Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane suburbs (not the usual beaches question)

Brisbane suburbs (not the usual beaches question)

Old Mar 13th 2006, 8:14 pm
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future
Default Brisbane suburbs (not the usual beaches question)

I've seen loads of questions about family life, close to beaches and so on. But I'm less interested in that, as I'd sooner save that for the weekend.

I'm moving next month, got somewhere to stay for a few months while I check out a rental, but I'd be interested in any comments on the suburbs offering more of a terrance/nightlife culture in a reasonable walking distance rather than driving.

I've been advised that the Vally, but also read it is a bit too pubby rather than a selection. Paddington might be worth a look, but that was advice from an ex-inhabitant who left a few years ago.

I'm going to be working in Milton, will get a car, so travel is not such a problem.

Any ideas on where to go, or where to avoid?

Last edited by adriang; Mar 13th 2006 at 8:19 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 11:20 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane suburbs (not the usual beaches question)

Hi mate

Thought I would throw West End into the hat for you big cafe culture although a little alternate. My future brother in law rented there and loved the place for the reasons you listed.

cheers
TT

Originally Posted by adriang
I've seen loads of questions about family life, close to beaches and so on. But I'm less interested in that, as I'd sooner save that for the weekend.

I'm moving next month, got somewhere to stay for a few months while I check out a rental, but I'd be interested in any comments on the suburbs offering more of a terrance/nightlife culture in a reasonable walking distance rather than driving.

I've been advised that the Vally, but also read it is a bit too pubby rather than a selection. Paddington might be worth a look, but that was advice from an ex-inhabitant who left a few years ago.

I'm going to be working in Milton, will get a car, so travel is not such a problem.

Old Mar 13th 2006, 11:27 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Paddington is lovely, very bohemian and lots of Queenslander style homes. Very hilly. Rosalie nearby is also very nice though more restaurants than pubs and clubs.

If I could have bought a decent sized block there I would live in either tomorrow.

Jane
Old Mar 14th 2006, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Paddington is ok. We almost bought a place there. But it is very hilly in places. Also whilst there are some really stunning queenslanders here I did find that you had to be quite careful which particular street to choose, because there are some very 'tired' looking places, a bit run down to be polite. Still, its very convenient for Milton, and close to everything you need.

The Valley buzzes every night. Plenty to do in terms of eateries, pubs and clubs, but its not somewhere I'd choose to live because it is without doubt a bit seedier than other areas. Next suburb along (New Farm) has become very upmarket in the last couple of years. We quite often eat out in New Farm and then walk to the Valley for a drink. Its an area that's gone through tremendous development and has become quite yuppified (and expensive of-course - check out Oxlade Drive prices! Amazing.)

West End.....well I love visiting here...but it is definitely a more ethnic area, and more of a backpacker feel to it, though it does have good nightlife. Its the sort of place I go for cheap noodles and BYO!! I suspect it will be a huge capital growth area in the next few years, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns into another New Farm. I wouldn't choose to live here (at the moment) but if I had some spare cash, I would definitely invest here!

Have you heard of Bulimba / Balmoral? Its a short ferry ride (about 10 mins or maybe less) to New Farm and 20 mins to the CBD (35 to Southbank).

We live here and I find its a brilliant location. You can drive to the city in 10 minutes (not in rush hour), you can be in the West End within a 15 min drive or Southbank in 10 mins. It has a city cat terminal plus cross river ferry access (to Teneriffe).

It has a great cafe precinct (Oxford Street). Its a bit yuppified, very similar to Park Road Milton, for example, but I personally think Oxford St is slightly better. The area is full of lovely old queenslanders mixed with a few quite modern builds (specially down near the water). Outside of Oxford St it's very quiet and quaint (Riding Road is a bit noisy). Its quite expensive, but I would say quite a capital growth area, due to its excellent location, facilities and accessibility to all areas of inner Brisbane.

Its about 15 mins to the airport (but not on flightpath). 10 mins to Cannon Hill shopping. 13 mins to Carindale shopping. About 45 mins to Surfers. About 40 mins to Sunshine Coast. 18 mins to Manly. 25 mins to Cleveland.

All depends on your price expectations I suppose.

