends who moved to Oz from the UK and the process took them over 18months and cost a small fortune. This worries me
Old Jul 1st 2007, 3:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
No, they do, my husband's citizenship was granted by descent as was his mother's. This means he is the last generation to be able to get citizenship in this way. We had to apply for NZ PR.
Once again - they don't.

Remember you would not be applying for them to have NZ citizenship by descent, but NZ citizenship by naturalisation (or grant, or conferral, or whatever they call it now).

And once again. If children under 16 are living in New Zealand as permanent residents, with a NZ citizen parent, they do not have to wait 5 years.

If you don't believe me, read the rules on the Citizenship Office website. (the operations manual for grant of NZ citizenship is available online).

I thought if we got the IRRV then they (and we) could return and live here at any point in the future?
In theory yes - but what if a future government changes the rules. You wouldn't be NZ citizens, so the government can do what it likes.

If you take my advice above, and get your children naturalised as New Zealanders, they will also be able to pass on their NZ citizenship a generation further.

I had some friends who moved to Oz from the UK and the process took them over 18months and cost a small fortune. This worries me
Moving is expensive. But visa fees are only a small part of that. Around 12 months is normal for nurses to be granted a migration visa to Australia, including time for skill assessment first.

But you may want to sort out your kids New Zealand citizenship before applying to migrate to Australia. Get some professional advice on the Australian migration side to make sure you are not heading for any deadlines.

Last edited by JAJ; Jul 1st 2007 at 3:10 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:03 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Once again - they don't.

Remember you would not be applying for them to have NZ citizenship by descent, but NZ citizenship by naturalisation (or grant, or conferral, or whatever they call it now).

And once again. If children under 16 are living in New Zealand as permanent residents, with a NZ citizen parent, they do not have to wait 5 years.

If you don't believe me, read the rules on the Citizenship Office website. (the operations manual for grant of NZ citizenship is available online).
I'm sorry, I did follow the link you gave earlier to the citizenship office website but hadn't read the operations manual. From the website it really doesn't look as though they'd be eligible but the operations manual is a little more ambiguous so I shall contact them anon. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks for the heads up on this

Originally Posted by JAJ
In theory yes - but what if a future government changes the rules. You wouldn't be NZ citizens, so the government can do what it likes. If you take my advice above, and get your children naturalised as New Zealanders, they will also be able to pass on their NZ citizenship a generation further.
Hmm, good points, thanks.

I spent some time last night looking through the Australian immigration website and it looks like if we decide to move we would be best just resigning ourselves to the cost and length of time involved and going straight for PR, given that we qualify on points basis.

Thanks for all your advice, I'll let you know how I get on with the citizenship office
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:36 pm
---

Default From the horses mouth

Thankyou so much for being so insistent, JAJ.

Just got off the phone with the citizenship office who are sending the forms to us and agree that our children, because they are under 16, can be granted NZ citizenship

Delighted, absolutely delighted.

Thankyou so much....my 9 year old is thrilled
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From the horses mouth

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Thankyou so much for being so insistent, JAJ.

Just got off the phone with the citizenship office who are sending the forms to us and agree that our children, because they are under 16, can be granted NZ citizenship

Delighted, absolutely delighted.

Thankyou so much....my 9 year old is thrilled
Excellent news. Let us all know how you get on in due course.

Bear in mind that you should only make a decision to move to Australia after your children have been granted NZ citizenship, not before. The Citizenship Office will probably expect that the children plan to remain in NZ, but you can change your minds thereafter.

Nothing stopping you downloading the forms, understanding the requirements, and obtaining all the documentation in the meantime, of course.

If you go to Australia as migrants (as opposed to as NZ citizens) you will be eligible for Australian citizenship after 4 years. Under current law there is no problem holding all three citizenships : British/Australian/NZ.

Last edited by JAJ; Jul 2nd 2007 at 2:36 am.