Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping belongings to Oz

shipping belongings to Oz

Old Apr 20th 2007, 6:45 am
Just Joined

aussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to all
Smile shipping belongings to Oz

Hi everyone,

I am new at this so forgive me if I have put this in the wrong place.

We are Aussies living in Manchester at the moment, when we came over here from Perth we shipped some of our 'stuff' over here. we didnt bring any big furniture (fridge, freezers, lounge suites etc) we sold most of it before we left and replaced it once we got here but we did bring 60 packing boxes of our belongings with us.
Now we are planning to go back home again next year and I have been looking around at shipping companies getting prices for our return (once again we wont be lugging any big furniture with us, just packing boxes).

So here's the point of this post , I have found that shipping companies from the UK are VERY expensive. The cheapest quote that we've had to ship over the things we want is £3000. So I came up with a brianwave (HA!) and rang my Mum in Perth and asked her to ring some shipping companies over there to see if she could organise from her end for shipping from Manchester. After a few days of hard research she called me back and guess what... She can get the exact same stuff shipped over (that I've been quoted between £3000 - £6000 pounds for) by organising it from her end (Perth!) and it will only cost us around £700 - £1000. That is over a £2000 (up to £5000) saving just by organising it from the other side.

So what I would like to Suggest to everyone is that if you are going to be shipping stuff over to Oz and you have family or friends over there, ask them first to see if they can organise the shipping from their end, it will save you a hell of a lot of money (which will be better in your pocket when you get to Oz)

Hope this might help some of you save some money, as I know how expensive it is to move, so the more you can save, the better, I reckon!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: shipping belongings to Oz

Originally Posted by aussiegirl1970
Hi everyone,

I am new at this so forgive me if I have put this in the wrong place.

We are Aussies living in Manchester at the moment, when we came over here from Perth we shipped some of our 'stuff' over here. we didnt bring any big furniture (fridge, freezers, lounge suites etc) we sold most of it before we left and replaced it once we got here but we did bring 60 packing boxes of our belongings with us.
Now we are planning to go back home again next year and I have been looking around at shipping companies getting prices for our return (once again we wont be lugging any big furniture with us, just packing boxes).

So here's the point of this post , I have found that shipping companies from the UK are VERY expensive. The cheapest quote that we've had to ship over the things we want is £3000. So I came up with a brianwave (HA!) and rang my Mum in Perth and asked her to ring some shipping companies over there to see if she could organise from her end for shipping from Manchester. After a few days of hard research she called me back and guess what... She can get the exact same stuff shipped over (that I've been quoted between £3000 - £6000 pounds for) by organising it from her end (Perth!) and it will only cost us around £700 - £1000. That is over a £2000 (up to £5000) saving just by organising it from the other side.

So what I would like to Suggest to everyone is that if you are going to be shipping stuff over to Oz and you have family or friends over there, ask them first to see if they can organise the shipping from their end, it will save you a hell of a lot of money (which will be better in your pocket when you get to Oz)

Hope this might help some of you save some money, as I know how expensive it is to move, so the more you can save, the better, I reckon!
Are you getting like for like? For example the £3000 price should include them packing everything (carefully) bringing the container to your door, loading it, sealing it, holding it for a while sorting the billing documentation etc.. seems like a HUGE difference if it is the same service

Good tip though if it is real (too late for us), maybe someone from a shipping company who monitors this site might care to comment

Cheers

Chris
Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

aussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to allaussiegirl1970 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chrispy
Are you getting like for like? For example the £3000 price should include them packing everything (carefully) bringing the container to your door, loading it, sealing it, holding it for a while sorting the billing documentation etc.. seems like a HUGE difference if it is the same service

Good tip though if it is real (too late for us), maybe someone from a shipping company who monitors this site might care to comment

Cheers

Chris
yep, the quotes my mum got were for exactly the same thing as I'd got quotes for over here but with a big saving!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:57 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

yep, the quotes my mum got were for exactly the same thing as I'd got quotes for over here but with a big saving!
Hi Aussiegirl,

can you give us the names of the companies please that your Mum has contacted?

Gina
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Hi Aussiegirl,

Gina
Hi Gina, I'll email her and ask her to send me the list of companies that she rang. I'm not 100% certain but I'm sure one of the cheap ones was 'Transglobal'.
You could have a look at the Yellow pages website www.yellowpages.com.au if you wanted to. Lisa
Old Apr 20th 2007, 3:54 pm
so far so good

want2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to behold

Hi Gina, I'll email her and ask her to send me the list of companies that she rang. I'm not 100% certain but I'm sure one of the cheap ones was 'Transglobal'.
You could have a look at the Yellow pages website www.yellowpages.com.au if you wanted to. Lisa

cheers aussie girl, thats a great idea, trouble is dont know anyone in aus, wondering if its still poss ?
Old Apr 20th 2007, 5:52 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.transglobalshipping.com.au/ is their website
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:53 pm
so far so good

want2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by datamile
thanks, think i'll email them
have a good weekend everyone

x
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:25 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by want2bthere
cheers aussie girl, thats a great idea, trouble is dont know anyone in aus, wondering if its still poss ?
Cause it's possible! You'll just have to 'phone them from the UK.

Gina
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:59 am
Just Joined

The other cheap company was pickfords

QUOTE=GinaUK;4672701]Hi Aussiegirl,

Gina[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura about

Hi Aussiegirl,

We just moved out to Oz in Feb this year, used a company called John Mason's (based in Liverpool but don't let that put anyone off), not the cheapest out there but were negotiable. Although haven't got our stuff here yet thought the service was first class and very proffessional, really took care of our gear and packed it extremely well.

My only reccomendation would be if you are needing to store it for any reason would be better to store it over in Oz, far cheaper than the UK. We stored all our belongings for 4months in the UK before shipment and will need to store it over here until we get ourselves sorted.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Lisa, I will look into them and see how much they would cost for shipping our stuff back to OZ. We don't need any storage as we are Aussies and have all our families in Perth (plenty of shed space between all of them lol), and hopefully we will have a house ready to go to not long after arriving. Only planning to stay with the rellies for a week at the most.

Originally Posted by Lisa and Lance
Hi Aussiegirl,

We just moved out to Oz in Feb this year, used a company called John Mason's (based in Liverpool but don't let that put anyone off), not the cheapest out there but were negotiable. Although haven't got our stuff here yet thought the service was first class and very proffessional, really took care of our gear and packed it extremely well.

My only reccomendation would be if you are needing to store it for any reason would be better to store it over in Oz, far cheaper than the UK. We stored all our belongings for 4months in the UK before shipment and will need to store it over here until we get ourselves sorted.