I'm a huge city bum, but I like a bit of peace and quiet when I come home. I like everything on my doorstep, but not in my face. I'm not a big clubber (prefer eateries and pubs). I HATE driving, but I don't really need a car in Bulimba / Balmoral because I can walk to everything I need within 10 minutes max, or catch a city cat into CBD / Southbank / Newfarm or bus to West End etc. Its about 15 mins drive to Milton (along Coronation Drive), but obviously longer in rush hour. We do this drive quite a lot when we eat in Park Road (Milton), or on our way up to Mt.Cootha.

I prefer to be in a slightly more upmarket area, not because I'm a snob, I'd just rather escape the graffiti artists and general hooners.

Another fabulous area for living (but you need to drive / bus / or train for entertainment) is Graceville / Sherwood. Seems to get overlooked a lot. Stunning houses. Very leafy quiet gorgeous city suburb but pricey again. Maybe not quite what you're after, but just thought I'd mention it for anyone else reading this post. Very quick drive for Indooroopilly (straight across the bridge) and therefore also very handy for Milton.

If you're renting for a while you'll have plenty of opportunity to check these places out, but if you mention Bulimba / Balmoral to locals, you will always get a favorable answer. Try it and see. They all seem to frequent Oxford street on a regular basis either for wining, dining or cinema.

Hope this is of help. Let me know if you're considering any other inner city suburbs and I will try and help. Where will your rental be situated (if you don't mind me asking)?

Best wishes
Netta
Old Mar 14th 2006, 4:59 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Great post Netta and i absolutely agree with you.

I live in Paddington and in my opinion the going out options around here are not that great, i've been here 8 months and have gone out in Paddington once! But said that a lot of building work is going on at the moment in Paddington so maybe that'll change.

I much prefer the valley and West end, i like West End cause i think a bit like Paddington it has real character. Like Netta said Bulimba is lovely and that would have been my no. 1 choice if it hadn't been so far from uni.

Good Luck with making a choice
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BKate
Great post Netta and i absolutely agree with you.

I live in Paddington and in my opinion the going out options around here are not that great, i've been here 8 months and have gone out in Paddington once! But said that a lot of building work is going on at the moment in Paddington so maybe that'll change.

I much prefer the valley and West end, i like West End cause i think a bit like Paddington it has real character. Like Netta said Bulimba is lovely and that would have been my no. 1 choice if it hadn't been so far from uni.

Good Luck with making a choice

Its nice to have someone agree. I'm always a bit nervous about replying to the suburb posts, I half expect a barrage of abuse from certain residents defending their area, so thank-you for your comments. One thing I can say - I have never spoken to anyone that doesn't like the Bulimba Balmoral area (yet). It has come as a welcome surprise, and we are just SOOOOO glad we chose this suburb! I guess some people come to QLD for the beach, and some come for acreage, but if you come for the city, it's a fantastic choice.

Netta
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:56 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
Its nice to have someone agree. I'm always a bit nervous about replying to the suburb posts, I half expect a barrage of abuse from certain residents defending their area, so thank-you for your comments. One thing I can say - I have never spoken to anyone that doesn't like the Bulimba Balmoral area (yet). It has come as a welcome surprise, and we are just SOOOOO glad we chose this suburb! I guess some people come to QLD for the beach, and some come for acreage, but if you come for the city, it's a fantastic choice.

Netta
I'll agree with you too Netta - as you well know .
Old Mar 14th 2006, 6:10 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

I'm a huge city bum, but I like a bit of peace and quiet when I come home. I like everything on my doorstep, but not in my face. I'm not a big clubber (prefer eateries and pubs). I HATE driving, but I don't really need a car in Bulimba / Balmoral because I can walk to everything I need within 10 minutes max, or catch a city cat into CBD / Southbank / Newfarm or bus to West End etc. Its about 15 mins drive to Milton (along Coronation Drive), but obviously longer in rush hour. We do this drive quite a lot when we eat in Park Road (Milton), or on our way up to Mt.Cootha.

Where will your rental be situated (if you don't mind me asking)?

Netta
Thanx Netta, this is fantastic info.

