Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dog friendly rental problems?

Dog friendly rental problems?

Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:20 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog friendly rental problems?

I've had a little look before and a bigger look today on various sites for a rental property that will take our 2 dogs. It appears near enough impossible to find somewhere.

Has anyone else found a house to rent or decent standard that would accept 2 medium size dogs? Or are we barking up the wrong tree??!! Ho, ho, ho!!

I'm a rental agent here in the UK and know we wouldn't find landlords willing to rent homes to a tenant with them, is it going to be the same there?

Confused as to what to do? Leave them in kennels here or bring them over and kennel them there until we buy? But then we don't want to be rushed into buying just to get the dogs back?

Negative mother insists we should sell them here in the UK!! Noooooo!!!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dog friendly rental problems?

Hi Loolah. I think you might have a problem to be honest. When we first got here and were looking for a rental the details either said no pets or cats ok. We didn't have any pets but were thinking of getting a cat.

It could take you a while to find a house you want to by (with a big enough dick) so they could be in kennels for ages. Hope I am wrong and there are lots of dog friendly landlords down in BOP. There must be, loads of newbies bring their dogs over. I''m sure they will be along soon
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I've had a little look before and a bigger look today on various sites for a rental property that will take our 2 dogs. It appears near enough impossible to find somewhere.

Has anyone else found a house to rent or decent standard that would accept 2 medium size dogs? Or are we barking up the wrong tree??!! Ho, ho, ho!!

I'm a rental agent here in the UK and know we wouldn't find landlords willing to rent homes to a tenant with them, is it going to be the same there?

Confused as to what to do? Leave them in kennels here or bring them over and kennel them there until we buy? But then we don't want to be rushed into buying just to get the dogs back?

hi Caroline

Have you tried trade me, I have just looked at it and it shows a property that allows pets in papamoa...i havent looked in detail but it was the first one that came up

dawn
Old Jan 9th 2007, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Biddy had a dog & a rental house & i think all they did was offer a larger deposit to the landlord so they dog could live there too, so you could try that, good luck xx
Old Jan 9th 2007, 3:04 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

loolah - we had 2 cats and a dog - and we managed to get a rental - we had to pay a bit over the odds and also said that if they caused any damage we would pay for it ( they ditn't as they are perfect! ha!) It wasn't easy but there are definitely some out there. Trademe was good advice.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Don't think it's quite as bad here as in the UK but.... think your problem is going to be "2 medium size dogs" which may well make a landlord take a backward step, imagining a Monty Pythonesque skit where 2 Irish wolfhounds step off the plane!

Is there someone local who would speak on your behalf - photos of dogs might help. Maybe contact a local real estate agent - ask them to find a property to buy and, in the meantime, somewhere to rent with the dogs - must be an expat in BOP that would be able to find the right agent?

Remind me whereabouts you are going to settle and how many of you, apart from dogs!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

I found it difficult to get a rental with a dog (Tauranga area), finally found a brand new 5 bedroomed beautiful rental on the harbour estuary. Although the rental advertisment stated no pets, I offerd to pay a higher deposit and pointed out that my four children could potentially cause more damage than my dog! I did find it better talking face to face with the rental agent and not over the phone.

Sophie Wellington has a dog in Wellington, I believe cottageinthesky helped them find theirs.

Good luck

Quite frankly the kids are more trouble than the dog!!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
I found it difficult to get a rental with a dog (Tauranga area), finally found a brand new 5 bedroomed beautiful rental on the harbour estuary. Although the rental advertisment stated no pets, I offerd to pay a higher deposit and pointed out that my four children could potentially cause more damage than my dog! I did find it better talking face to face with the rental agent and not over the phone.

Sophie Wellington has a dog in Wellington, I believe cottageinthesky helped them find theirs.

Good luck

Quite frankly the kids are more trouble than the dog!!
Thank you all, tried Trade Me, couldn't find the one mentioned but have emailed 2 to see if they'll negotiate the "No Dogs" policy for a higher bond.

Do certain breeds in NZ get the same reaction that they get here? Our 2 medium size dogs are Dobermans, but we have 4 kids and they are family pets and a totally mis-understood breed!!! I know all dog owners with "suspect" breeds say that!!

