Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

land - we've seen some, what do we need to check for now?

land - we've seen some, what do we need to check for now?

Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:19 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default land - we've seen some, what do we need to check for now?

okay, seen some land that we are interested in. what do we need to do now?

do we need to do a soil test etc? i am a bit bamboozled by this buying land and building thing. some say that it can work out quite expensive as there are lots of hidden extras on top. seems like a minefield to me
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:46 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: land - we've seen some, what do we need to check for now?

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty

do we need to do a soil test etc? i am a bit bamboozled by this buying land and building thing. some say that it can work out quite expensive as there are lots of hidden extras on top. seems like a minefield to me
If you really want it why not make an offer subject to soil test.

It will cost you around $200

Good luck mate
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:52 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
If you really want it why not make an offer subject to soil test.

It will cost you around $200

Good luck mate
thanks fraser. do we need to check with the real estate if there is electricity/sewage etc to the land? i know i sound very thick with regard to this, but it is the complete unknown for us?!!! i think we will be throwing an offer at them, hopefully.

ps. what would the soil test do?
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:55 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

thanks fraser. do we need to check with the real estate if there is electricity/sewage etc to the land? i know i sound very thick with regard to this, but it is the complete unknown for us?!!! i think we will be throwing an offer at them, hopefully.

ps. what would the soil test do?
The agents have to give you a section 32 which discloses everything about the land, just ask them for it.

The soil test will detrmine how much the site costs will be, we didn't get one and our costs were $18000
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:01 pm
Never going back

The agents have to give you a section 32 which discloses everything about the land, just ask them for it.

The soil test will detrmine how much the site costs will be, we didn't get one and our costs were $18000
thanks again. would you have had a soil test done now, in retrospect?
can we get a section 32 without putting an offer in?
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:03 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to the agents and get all the info re the land....see if it has any covenants on it, and as Fraser said put in an offer but subject to soil test or subject to finance which give you a chance to pull out should the need arise. If there are houses already getting built in the area you could nab one of the builders and ask if they have any views on the land....or nab one of the neighbours and ask if they had the house built did they have any hassles re soil and what class of foundation they laid.....will give you an idea of the lay of the land but you still need an independant soil test for your plot.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:05 pm
Never going back

Originally Posted by biggy
Go to the agents and get all the info re the land....see if it has any covenants on it, and as Fraser said put in an offer but subject to soil test or subject to finance which give you a chance to pull out should the need arise. If there are houses already getting built in the area you could nab one of the builders and ask if they have any views on the land....or nab one of the neighbours and ask if they had the house built did they have any hassles re soil and what class of foundation they laid.....will give you an idea of the lay of the land but you still need an independant soil test for your plot.
thanks biggy. it is on the edge of an estate, but not actually on it. i might ask the neighbours at the side of the plot.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:06 pm

thanks again. would you have had a soil test done now, in retrospect?
can we get a section 32 without putting an offer in?
Yes you can as it has all the covenants on( meaning what you are aloud to put on the land)

As for the soil test we were told our site costs would be no more than $5000 and they found rock and also because of some trees near buy we had to have extra foundations.

Our estate agent told us we weren't allowed to make an offer subject to test, he lied.

If we had we probably wouldn't have bought it when we could have bought elsewhere and save $13000.

So yes I'd definitely do it.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:12 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

i was going to buy up in the hills,the price of just sanding the site and putting in drainage was between30/50k.....to be honest to break out all that rock and clear trees,i thought that was quite fare....

ast
Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:45 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by aston man
i was going to buy up in the hills,the price of just sanding the site and putting in drainage was between30/50k.....to be honest to break out all that rock and clear trees,i thought that was quite fare....

ast
mmm, to be honest, the plot is level and mostly tree free. also, where we live is port stephens, a penninsula in NSW. it seems to be made of sand, the whole area, so not many rocks at all!!!! we have been into the estate agents today, but it was manned by a young girl, who looked at me as though i had 2 heads. they are going to check with the owner tomorrow, as to what facilities the land will have. it seems to be fumbling in the dark time for us, as we dont know what needs to be available. and if it isnt, the costs involved to get them available?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 6:23 am

mmm, to be honest, the plot is level and mostly tree free. also, where we live is port stephens, a penninsula in NSW. it seems to be made of sand, the whole area, so not many rocks at all!!!! we have been into the estate agents today, but it was manned by a young girl, who looked at me as though i had 2 heads. they are going to check with the owner tomorrow, as to what facilities the land will have. it seems to be fumbling in the dark time for us, as we dont know what needs to be available. and if it isnt, the costs involved to get them available?
You are entitled to get the section 32s from the agent they are obliged by law.

That will have everything you need to know in it. I f you are unsure get a conveyencer to look over it.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 7:16 am
Never going back

You are entitled to get the section 32s from the agent they are obliged by law.

That will have everything you need to know in it. I f you are unsure get a conveyencer to look over it.
we will also need to find out what the other plot is being used for. it isnt on a housing estate, more a field split into 2. the other half (the one we preferred) was sold last monday, after we had been enquiring about it on the saturday and sunday (just our luck). so, if possible, we could do with finding out what the plot has been bought for.

seems like a minefield fraser? is it worth it? there just seems to be so much to look at and take into account. it is our dream to buy land and build, but so much to consider?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 7:21 am

we will also need to find out what the other plot is being used for. it isnt on a housing estate, more a field split into 2. the other half (the one we preferred) was sold last monday, after we had been enquiring about it on the saturday and sunday (just our luck). so, if possible, we could do with finding out what the plot has been bought for.

seems like a minefield fraser? is it worth it? there just seems to be so much to look at and take into account. it is our dream to buy land and build, but so much to consider?
If it's your dream go for it. You managed to emigrate here and that is a minefield.

Have you considered a house and land package where they give you fixed site costs and they will then absorb any unforseen costs.

You also seem to get a better deal on the house.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:47 am
Never going back

If it's your dream go for it. You managed to emigrate here and that is a minefield.

Have you considered a house and land package where they give you fixed site costs and they will then absorb any unforseen costs.

You also seem to get a better deal on the house.
not so many round here. its semi-rural, so we would have to move from the area we are in (sister here and brother 20 minutes away). we would have to move more into a towny area, which isnt what we want. some of the land/house packages around here are waaaayyyy past our budget. the land we have seen is half an acre, level plot, driveway from the road, for $199,950. BUT.............. we dont know what services it has at this stage.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:27 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Check that the seller IS the owner.
Check the land register.
See that land tax (if applicable) has been paid.
Check the rates are not in arrears or will be paid.
Check there is no mortgage on the land, or it will be paid off.
Check with gas, electricity, phone, water and sewage that they are available at site, or what the installation/connection costs are.
Have a soil test done.
Check the land zoning and visit the council office to see if there is any reason why you won't be able to build. Check the building envelope permitted.
Check for bush fire zoning and flooding areas.
Visit area several times by day and evening to see what the neighbourhood's really like.
Check whether any road or industrial building is planned.
Make a check on whether the area has a high termite presence.
If there are big trees on the property get an idea of the costs of removal - gums in particular can be lethal (they are known as "widowmakers") - and can cost many thousands to remove.

It sounds a lot of work - and it is. But it's the biggest purchase you are likely to make and one of the easiest to make a balls-up of!

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.