I'm pretty well the same as you in regards to tastes. I've lived in Amsterdam for the past 10 years, my first city living experience, and I love it. I'm close enough to the action to stagger home if I miss the last tram or forget where I've chained up my bike!

I'm going to stay with some friends for a couple of weeks who live in St Lucia, and will then move into a service apartment that the company I'm going to work for will arrange for me, they said there is somewhere that is about 5 mins walk away which will suit me just fine. The agreement is that they will keep me there for *about* 6 weeks.

I'm hoping that within this 8-10 weeks I can figure out what neighbourhood and find somewhere to rent for 12 months which will give me long enough to decide about throwing down more permenant roots.

I'll certainly check out Bulimba / Balmoral. Is this a flat area? I've heard about the need for the breezes in the hight of the humidity.

My only must have, is to have somewhere to live with a garage or a workshop space (motor cycles).
Old Mar 14th 2006, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Paddington is ok. We almost bought a place there. But it is very hilly in places. Also whilst there are some really stunning queenslanders here I did find that you had to be quite careful which particular street to choose, because there are some very 'tired' looking places, a bit run down to be polite. Still, its very convenient for Milton, and close to everything you need.

The Valley buzzes every night. Plenty to do in terms of eateries, pubs and clubs, but its not somewhere I'd choose to live because it is without doubt a bit seedier than other areas. Next suburb along (New Farm) has become very upmarket in the last couple of years. We quite often eat out in New Farm and then walk to the Valley for a drink. Its an area that's gone through tremendous development and has become quite yuppified (and expensive of-course - check out Oxlade Drive prices! Amazing.)

West End.....well I love visiting here...but it is definitely a more ethnic area, and more of a backpacker feel to it, though it does have good nightlife. Its the sort of place I go for cheap noodles and BYO!! I suspect it will be a huge capital growth area in the next few years, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns into another New Farm. I wouldn't choose to live here (at the moment) but if I had some spare cash, I would definitely invest here!

Have you heard of Bulimba / Balmoral? Its a short ferry ride (about 10 mins or maybe less) to New Farm and 20 mins to the CBD (35 to Southbank).

We live here and I find its a brilliant location. You can drive to the city in 10 minutes (not in rush hour), you can be in the West End within a 15 min drive or Southbank in 10 mins. It has a city cat terminal plus cross river ferry access (to Teneriffe).

It has a great cafe precinct (Oxford Street). Its a bit yuppified, very similar to Park Road Milton, for example, but I personally think Oxford St is slightly better. The area is full of lovely old queenslanders mixed with a few quite modern builds (specially down near the water). Outside of Oxford St it's very quiet and quaint (Riding Road is a bit noisy). Its quite expensive, but I would say quite a capital growth area, due to its excellent location, facilities and accessibility to all areas of inner Brisbane.

Its about 15 mins to the airport (but not on flightpath). 10 mins to Cannon Hill shopping. 13 mins to Carindale shopping. About 45 mins to Surfers. About 40 mins to Sunshine Coast. 18 mins to Manly. 25 mins to Cleveland.

I prefer to be in a slightly more upmarket area, not because I'm a snob, I'd just rather escape the graffiti artists and general hooners.

Another fabulous area for living (but you need to drive / bus / or train for entertainment) is Graceville / Sherwood. Seems to get overlooked a lot. Stunning houses. Very leafy quiet gorgeous city suburb but pricey again. Maybe not quite what you're after, but just thought I'd mention it for anyone else reading this post. Very quick drive for Indooroopilly (straight across the bridge) and therefore also very handy for Milton.

If you're renting for a while you'll have plenty of opportunity to check these places out, but if you mention Bulimba / Balmoral to locals, you will always get a favorable answer. Try it and see. They all seem to frequent Oxford street on a regular basis either for wining, dining or cinema.

Hope this is of help. Let me know if you're considering any other inner city suburbs and I will try and help. Where will your rental be situated (if you don't mind me asking)?

Best wishes
Netta

fab post netta, thanks
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanx Netta, this is fantastic info.

I'm pretty well the same as you in regards to tastes. I've lived in Amsterdam for the past 10 years, my first city living experience, and I love it. I'm close enough to the action to stagger home if I miss the last tram or forget where I've chained up my bike!

