Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore/Johru Bahru Stop over info req.

Singapore/Johru Bahru Stop over info req.

Old Feb 26th 2006, 9:10 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future
Default Singapore/Johru Bahru Stop over info req.

Hi

We have just over 24 hours in Singapore on Wed this week on our first trip back to the uk after 3.5 years here.... It'll be interesting to see what we make of it....

It's the father in laws birthday soon and he has requested one of those "fine" counterfeit "rolex" or "omega" watches so regulalry found in Bangkok etc. Only been to Singers once before for a couple of days... Any advice as to where i could go to find such a dubious present...

I suspect Singapore might be too "straight" for such things and wonderd about JB instead? Anyone any first hand knowledge??

Cheers
Old Feb 26th 2006, 9:32 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Singapore/Johru Bahru Stop over info req.

Originally Posted by jjonboy
Hi

We have just over 24 hours in Singapore on Wed this week on our first trip back to the uk after 3.5 years here.... It'll be interesting to see what we make of it....

It's the father in laws birthday soon and he has requested one of those "fine" counterfeit "rolex" or "omega" watches so regulalry found in Bangkok etc. Only been to Singers once before for a couple of days... Any advice as to where i could go to find such a dubious present...

I suspect Singapore might be too "straight" for such things and wonderd about JB instead? Anyone any first hand knowledge??

Cheers
come on someone must be walking round with a $10 bargain and wondering what the time is cause it only works every second day!
Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Beermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really niceBeermonster is just really nice

come on someone must be walking round with a $10 bargain and wondering what the time is cause it only works every second day!
I picked up some "Diesel" watches on Scotts Road/Orchard Road, so it may be worth trying there.

JB is obviously worth a trip for dodgy stuff, but you could spend a couple of hours in the queues on the causeway checkpoints
Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Louis Roi is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get those watches in Bugis. Not in the mall but in the covered bazaar across Bugis Junction. The best though, in my opinion are found in Kuala Lumpur's Chinatown and in Bangkok.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Louis Roi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Louis Roi
You can get those watches in Bugis. Not in the mall but in the covered bazaar across Bugis Junction. The best though, in my opinion are found in Kuala Lumpur's Chinatown and in Bangkok.
That's BUgis in Singapore.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:58 am
Sydney- North Shore

Originally Posted by Louis Roi
That's BUgis in Singapore.
Thanks for that, presumably near bugis mrt?
Old Feb 26th 2006, 8:40 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Thanks for that, presumably near bugis mrt?
Was there yesterday... ask for Bugis village night market - not quite as good as Bangkok or Hongkong but lots of bargains ion the watch area. There is also a night market in Chinatown which we did nolt manage to visit but is very p opular.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

You won't find replica watches with a makers name on them in Singapore. You would find them in JB but I wouldn't make any guarantee they would work for long.
When we lived in Sing. our kids bought these watches on their school trips to Malaysia and Indonesia and they never worked for long .
You might find replica watches in the markets in Little India or Malay village or China town- they will not have a well known makers name on them. I can remember buying copy G-shock watches for the children (no name on them)that worked for quite a while from our local market.
The other place to buy a watch is Holland Village shopping centre, (bus No 6, 77, 7 from Orchard road. Orchard Boulevard- behind Borders building.)Or catch a taxi.
I bought a waterproof watch £20, Cassio I think - on my stop over last yr and it still works.
H.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers
Give Johor Bahru a try, I was there last June Plenty of really cheap stuff "fine" watches,sun glasses,clothes etc, about half the price compared to Singapore, you get what you pay for, But also a lot of good quality jewellery at very reasonable prices. About 3/4 hour from Orchard Rd by Taxi 35 dollars (12 Quid ish ) there, and 35 Ringgits back (5 Quid ish) a real eye opener. Take care crossing the roads though.
Good Luck

John
Old Feb 27th 2006, 12:30 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi

Cheers
Go to Lucky Plaza ( it's on orchard road) in the night for your "Rolex" etc , you should get approached ( more like ambushed lol) outside by copy sellers of watches - if you don't ( which is very hard to imagine , because everytime I used to walk past that place I used to get ambushed by sellers selling copy rolex -

It is suposidly illegal in Sing, and they were just starting to clamp down on them when I was living there. They used to sell them quite openly outside the plaza and the police used to turn a blind eye to it .

It's where I always used to take all my visitors to buy their fake Rolex watches .There were plenty of name branded ( ie with the so-called "makers" Rolex etc name on them) fake watches being sold very openly.

Anyway, stand outside Lucky plaza waiting to get approached lol - it is your best bet for fake watches . You can also go inside then for the more touristy goods ( but watch the sellers inside this plaza - they are unscrupulous if they think you are a naive tourist. Haggle and haggle - and go with ear plugs lol -you'll get fed up of stall holders trying to call you in their shop)

Bugis street's pasar malam (night market) like has been mentioned is good for copy T-shirts and sunglasses , and other touristy stuff - again haggle

Maybe you should ask in the far east forum to see if there are any people who are currently living there and ask where is the best place to get your Rolex in Sing - But I know it certainly used to be outside Lucky plaza for all fake watches , it's where I used to take my visitors to buy them- you'd be approached within the minute by a tout selling them

I personally wouldn't bother with Holland village, it is really not the cheapest place to buy from ,and it has not got much choice of shops either - Holland village mainly caters/appeals to the anglo expat (it tends to be inflated prices) etc and not to the tourist, or even to the local singaporean - I've never seen anywhere there in Holland village that sells copy rolex watches either , it's just not the place to buy them

cheers

edit*

As I stopped living in Singpore in 97 it got me thinking perhaps they have stopped selling them now ,but a quick search with the words "Lucky plaza copy watches" in google has pulled up lots of results - so yes it looks as if you can still get them there no prob . A few examples for you :
http://www.globaldetail.com/singapore_shop
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...pore-BR-1.html

From my own past experiences of buying fae watches outside there, I'd say your best bet is to go there in the evening/night and not in the day. It's mostly in the evening/night when you get approached by the touts. ( if you don't get approached - go into the plaza and ask in one of the shops where can you buy one. One of them may go and get one of the touts for you)

Good luck

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 27th 2006 at 2:26 am.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 2:34 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

In case it is of any interest while there this week in the Lucky Plaza (having shopped around singapore, las vegas, australia and special offer shsops in uk) I got rimless designer spectacles fitted with varifocals for the inclusive sum of $S375 on the basement floor in a small shop at the end of the row named IAN Optique
excellent professional service and great glasses made in just over one day 10 am to 5.30pm next day.