I think I'll phone all real estate agents in the area (Tauranga + suburbs) give it the we are looking to buy and part with $x,000 and by the way looking to rent in the interim with 2 dogs + 4 kids. Totally understand what Liz is saying - it's more the 4 kids than the 2 dogs!!!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

orca05 will become famous soon enoughorca05 will become famous soon enough

Hi
We rented a property in Papamoa with a golden lab.It was a really nice big four bedroom place.It can be done but let the rental agents meet you first and try to get a good ref from somewhere.Be prepared to pay a higher bond too.Also you will have to really look after the place to be fair to the owners of the property and you will also probably have to kennel the dogs outside which should be ok as it is fairly mild here compared to UK.Good luck!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by orca05
Hi
We rented a property in Papamoa with a golden lab.It was a really nice big four bedroom place.It can be done but let the rental agents meet you first and try to get a good ref from somewhere.Be prepared to pay a higher bond too.Also you will have to really look after the place to be fair to the owners of the property and you will also probably have to kennel the dogs outside which should be ok as it is fairly mild here compared to UK.Good luck!
Thanks for that Orca, that's good to know. Can I ask, which rental agent did you use?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Hate to pee on your cornflakes Am Loolah, but have you checked out the dog restrictions in Tauranga?

One of them is that you cannot keep two dogs on a property without written permission from the Council. It would be worth your while checking first what sort of property size the Council require to keep two dogs on Once you know what the Council require, then you will know what sort of property you can rent (once you find a dog friendly landlord!).

In Waitakere City (part of Auckland), property size is critical to the number of dogs you can keep. You need a minimum of 600m2 to keep more than 2 dogs here, but with the neighbour's written permission, I am able to keep 3 dogs on 507m2. However, this does mean I have to stay on my neighbours' good side, because a reasonable complaint from them can have it revoked (nuisance barking etc).

Here's a link to the info...
http://council.tauranga.govt.nz/knowledgebase/q0003
and you should read in particular the Information for Dog Owners link which opens a PDF file.

Good luck!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Do certain breeds in NZ get the same reaction that they get here? Our 2 medium size dogs are Dobermans, but we have 4 kids and they are family pets and a totally mis-understood breed!!! I know all dog owners with "suspect" breeds say that!!
I have a male german shepherd aka "my little pony" and my son has a black Staffy bitch - every now and then, I walk them together and sometimes, you would think I had the hounds of hell with me from some people's reaction However, it's not often. More often, with the shepherd, I get asked by dog owners if he's ok with other dogs - seems quite a few dogs have had bad experiences with shepherds unfortunately. Because he's such a cowardly lion he often puts his hackles up when approaching an unfamiliar dog - once I tell them he's doing it from fear, not aggression and point out the wagging tail, everything's ok
Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:43 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

You will find that ( where we live anyway) there are loads of what some people think are dangerous breed dogs - but they all seem to be really friendly to me! There are a lor of staffie crosses around

Loolah - something else to remember - you maybe know this already - but you will need to register your dogs with the council it's not expensive, but just needs to be done. They'll get a lovely tag to wear.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
You will find that ( where we live anyway) there are loads of what some people think are dangerous breed dogs - but they all seem to be really friendly to me! There are a lor of staffie crosses around

Loolah - something else to remember - you maybe know this already - but you will need to register your dogs with the council it's not expensive, but just needs to be done. They'll get a lovely tag to wear.
I knew about the registering them - I had no idea about the blooming square metre rule?! How very intrusive!! I'll check that link, thank you.

I've been in touch with someone on TradeMe who will accept the dogs so fingers crossed. On the down side they want to tie us into a 12 month lease which I've said no to, so it's up to them now.

With the council tag and the micro-chip tag they'll look like a couple of Chavs!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:59 pm
A land far far away

Yeh and the name tag! I still have them too in case of emergency! The dogs jingle!
The mirochipping is pretty new here - and the one we have in the pooch that we took over from the Uk didnt actually get registered here till 5 months ago. You need to reregister them with the Australasian microchip people. Our vet gave us the forms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.