IELTS grey area

Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:49 am
isa
Just Joined

isa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS grey area

hello

i have a question.

i pass the exam in april last year with relatively good marks (8, 7.5, 6, 8). I have worked in the UK for 6 years and in oz for 1 year and half.

i want to apply for 136 visa, but just learned about this IELTS one year validity thing and the existence of a so called grey area. does such thing exist?

my question should i send my application now, and hope that the DIMIA wont ask me to take another test or wait till a pass the exam as my old results are not valid anymore anyway?

cheers

isa
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:49 am
Visa Granted 04/07/2006

zeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: IELTS grey area

Hi!

Actually, I'm quite sure the IELTS is valid TWO (2) years. It's actually stated on the TRF.

So, if you apply within the next 1 year, you SHOULD BE okay.

However, I reckon if DIMIA wants you to redo the test, then you'll have to...

Good Luck!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

demigrate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS grey area

Originally Posted by zeny
Hi!

Actually, I'm quite sure the IELTS is valid TWO (2) years. It's actually stated on the TRF.

Good Luck!
IELTS results are valid for 2 years for most purposes but DIMA are only interested if the results are less than 12 months old. The OP should book herself on to the next exam in order that they can can take another test. According to a post recently from an agent, unless you are a national from a country where English is the first language then you will be required to take an IELTS test. My wife has worked in English for 8 years but was required to take the test.

Darren
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:36 am
Mark

Hi Isa

I could be wrong but I've read that it can be just down to your case
office so yes, it is a grey area.

DIMIA may accept it or they may not if your using an IELTS test result
more than 12 months old at time of application.

They are more likely to if it's well above the threshold and/or you're
clearly living in an English speaking environment.

Regards

Mark

--
Mark

Old Apr 26th 2006, 12:45 pm
Cherry's

Melmike will become famous soon enoughMelmike will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by isa
hello

i have a question.

i pass the exam in april last year with relatively good marks (8, 7.5, 6, 8). I have worked in the UK for 6 years and in oz for 1 year and half.

i want to apply for 136 visa, but just learned about this IELTS one year validity thing and the existence of a so called grey area. does such thing exist?

my question should i send my application now, and hope that the DIMIA wont ask me to take another test or wait till a pass the exam as my old results are not valid anymore anyway?

cheers

isa
Hi Isa,

If I were you, I would send the application now with the current IELTS test report. This way I wouldn't lose anything, as you could simply take the test if/when they ask for it.

Except of course, you may not get the test dates you want, in which case you can ask for more time to submit.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by Melmike; Apr 26th 2006 at 12:48 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

demigrate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Melmike
Hi Isa,

If I were you, I would send the application now with the current IELTS test report. This way I wouldn't lose anything, as you could simply take the test if/when they ask for it.

Except of course, you may not get the test dates you want, in which case you can ask for more time to submit.

Cheers,
Mike
I guess it depends on how quickly you want the visa. If you are requested to get a new IELTS result then it could delay the process by a few months especially if you can't get the dates you want. Only you know if that is something you are happy to live with.

Darren
Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:05 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isa
hello

i have a question.

cheers

isa

Hi Isa,

The heading of your post got my attention. There is no "grey" area. We're seeing native South African English speakers being asked to provide evidence of primary schooling in English or do the test. And for DIMA purposes, the tests expire after 12 months. I'd just do the test again.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Apr 27th 2006, 6:11 am
Visa Granted 04/07/2006

zeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by zeny
Hi!

Good Luck!

Sorry, my mistake. It is 1 (one) year for DIMIA's purpose. There's really no grey area.

Looks like you have three options:

1) Apply with the current results and hope it's acceptable by DIMIA. If it's not acceptable by DIMIA, then retake the test.

2) Apply with (or even without) the current results. Retake the test while waiting for DIMIA to response (which will take a few months anyway). If DIMIA is okay with the old results then small bananas. If not, you have the new results ready.

3) Retake the test, then apply...

Personally, I'll go with option 2 but you'll have to factor in your budget and time frame on your own accord.

Anyone with any other insights?

CHEERS!
Old Apr 27th 2006, 8:12 am
isa
Just Joined

isa is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you all for your help.

this forum is priceless

cheers

isa