Child Born in UK To Australian Citizen?

Old May 17th 2007, 6:11 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Child Born in UK To Australian Citizen?

Hi,

What will be the status of the child born in UK to an Australian parent?Does the child will gain British Citizenship.The parent is one of my friend and he is there on work permit six months or less.

Please suggest and comment

Thanks,
Old May 17th 2007, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice
Default Re: Child Born in UK To Australian Citizen?

as far as I know if you are born in the UK you are a British Citizen, but if you have an Aussie parent you can also get Aussie citizenship.
Old May 17th 2007, 7:35 pm
STRIKE HARD STRIKE SURE

Whitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

What will be the status of the child born in UK to an Australian parent?Does the child will gain British Citizenship.The parent is one of my friend and he is there on work permit six months or less.

Please suggest and comment

Thanks,

Best of both worlds
Old May 17th 2007, 8:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RachelH
as far as I know if you are born in the UK you are a British Citizen,
Not true, sorry. Since 1 January 1983, at least one parent must be a British citizen or permanent resident.

but if you have an Aussie parent you can also get Aussie citizenship.
Also not always true - if Australian parent is a citizen by descent, then that parent must have accumulated 2 years presence in Australia.
Old May 17th 2007, 10:15 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

JAJ is correct - need one parent to be a British citizen or permanent resident. Right of abode suffices. You can get more info here. Once the child is born fill in the form 118 and lodge at the Australian High Commission in London - takes about 5 days to process and you get a certificate of citizenship. You can then use this to get the Australian passport.
Old May 18th 2007, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not true, sorry. Since 1 January 1983, at least one parent must be a British citizen or permanent resident.

Also not always true - if Australian parent is a citizen by descent, then that parent must have accumulated 2 years presence in Australia.
My 3 children are Australian by descent - having been born to Oz citizens resident in the UK. Now that we reside in Australia when/if/how can they claim "pure" Citizenship?

TIA
Old May 18th 2007, 4:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
My 3 children are Australian by descent - having been born to Oz citizens resident in the UK. Now that we reside in Australia when/if/how can they claim "pure" Citizenship?
Once they have completed a total of 2 years physical presence, they then have the same rights to pass on their citizenship to an overseas born child as an Australian born or naturalised person.

There is no form to fill out and DIAC's movement records should make the compliance with the 2 year rule clear. However, don't rely on government records, so they should be sure to keep their own records of their time in Australia. Schooling records, old passports (you can ask for Australian passports to be stamped in and out) and so on.
Old May 18th 2007, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
Once they have completed a total of 2 years physical presence, they then have the same rights to pass on their citizenship to an overseas born child as an Australian born or naturalised person.

There is no form to fill out and DIAC's movement records should make the compliance with the 2 year rule clear. However, don't rely on government records, so they should be sure to keep their own records of their time in Australia. Schooling records, old passports (you can ask for Australian passports to be stamped in and out) and so on.
Thanks for that. Just wanted to clarify position because we had been told that had we remained in the UK and they (by chance) married another Australian citizen by descent any children they subsequently went on to have would not be enitled to any form of Australian citizenship. Of course this is true as the law stands today and in future the position may well alter.
Old May 18th 2007, 5:03 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Thanks for that. Just wanted to clarify position because we had been told that had we remained in the UK and they (by chance) married another Australian citizen by descent any children they subsequently went on to have would not be enitled to any form of Australian citizenship.
That would be true if the other Australian parent hadn't clocked up 2 years in Australia. There is an exception to the 2 year rule (for Australian parent) if child has no other nationality.

And of course children born in Australia would be Australians.

Where an Australian citizen by descent has an overseas born child who is not entitled to Australian citizenship, the child can be brought to live in Australia and naturalised once settled in Australia. Residence requirement does not apply to children under 16.
Old May 18th 2007, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

I'm in a similar position, as my English wife and I are planning to have kids in the UK in the near future. She is a UK citizen by birth, I am a NZ citizen by birth, Australian by naturalisation and UK by naturalisation.

Any kids we have in the UK will I understand be automatically UK citizens, and will be entitled to Australian citizenship once I fill in the appropriate registration at Australia House.

Presumably they will also be entitled to NZ citizenship by a similar registration at NZ House.

Also, my wife's mother is Irish by birth, so they may have some entitlement to Irish citizenship - I need to check on that, as my wife herself has not lived in Ireland or claimed Irish citizenship.

With all this talk of citizenship, I'm finding out the difficulty of have multiple passports - I have to keep them all current! I'm going to Oz for a holiday later this year, and can only enter the country on an Australian passport as I am a citizen - they won't put a visa in my UK one doubly annoying as I've laready had one application rejected as Oz likes different size photos to the UK passport office, and trying to get them right is a pain.
Old May 18th 2007, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ

Apologies - as I said "as far as I know" - obviously thats not far!
Old May 18th 2007, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ

2 years physical presence, does this include therefore, say a 3 week holiday?
Old May 18th 2007, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Lilywhite is an unknown quantity at this point

I've recently been sorting out new passports for my lot who are all dual citizens (Brit/Aus) and was asked for my passport when I originally entered UK. This was 18 years ago. OH has also had to find his 25 year old Aus passport.

So make sure you keep your old passports safe.
Old May 18th 2007, 11:49 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by sparkley23
2 years physical presence, does this include therefore, say a 3 week holiday?
Yes it does.
Old May 18th 2007, 11:50 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Lilywhite
I've recently been sorting out new passports for my lot who are all dual citizens (Brit/Aus) and was asked for my passport when I originally entered UK. This was 18 years ago. OH has also had to find his 25 year old Aus passport.

So make sure you keep your old passports safe.
Never a smart idea to throw out old documentation, however in this situation if they really had been lost, the Passport Office could not have refused you a passport. But they might have made a fuss, and you might have had to get your MP to intervene etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.