Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lion Log - part 2

Lion Log - part 2

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:17 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lion Log - part 2

Halloween day 31 October 2004 a lion landed in this big old country called Australia.

Not surprisingly it got me brain juices a flowin thinking about what has befallen the family Bix. A little review was in order.

Some called me eccentric…..wonder why ?

For 10 years during the 1990’s we hardly stepped outside of the home town of St.Austell. There were some rare shopping trips to Truro and Trago Mills at Liskeard and one exception when we adventured to see how the English live. A 3 day out of season trip to Butlins Minehead for our only ever family holiday.

The early 2000’s found us visiting Plymouth a couple or three times. What had become of us ? The itchy feet must have started. So, we were to jump from exploring Jannerland to emigrating to Australia. A natural path of course which is documented here in Lion Log part 1

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334318

Sit comfortably and I’ll tell you briefly how and what panned out.

Got a temporary 457 visa as old buggers with no qualifications don’t have a lot of choice

Didn’t think I could rely on my pushbike so learnt to drive 6 months before emigrating.

Did carboot sales and EBay for first time.

Couldn’t sell house so remortgaged to release equity and rented it out.

Da Boss and Da Boys flew for the first time on one of them big things with wings that don’t flap.

Started work 7 days after landing only to find it’s a job I’ve never done before. A long story about being conned. Couldn’t admit that and go back to Blighty so ballshitted and swotted hard at every given hour of the day and night.

They hand me a mobile phone so I ask what I do with it. I had never used one before but soon learnt. I can now make a call.

Youngest son into TAFE. Temp visa means International Student basis so very high cost. Eldest can do nothing as needed to stay dependant and we couldn’t afford UNI for him.

Move rental.

3 month review and the General Manager says he didn’t want to employ me but admits he was wrong cos I am the most successful POM they have brought over so put in for RSMS visa right away.

Move rental.

Get RSMS visa in 31 days.

Go to GC to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary.

Missus gets part time job in British Lolly shop. Eldest follows her.

Rental is sold so have to move again.

Cyclone Larry pays a visit.

Lolly shop is franchised and new owners will run it so no jobs.

Missus gets job in silver jewelry shop and son in Dick Smiths.

Missus and eldest both pass driving test.

Lodger in UK leaves so decide to sell house. Get quick sale but it’s a scam and falls through after nearly 6 months. Cleans us out financially so more debt.

Try to put missus on the streets but can’t afford to pay the punters.

Visitors from UK.

Boss of jewelry shop throws wobblies at staff and customers so missus tells her to stick her job. That’s 12 staff in 8 months…..wonder why ?

Rental is sold so have to move yet again.

Missus insists we buy. Tight timing but get second sale on UK house completed in 6 weeks leaving just over 6 weeks to do the same here. In the throws of that now.

Son has been put forward by his manager for a new job. Casual to assistant manager in less than 6 months is pushing it though.

Found a house to buy. Come on my beaut, time is of the essence. Don’t want to go into other accommodation first.

Have visitors from UK here now and another lot in November. Just what we need right now. Hey-ho, adds to the fun.

So, I think I can safely say we have had an exciting and challenging last couple of years…..in fact 3 years. Never a dull moment with one thing happening after another.

Lot’s of life changing things for our family. We have grown in life, we have grown in self stature.

There aint no problems - only solutions.

I’ve not really said anything about Australia have I ?

Well, if you’ve seen our posts you will know how much we like it……and did I mention Cairns ? We have a lot to discover yet but hope we have helped a few other expats realise this beautiful place is here.

We are now looking forward to settling down in our own bit of Australia and relaxing more than we have for a long time. Yup, I think we are here to stay.

Australia is home.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 3:15 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Lion Log - part 2

Originally Posted by Bix
Halloween day 31 October 2004 a lion landed in this big old country called Australia.

Not surprisingly it got me brain juices a flowin thinking about what has befallen the family Bix. A little review was in order.

Some called me eccentric…..wonder why ?

For 10 years during the 1990’s we hardly stepped outside of the home town of St.Austell. There were some rare shopping trips to Truro and Trago Mills at Liskeard and one exception when we adventured to see how the English live. A 3 day out of season trip to Butlins Minehead for our only ever family holiday.

The early 2000’s found us visiting Plymouth a couple or three times. What had become of us ? The itchy feet must have started. So, we were to jump from exploring Jannerland to emigrating to Australia. A natural path of course which is documented here in Lion Log part 1

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334318

Sit comfortably and I’ll tell you briefly how and what panned out.

Got a temporary 457 visa as old buggers with no qualifications don’t have a lot of choice

Didn’t think I could rely on my pushbike so learnt to drive 6 months before emigrating.

Did carboot sales and EBay for first time.

Couldn’t sell house so remortgaged to release equity and rented it out.