I'm going to stay with some friends for a couple of weeks who live in St Lucia, and will then move into a service apartment that the company I'm going to work for will arrange for me, they said there is somewhere that is about 5 mins walk away which will suit me just fine. The agreement is that they will keep me there for *about* 6 weeks.

I'm hoping that within this 8-10 weeks I can figure out what neighbourhood and find somewhere to rent for 12 months which will give me long enough to decide about throwing down more permenant roots.

I'll certainly check out Bulimba / Balmoral. Is this a flat area? I've heard about the need for the breezes in the hight of the humidity.

My only must have, is to have somewhere to live with a garage or a workshop space (motor cycles).
Ahhhh - Amsterdam - one of my favorite cities.

Bulimba is fairly flat, but Balmoral is quite hilly. In fact there's one hill that makes me want to throw up as I drive over the top of it. We live on the edge of Balmoral / Bulimba, so a relatively small incline to walk / stumble home from Oxford street. However the road behind us is up with the Gods! We have some awesome views of the city, especially from the top of our house but NO breeze. But we are facing the sun all day, so that's our choice. We sacrificed the breeze for the views, and aircon is essential for those hot sticky days. We find the temperature in the city generally about 3-4 degrees hotter than the coast - but no where near what it gets like in Ipswich (sorry Ipswich residents - I just don't know how you cope!)

As I walk from our house (Balmoral) down Oxford Street ( Bulimba), which takes about 3 minutes, I can feel a really nice cool breeze wafting up. And by the time you get down near the water it is extremely pleasant. So in answer to your question, I think you'll easily find a nice breezy house in this area. I think North East aspect is supposed to be the best / coolest (I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got that wrong - I seem to have mislaid my compass for the moment!)

Anyway - best of luck wherever you choose.

Netta
Old Mar 15th 2006, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

i'm in the gabba........

believe some bits of the gabba get a bit of a bad rap but we've not had any probs yet where we've been (touch wood)

i like it cos it's close to the city/valley/new farm, close to southbank where i'm studying, close to the west end, and even close to bulimba/balmoral (which is a great area!!!). it's also easy to get onto the freeway both nore and south making trips to sunshine coast, gold coast and especially (at the minute!) ikea!!!!!

the gabba will certainly do us while we're studying!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:15 pm
cdx
Just Joined

cdx is an unknown quantity at this point

We live here and I find its a brilliant location. You can drive to the city in 10

Hi Netta,

Gret post. One of the most useful posts I've read on Brisbane. I was wondering if you could tell me how far it is from Queensland University by car and public transport? Are there many units available for rent, and how much would you expect to pay for a nice 2 bedroom unit with carspace?

cheers!
cdx
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:21 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Spring hill for our first six months. You can walk from there into the CBD in no time.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:53 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

I've lived in the Valley and New Farm. Loved the Valley. As long as you live New Farm side of the Valley it's great, and not seedy at all. 5 minutes to lots of pub nightlife, and the quieter cafe/bar scene of New Farm. If I was happy to go apartment living again, I'd be there in a flash (loving living in a house too much right now though). I was there for about 3 years, met my girlfriend there.

And the Valley doesn't go off every night. Monday nights (or was it Tuesday nights) are dead!!

If you do end up that way, be sure to check out the Continental Cafe at the top end of New Farm. Mmmmmmmmm. Looking forward to going back there this weekend.

I have also lived in Paddington, and besides the Paddo, the nightlife options are limited - The Caxton is a horrible place. Rosalie tends to shut at 9.

The West End is getting there, especially now they have rezoned the areas by the river for residential. I can see it taking off. If you are in the West End, try out the Rumpus Room. Just like being in your own front room. Couches everywhere!!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cdx
We live here and I find its a brilliant location. You can drive to the city in 10

Hi Netta,

Gret post. One of the most useful posts I've read on Brisbane. I was wondering if you could tell me how far it is from Queensland University by car and public transport? Are there many units available for rent, and how much would you expect to pay for a nice 2 bedroom unit with carspace?

cheers!
cdx
Hello CDX - I assume are we talking about the St.Lucia campus here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.