Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Blimey..someone's havin' a laugh...

Blimey..someone's havin' a laugh...

Old Mar 9th 2006, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of
Red face Blimey..someone's havin' a laugh...

As below really,Someone offered us our asking price for the house today which is great as houses around the Burton area seem to take a while to move(thats why we put the house on the market at this time).. we are hoping for a Visa reply around July 06 so we are a bit up in the air at the mo with what to do next?
One thing I've been thinking about is..While youre visa application is being 'sorted' can we still visit Oz??(holiday visa 3 months)....can we wait for a decision while still being in Oz??
What would you do.. Having things move this quick (without sounding un-grateful) I dont know if this offer is a hinderance or help
Thanks anyway Simon
Old Mar 9th 2006, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blimey..someone's havin' a laugh...

Originally Posted by SBUK
As below really,Someone offered us our asking price for the house today which is great as houses around the Burton area seem to take a while to move(thats why we put the house on the market at this time).. we are hoping for a Visa reply around July 06 so we are a bit up in the air at the mo with what to do next?
One thing I've been thinking about is..While youre visa application is being 'sorted' can we still visit Oz??(holiday visa 3 months)....can we wait for a decision while still being in Oz??
What would you do.. Having things move this quick (without sounding un-grateful) I dont know if this offer is a hinderance or help
Thanks anyway Simon
It's a help. Take it. You can always rent something or stay with rellies for a while.
Most moves take longer anyway ... something usually crops up.

If you visit Aus and your app is in for a visa, you have to inform them that you're there. If you have a Case officer, speak to him or her about it.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 7:45 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks anyway Simon
Hope someone corrects me if i'm wrong but I dont think you can be in Australia when you are granted the visa?

congrats on house sale
Old Mar 9th 2006, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reply's The holiday thing is just something that is floating around my head at the mo!! We all hope that the Lady who is buying doesnt mind hanging on till July time?? Our application is on a MODL vibe so our Agent has mentioned a 3/4 month wait so we'd be jammy sods if it all falls nicely in the summer?? we'll see I suppose Thanks again.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

[QUOTE=SBUK]As below really,Someone offered us our asking price for the house today

As an Estate agent in the Uk - id take it mate...things arnt that rosy over here in Yorkshire with some slight confidence returning to the market.
Also nationally things are taking about 8 to ten weeks to go through solicitors and currently one in three offers will fall through before completion not that im saying it will! ...better to take it and try to get some temporary accomodation it will put you in a much better position!. Just taken on one house for a guy whos has his visa is chomping at the bit to go and has been trying to sell his house for just under a year!! (WITH ANOTHER AGENT I ADD!)

Ive got to find an assurer so if you know any.......
Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry I dont ...but thanks anyroad
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:51 pm
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Our PR visa took so bloody long that we came over on a 6 month holiday visa. We checked with DIMIA and they said it was okay but we went to Australia house in London to get the visitor visa and the clerk said she didn't think it was possible and we had a tense wait while she checked it out but she came back and said it was okay. She wouldn't give us a normal visa though and we had a 6 month, one entry visa so we couldn't go overseas at all in that time. You will need to give DIMIA a new address in Oz for where to send the post and make sure they don't make a mistake and assume that you need a police cert for Oz like they did with us but didn't tell us.
Also, we had to leave the country to pick up our PR but NZ is only a short, but expensive, plane ride away.
Good luck with the house sale

Sass

Originally Posted by possoms
Hope someone corrects me if i'm wrong but I dont think you can be in Australia when you are granted the visa?

congrats on house sale
Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:02 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sass73
Hi,
Our PR visa took so bloody long that we came over on a 6 month holiday visa. We checked with DIMIA and they said it was okay but we went to Australia house in London to get the visitor visa and the clerk said she didn't think it was possible and we had a tense wait while she checked it out but she came back and said it was okay. She wouldn't give us a normal visa though and we had a 6 month, one entry visa so we couldn't go overseas at all in that time. You will need to give DIMIA a new address in Oz for where to send the post and make sure they don't make a mistake and assume that you need a police cert for Oz like they did with us but didn't tell us.
Also, we had to leave the country to pick up our PR but NZ is only a short, but expensive, plane ride away.
Good luck with the house sale

Sass
aahh thats it, didnt think you could be in the country to pick up the PR
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Simon, Simon, Simon!

Go with it, dont concern yourself with the time scale, you have sold for the asking price (hope all goes well) you are in a good position m8! Its a HELP believe me, you are one of the very lucky ones dont forget that!!!!

We had to come over without being able to sell our house and we would NOT recommend it to anyone - far better to sell if you can.

BTW "anyroad" you Cornish or something - or just taking the P!!???

Gill
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

ianp will become famous soon enoughianp will become famous soon enough

Thanks anyway Simon
We had exactly the same happen to us, and we decided to come out anyway as we thought we'd achieved a good price and it may not have happened again. however our visa took alot longer than we'd anticipated so we had a few panic moments, but it all worked out in the end, us having to go to Auckland to pick up our PR visas, alot of messing about . but in hindsight We would rather have had this problem than an unsold house back in the UK,if this is of any help.

regards

Kath
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Someone offered us our asking price for the house today
Blimey, I wish someone would offer us anything let alone asking price. Take the offer quickly and start planning.....