Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Queensland

Moving to Queensland

Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

dipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant future
Default Moving to Queensland

Hi all...well its been ages since I last posted on here, everything went hectic for a while! It's like this anyway, we have been in Adelaide for just over a year now and have decided to move to Queensland, our reasons...don't ask or I'll just go on for hours (Adelaide is lovely though!) We are moving with 3 boys (18, 15 & 7) hubby and 2 dogs, so will be looking at rental initially...now here's the big question, Queensland is so mahoosive we don't know anything about areas. We need somewhere not too expensive, and close enough to Brisbane (maybe) so hubby can drive to where work is (chippy). Schools DEFINATELY need to be local and good as we are leaving the fantastic schools our boys are in at the moment, would hate for them to be unhappy in new ones after all this upheaval. If you can give any genuine advise on areas we would really appreciate it, we have heard that Beenleigh is nice??? Any thoughts. Thanks all and take it easy...more questions to follow
dips
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:49 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Queensland

Originally Posted by dipdip
Hi all...well its been ages since I last posted on here, everything went hectic for a while! It's like this anyway, we have been in Adelaide for just over a year now and have decided to move to Queensland, our reasons...don't ask or I'll just go on for hours (Adelaide is lovely though!) We are moving with 3 boys (18, 15 & 7) hubby and 2 dogs, so will be looking at rental initially...now here's the big question, Queensland is so mahoosive we don't know anything about areas. We need somewhere not too expensive, and close enough to Brisbane (maybe) so hubby can drive to where work is (chippy). Schools DEFINATELY need to be local and good as we are leaving the fantastic schools our boys are in at the moment, would hate for them to be unhappy in new ones after all this upheaval. If you can give any genuine advise on areas we would really appreciate it, we have heard that Beenleigh is nice??? Any thoughts. Thanks all and take it easy...more questions to follow
dips
Outskirts of Beenleigh maybe (from what I've seen of Beenleigh, it may well have nice bits near the centre).

If you have a bit of dosh, like a rural outlook and are looking in that area then a look at Wolffdene/Bahrs Scrub/Windaroo is probably worth your while.

No idea about schools though. And of course, you will need transport to the public transport compared the 'central' Beenleigh.

Realistically it's an hour a day into the CBD if you leave at 7.

Unless it rains a teeeensy bit (cue 6 page newspaper specials) or someone decides to crash on the M1 ... then it's a couple of hours ...

We are a bit further North on the Logan/Beaudesert border by the way.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

dipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant future

Hey Vim, thanks for taking the time to answer my post. A good friend told us that Beenleight is 'Lovely' (her words), but thanks for your opinion, however, anywhere has to be better than where we were in the uk, so we have so far been happy with our lot!

We haven't a lot of dosh, but as long as we can get the boys sorted pretty quick and get jobs we will be happy. Thanks again.
dips

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Outskirts of Beenleigh maybe (from what I've seen of Beenleigh, it may well have nice bits near the centre).

If you have a bit of dosh, like a rural outlook and are looking in that area then a look at Wolffdene/Bahrs Scrub/Windaroo is probably worth your while.

No idea about schools though. And of course, you will need transport to the public transport compared the 'central' Beenleigh.

Realistically it's an hour a day into the CBD if you leave at 7.

Unless it rains a teeeensy bit (cue 6 page newspaper specials) or someone decides to crash on the M1 ... then it's a couple of hours ...

We are a bit further North on the Logan/Beaudesert border by the way.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:52 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

We and the wife are also looking to move to QLD next year. Around the surrounding ares of surfers is where we are looking. Not Brisbane as we want to be near to the sea. Really looking forward to the move. Love Sydney but just too bloody expensive to buy a house.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:54 am
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Vim, thanks for taking the time to answer my post. A good friend told us that Beenleight is 'Lovely' (her words), but thanks for your opinion, however, anywhere has to be better than where we were in the uk, so we have so far been happy with our lot!

We haven't a lot of dosh, but as long as we can get the boys sorted pretty quick and get jobs we will be happy. Thanks again.
dips
Beenleigh is not too lovely at all in my opinion, however its my opinon and not everyones !

As for working as a chippy, got to say the Gold Coast has to be your bet.

They are building so many houses here its untrue, and of course most of them are timber frames.

Beenleigh is not really the Gold Coast, so I would look further South, say from Helensvale to Burleigh..

But what do I know ?

