Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Please please buy my house

Please please buy my house

Old Mar 1st 2006, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

SunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really nice
Default Re: Please please buy my house

We have been on the market since last September and it's still not sold!!!. Probably went on right after the Summer selling had finished (we waited for our PR to be delivered). Big mistake!!!!!!!!.
I dont know whats worse. The long wait to get the PR or having PR in your hand and STILL being in limbo waiting for the bloomin house to sell.

First agents were completely useless but my wife managed to wrange a 4 week tester contract so we got out of that really quick.
Our current agent is getting the viewings (on average 2 a week) but no offers!!!!. A few second viewings but then gone cold. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........
Gonna see if dropping the price will do it. Thinking about dropping 10K but not sure if that will clinch it or not. With the exchange rate going the wrong direction too (oh wow!!!)

Completely p'ddddddd off
SS
Old Mar 1st 2006, 8:30 am
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

We have just put ours on the market but I am not telling where I am going in case a buyer tries to drop the price later in the sale. I am making the agent do the viewingstoo! We have a viewer on friday but she still has one to sell so I am not holding out any great hopes!
Old Mar 1st 2006, 4:01 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I am probably going back to the UK, and made some tentative enquiries with estate agents. One large chain (who should probably remain nameless) told me that most houses are stupidly overpriced outside London and that as a cash buyer (even a cash + mortgage like me) I should offer 25% less than the purchase price. He said that people emigrating will take the lower price and that he had a few "on my books". Repossessed houses are also available in increasing numbers too, which is sad. He identified one house I was looking at, and told me to offer nearly £30,000 less than the buyers wanted.

Why are estate agents doing this in the UK? Surely this is unfair on the vendors as puts off potential buyers. Houses here sell in weeks if not days. They are priced to sell, no inflated prices and the so the chain moves quickly.Those of you who are on the market in the UK and have been for months.....doesn't that sound alarm bells? I experienced negative equity in the early nineties and it is a dreadful situation to be in. Maybe people are just being cautious which is why there is a down turn?

The family who were selling the house and leaving for Aus - the estate agent told them I would view but would not offer anywhere near what they were asking. They said OK, which immediately tells me that the house was overpriced.....maybe just reducing the price and having a big advert in the local paper would have been more effective?
Old Mar 1st 2006, 4:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

So let me get this straight... the sellers agent is telling a potential buyer to put in an offer £30k below the asking price that he himself agreed upon with his client?

Can you say "conflict of interest"
Old Mar 1st 2006, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

stubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura about

estate agents only get their money when it is sold and therefore they try to suss whats a good offer and suggest it to the possible buyer... ours did that and i had a fit at them....

selling houses suck i hate it and never want to own a house again
Old Mar 1st 2006, 4:52 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
So let me get this straight... the sellers agent is telling a potential buyer to put in an offer £30k below the asking price that he himself agreed upon with his client?

Can you say "conflict of interest"
Very much so...it's why I posted as this happened yesterday. I've been here so long I had completely forgotten how bad that process is in the UK. I was really surprised at the estate agents comments, but there is no contractual obligation for the estate agents to work for the vendor and only the vendor apparently. Their "contract" is simply to sell the house. Shocking! This was a six bed house up North, it was on for £229,950. He said to offer <£200,000 "because they're that desperate to sell they'll take it". :scared:

Last edited by dingbat; Mar 1st 2006 at 4:54 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

stubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dingbat
Their "contract" is simply to sell the house. Shocking! This was a six bed house up North, it was on for £229,950. He said to offer <£200,000 "because they're that desperate to sell they'll take it". :scared:
totally - you offer £200K, they proved that they have tried to sell the house, thus validaing the contract etc, the owners reject, you come back with £210K and they accept - its a bizarre way the world works... the estate agent probably int he first place told them to put it on for £230K when they wanteds it for £200K so he could make some extra % ... they are evil
Old Mar 1st 2006, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ellsie
We have just put ours on the market but I am not telling where I am going in case a buyer tries to drop the price later in the sale. I am making the agent do the viewingstoo! We have a viewer on friday but she still has one to sell so I am not holding out any great hopes!
We have told our agent not to tell viewers where we are going also as we dont want them to think we are desperate to sell at any price.