Da Boss and Da Boys flew for the first time on one of them big things with wings that don’t flap.

Started work 7 days after landing only to find it’s a job I’ve never done before. A long story about being conned. Couldn’t admit that and go back to Blighty so ballshitted and swotted hard at every given hour of the day and night.

They hand me a mobile phone so I ask what I do with it. I had never used one before but soon learnt. I can now make a call.

Youngest son into TAFE. Temp visa means International Student basis so very high cost. Eldest can do nothing as needed to stay dependant and we couldn’t afford UNI for him.

Move rental.

3 month review and the General Manager says he didn’t want to employ me but admits he was wrong cos I am the most successful POM they have brought over so put in for RSMS visa right away.

Move rental.

Get RSMS visa in 31 days.

Go to GC to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary.

Missus gets part time job in British Lolly shop. Eldest follows her.

Rental is sold so have to move again.

Cyclone Larry pays a visit.

Lolly shop is franchised and new owners will run it so no jobs.

Missus gets job in silver jewelry shop and son in Dick Smiths.

Missus and eldest both pass driving test.

Lodger in UK leaves so decide to sell house. Get quick sale but it’s a scam and falls through after nearly 6 months. Cleans us out financially so more debt.

Try to put missus on the streets but can’t afford to pay the punters.

Visitors from UK.

Boss of jewelry shop throws wobblies at staff and customers so missus tells her to stick her job. That’s 12 staff in 8 months…..wonder why ?

Rental is sold so have to move yet again.

Missus insists we buy. Tight timing but get second sale on UK house completed in 6 weeks leaving just over 6 weeks to do the same here. In the throws of that now.

Son has been put forward by his manager for a new job. Casual to assistant manager in less than 6 months is pushing it though.

Found a house to buy. Come on my beaut, time is of the essence. Don’t want to go into other accommodation first.

Have visitors from UK here now and another lot in November. Just what we need right now. Hey-ho, adds to the fun.

So, I think I can safely say we have had an exciting and challenging last couple of years…..in fact 3 years. Never a dull moment with one thing happening after another.

Lot’s of life changing things for our family. We have grown in life, we have grown in self stature.

There aint no problems - only solutions.

I’ve not really said anything about Australia have I ?

Well, if you’ve seen our posts you will know how much we like it……and did I mention Cairns ? We have a lot to discover yet but hope we have helped a few other expats realise this beautiful place is here.

We are now looking forward to settling down in our own bit of Australia and relaxing more than we have for a long time. Yup, I think we are here to stay.

Australia is home.
Bix - you never moan, you just get on with it - like you say no problems only solutions. I`d take my hat off to you but Im not wearing one!! I only hope that I can be as positive when it`s finally our turn!
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lion Log - part 2

Top dog Bix, have read some of your previous threads but didnt realise the whole of it.

Good luck to you, misses and younger Bixes, most people would have run back by now me thinks so am going to print off this thread just to remind me of what it may take and havnt read part 1 yet.

You sound like you have the attitude we all need

Mick

F**k, just read the 1st one!

Last edited by mickagnew; Oct 23rd 2006 at 3:58 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:02 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Love your attitude, Bix. Not all would cope with the stresses and strains that you and your family have faced and still keep smiling. It's a testament to your strength that you've managed to do so. Good on 'ya mate!

Nicky
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:12 pm
CDT
Forum Regular

CDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really nice

Bix, just read parts 1 and 2. Have to say fantastic posts to encourage people when the going gets tough!

Brilliant attitude and some great words of wisdom!

Thanks for sharing
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:39 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Good onya mate looks like it's all coming together nicely for you now
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:47 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Bix, really enjoyed it, will read part 1 when little un is in bed later. All the best with the house and future.

What a great attitude you have.

Joex
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

And who said life was boring Nice post, could have done with a bit more meat on those bones but I guess you've already chewed them dry

Hope the house purchase is straightforward - something should be.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly seems like it's all coming together for you.

I take it your ex boss is off the Christmas card list then?
Old Oct 24th 2006, 1:51 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoyed reading that

also read part 1, felt sorry for Mrs Bix throwing up on the plane, poor thing, do you think it was just a combination of nerves and airsickness?

anyway, glad to hear Australia is home for you
Old Oct 24th 2006, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Home to the Bixes
Old Oct 24th 2006, 2:17 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Trago Mills...memories.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Bix, I love to hear how others made the decision to come out here, how hard/easy it can be once you here. Good luck for the rest
Old Oct 24th 2006, 7:38 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you're in QLD but in NSW if rental is sold the new owners have to accept the lease term and conditions. UNLESS the landlord defaults on his loan, in which case you can be held to be squatting and evicted! (I am speaking from bitter and ongoing experience!)

Good luck.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 7:52 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice one Bix... thanks for writing and good luck to you guys - you certainly deserve it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.