Nick
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

trejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nice

Don't touch Beenleigh with a stick. You'll regret it if you do. There are masses of houses being built all over Brisbane so there are plenty of options. We have lived on the south side of Bris for the last 17 years. We live in Parkinson which is about 25k's south of the city. The main route from east to west is the logan motorway which basically connects the South East Freeway to the Ipswich Highway. Along this corridoor there is more building going on than the rest of Brisbane and the housing is considerably cheaper. Loads of suburbs and some top schools. My tip would be to look at Coopers Plains, Acacia Ridge, Algester, Calamvale,Sunnybank,Parkinson,Drewvale, Browns Plains. All areas are good for Public Transport (about 40 mins bus ride to city). Tip for schooling would be MacGregor High at Sunnybank. Gold coast is about 40 mins drive along the logan motorway and South East Fwy, or about an hours drive via Mt Tamborine and the Gold Coast hinterland. This is much more pleasant drive than stuck on the South East Fwy Car Park.

Hope this helps.

Trejon
Old Jun 7th 2007, 10:46 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

dips
No worries, I came from Chatham in Kent so Beenleigh looks like a utopia in comparison

One man's dodgy area is another's bargain-hunter's paradise so good luck with the search.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

We have just moved up to Hervey Bay from Adelaide. Been here a month now and already bought a house. Like Dipdip we really enjoyed Adeliade but decided it really wasnt for us. Really pleased with where we are now, much more of the Australia we wanted.

Angela
Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:59 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Beenleigh is not too far from us.
Must admit wouldn't want to live there but our daughter goes to school there (Trinity College) and we are likely to send our son there. The school does exceptionally well in the league tables and places are sought after.
It is half-way between GC and CBD so handy for working.

Andrew
Old Jun 10th 2007, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

LouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really nice

Now i know you said not to ask - but- why (unless it's personal) is Adelaide not for you? I like the sound of Adelaide but also like the sound of QLD. I know this sounds daft because everywhere is so vast and we are all different but how did you decide where to choose?! We havent enough £ to explore the regions before we go (if visas given) and it's so difficult! Good luck with the move, we have friends near surfers and they love it.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 8:24 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouB
Now i know you said not to ask - but- why (unless it's personal) is Adelaide not for you? I like the sound of Adelaide but also like the sound of QLD. I know this sounds daft because everywhere is so vast and we are all different but how did you decide where to choose?! We havent enough £ to explore the regions before we go (if visas given) and it's so difficult! Good luck with the move, we have friends near surfers and they love it.

Think its probably down to personal choice.
We initially thought about Adelaide ourselves but on visiting both Adelaide and the Gold Coast the latter just seemed the place for us nothing wrong with Adelaide though Good Luck whatever you decide. C x
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

There was nothing wrong with Adelaide. Just not a whole lot of difference from the UK we found.

Queensland is more tropical and laid back. The pace of life is much slower here than Adeliade. Plus there is no fluctuation in weather here as apposed to Adeliades, 21 degrees one day and 41 the next!!!!

Adelaide is geared up to the people who live there, where as Queensland is more commercial and touristy.

Angela

Last edited by Cookster; Jun 11th 2007 at 10:13 pm. Reason: add bits
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:00 am
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

HI there

We have just moved from Adl to Brisbane. So far...so good

We found Adelaide too quiet for us.. lifestyle and career wise.

Brissie.. we feel is abit in between.. not as busy in Melbourne.. but lots more going on than in Adl, not to mention the weather

Not been here long enough to recommend a place to live.. everyones different. We are 15 mins north of the CBD and luv it.. easy acces via train to city. The only thing id say is that with tennagers, I would want to be near Brisbane or Surfers.

Good luck

K
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

I just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who took the time to give me some advice, I really appreciated it...although I am thinking we just need to GO and find our feet when we get there?? It can't be worse than moving to Adelaide from uk can it?
The reasons we are moving are these for any of you who are interested. My hubby is unsettled in work, and hasn't really found it easy to get jobs...carpenters are highly sought (?) after but he hasn't got a licence and work seems scarce. Just our opinions. Its taken me over a year to get my first job as none of my experience in uk was recognised...I'v not been out of work for this long before. Iv just passed as a massage therapist and am currently trying my own business, but it's real hard and customers aren't easy to get! I HATE cold weather and it's cold here at the moment (pomms...we hate the cold) One more thing, although Adelaide is quite nice it just feels like there's something missing...it doesn't feel like the real Australia we wanted, (we're not hard to please sort of people or fussy, just a bit bored) Not sure that theres much of a future here for our sons either.
I gotta rush, off to work soon, just thought I'd send you my opinion and thank you all once again for your help.

Take care all of you
dip
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:12 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Love Sydney but just too bloody expensive to buy a house.
I guess you'll be renting here too then?

As far as I am aware the GC is not cheap and prices are moving forever upwards at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.