even if we are desperate
Old Mar 1st 2006, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dingbat
Very much so...it's why I posted as this happened yesterday. I've been here so long I had completely forgotten how bad that process is in the UK. I was really surprised at the estate agents comments, but there is no contractual obligation for the estate agents to work for the vendor and only the vendor apparently. Their "contract" is simply to sell the house. Shocking! This was a six bed house up North, it was on for £229,950. He said to offer <£200,000 "because they're that desperate to sell they'll take it". :scared:
Our agent knows we are going BUT he has been told in no uncertain terms that we are not desperate to sell, that we would rather take it off the market than sell for a silly price. Not quite true but agent needed to believe that
Old Mar 1st 2006, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

We rented ours for six months believing the tenants wanted to buy. They let us down and moved out taking everything, even the curtains. As we're in Canada we couldn't argue that we'd not agreed that.
The house has been on sale since they moved - the end of October. In mid January we were told of a burst pipe bringing down the kitchen ceiling. After a lot of expensive 'phone calls the insurance company have told us they will not pay for the damage as the house was empty for more than 60 days.
So the moral of this story:
  • Sell it as soon as you know you are leaving for Canada. Don't rent it.
  • If you must rent it, agree what the tenant is buying off you (assuming your selling stuff to them).
  • Whatever happens make sure the house is securely locked, and tanks drained by the time the insurance runs out. Arrange a freindly neighbour to pop in once a week
  • Expect the unexpected. Don't count your chickens.
We've bitten the bullet with not being able to sell. I contacted National Homebuyers http://www.nationalhomebuyers.co.uk/index.cfm last week to give me an offer. I'll post back soon.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

We talked to various agents about whether or not to divulge that we were going overseas and the general consensus was to tell them as having no upward chain is a bonus. We tell them that we're moving overseas but have no fixed schedule, we can move now if it sells or stay a while longer if it doesn't.

We've just had a manic last minute viewing. The agent rang and said someone was in the office and they come either come now or at the weekend so I bit the bullet and said come now. I had 30 mins to tidy up and make the house presentable. They seemed positive but let's see....
Old Mar 1st 2006, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

national home buyers are on the bbc watchdog site.. you have to pay them the valuation fee of £450, then they offer you at least 30% lower than the valuation or street price, most people refuse and they keep your £450 becuase they only refund it fi they buy it for their price... be careful...

if you dont need your funds from the house straight away (no idea how the funds things work for PR stuff) you can be out of the country when your house sells once youhave signed allt he relevant bits with your solicitor or appointed him or someone else as your representive...

re: insurance.. someone has to sleep overnight at least 1 night every 30 days to keep the house insurance valid...
Old Mar 1st 2006, 7:37 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

We had a letter pushed through our letterbox the other day from a couple in the area who were desperate to buy (they were both teachers, but you couldn't tell that from the dreadful spelling).

They stated in the letter "We know you are emigrating to Canada and are desperate to sell," then offered to buy the house for 2/3 the selling price!

My first reaction (apart from "What in the F**k!?!") was that of offence - who the hell are these people, knowing all this stuff about me, how dare she tell me how 'desperate' I am. She obviously thinks I'm an idiot to even consider their paltry insult of an offer....

*rants on and on for some time*
Old Mar 1st 2006, 7:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tidge
We had a letter pushed through our letterbox the other day from a couple in the area who were desperate to buy (they were both teachers, but you couldn't tell that from the dreadful spelling).

They stated in the letter "We know you are emigrating to Canada and are desperate to sell," then offered to buy the house for 2/3 the selling price!

My first reaction (apart from "What in the F**k!?!") was that of offence - who the hell are these people, knowing all this stuff about me, how dare she tell me how 'desperate' I am. She obviously thinks I'm an idiot to even consider their paltry insult of an offer....

*rants on and on for some time*
Find out where they live and leave a burning bag of dogshit outside

They will probably just assume its one of their pupils
Old Mar 1st 2006, 7:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Find out where they live and leave a burning bag of dogshit outside

They will probably just assume its one of their pupils
I advise extreme caution with dog shit antics. For example, before one scoops dog shit off one's lawn with a shovel and then uses the shovel to splatter the shit all across the front of a neighbour's house, one should be quite sure of the origin of the turd. Otherwise one finds oneself up a ladder scrubbing and apologising.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.