Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take the house off the market over Xmas??

Take the house off the market over Xmas??

Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

mish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of light
Default Take the house off the market over Xmas??

Well, our house has been on the market since May (Yep... 6 months!!!) and we haven't had a single offer as of yet!! :scared:

Our street in usually a quite sought after - close to all amenities and quiet, etc, everybody told us it would sell in not time!!! My partner didn't have to validate his spouse visa until Sep so we thought that things would all fall into place....unfortunately, we were a little naive in regards to the current housing market!!

We had quite a lot of viewers between June-September and then in Sep, hubby validated his visa and since then we have heard Zilch - not one more viewing!!! We've changed estate agents.... and still nothing!!

Nothing seems to be selling in the area and one of my neighbours (who was also selling) has taken their property off the market due to No Viewers!!!

So my question is.... shall we take the house off the market over the xmas period and chill a bit so we don't have to keep the pond of a garden looking as good as it can do OR do we keep it on and bare the bad market through the festive season???

Some have said stay on as people have holidays to look at properties and things are picking up and some have said take it off and re-market in January!!!

Decisions.... decisions!!!!
Selling houses sucks big time!!!!
Pass me the wine quick!!!

Mish x x x

Last edited by mish & al; Nov 12th 2005 at 7:46 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take the house off the market over Xmas??

Keep it on the house next door to me sold yesterday, it's been on the market since summer last year!!!!!!
Owners moved to France, they love it there close to England but much better weather, one of them speaks fluent french so they have a slight advantage over many others
Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Hi, I dont know if this will be any help but last year we put our home on the market and it was over the christmas period. It sold in the beginning of January. It might be worth the hassle of keeping it up for sale for people that are looking to buy straight after the christmas season.
Wishing you the best of luck.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

elaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant future

Hi Mish&Al

I think that you should leave the house on the market over xmas. People looking to move in the New Year will be looking for houses over the holiday period. Good luck with the sale and have a great xmas despite the viewers!

Elaine xxx
Old Nov 12th 2005, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

I agree, keep the house on the market. Ours was on for 10 months before we sold - we had started to lose hope and were even thinking of going with one of those agencies that buy for thousands less coz you're desperate.
As annoying as it may be to keep it on, two weeks holiday for most of the country may just have the right person knocking on your door!!

Good - Luck
Old Nov 13th 2005, 12:18 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

might be time to consider dropping the price you want - better sold & money in the bank, than unsold and money in the clouds.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

mish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Guys...

Thanks for the replies!!!
I was going to put the notice in with the estate agents today so that it would see us through til the end of the month... but maybe i should leave it up after all??

I'm not sure that dropping the price would do that much at the moment as there doesn't seem to be anyone buying in the area at all!!! All of the houses that have been on the market before i put mine on, are still there and struggling!!!

As so many have said - waiting for the house to sell with a visa burning a hole in hubby's passport is driving us crazy!!! AArrgghhhh!!!

Mish x
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:56 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

I was wondering the same thing, to leave on or take off over xmas but the general consensus seems to be to leave it on.

I spose there's always that chance! ...

House selling DOES suck tho ...
Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:13 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Take the house off the market over Xmas??

Originally Posted by mish & al
Hi Guys...

Thanks for the replies!!!
I was going to put the notice in with the estate agents today so that it would see us through til the end of the month... but maybe i should leave it up after all??

I'm not sure that dropping the price would do that much at the moment as there doesn't seem to be anyone buying in the area at all!!! All of the houses that have been on the market before i put mine on, are still there and struggling!!!

As so many have said - waiting for the house to sell with a visa burning a hole in hubby's passport is driving us crazy!!! AArrgghhhh!!!

Mish x
hiya
we are hoping to emigrate next year in june or july and have an estate agent who lives next door,we asked his advice about when to put house on market and he told us to wait until xmas is over as from now till xmas he said people are to busy with the festivities and dont want to get involved with buying a house also.but i must admit that if we already had our house on the market we would keep it on,you never know.anyway all the best of luck,after all the hassle we all go through on our journey the last thing we all need is trouble selling the house.
where are you in mc,we are also in mc and are also going to perth.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by soonbethere
hiya
we are hoping to emigrate next year in june or july and have an estate agent who lives next door,we asked his advice about when to put house on market and he told us to wait until xmas is over as from now till xmas he said people are to busy with the festivities and dont want to get involved with buying a house also.but i must admit that if we already had our house on the market we would keep it on,you never know.anyway all the best of luck,after all the hassle we all go through on our journey the last thing we all need is trouble selling the house.
where are you in mc,we are also in mc and are also going to perth.

Hiya,

We're in sunny Oldham!
It seems that Oldham has had a rough time on here recently but honestly i don't mind it too much where we live!! It's quiet and fortunately we've never experienced any problems!!

At the moment it feels like our lives are on hold as we wait for the market to pick up.... but when will that be??? Could really do with a magic wand or a fairy god mother right now!!

We can't wait to get over to Perth, I went to school there and loved it!!!
My mum and her husband are moving over there too - which makes my life a little easier!!

So where in sunny Manchester are you?

Mish x
Old Nov 14th 2005, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

I hate to go against the grain on this one,but when we had the estate agents round in Sept,they told us if it got to November,not to bother putting the house up for sale,as nothing happens for Nov & Dec,in fact he always goes to Oz for 4 weeks at X-mas,partly because it's such a quiet time!
He also said you get the most interest in a property the first 2/3 weeks it goes up as New sale, so you do find people who will take it off with one agent & re-start in the New year with another agent.
Just another option for you.
Good luck whichever way you go.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

graham & alison is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Take the house off the market over Xmas??

Hiya,

We're in sunny Oldham!
It seems that Oldham has had a rough time on here recently but honestly i don't mind it too much where we live!! It's quiet and fortunately we've never experienced any problems!!

At the moment it feels like our lives are on hold as we wait for the market to pick up.... but when will that be??? Could really do with a magic wand or a fairy god mother right now!!

We can't wait to get over to Perth, I went to school there and loved it!!!
My mum and her husband are moving over there too - which makes my life a little easier!!

So where in sunny Manchester are you?

Mish x
hi mish
we are also from Oldham wife graduates next march as a nurse starting the ball rolling then hoping to be in Perth early 2007 cant wait
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:13 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

well if its any help we are planning to put our on the market in between Xmas and new year
the way i look at it people are bored between them two weeks
everyone is different
the last time we sold a house we put it on the market in between Xmas and new year and we had accepted the full asking price offer on 2nd of Jan

I'm sure your house will sell soon just persevere a bit longer
good luck

Jan xx
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, our house has been on the market since May (Yep... 6 months!!!) and we haven't had a single offer as of yet!! :scared:

Our street in usually a quite sought after - close to all amenities and quiet, etc, everybody told us it would sell in not time!!! My partner didn't have to validate his spouse visa until Sep so we thought that things would all fall into place....unfortunately, we were a little naive in regards to the current housing market!!

We had quite a lot of viewers between June-September and then in Sep, hubby validated his visa and since then we have heard Zilch - not one more viewing!!! We've changed estate agents.... and still nothing!!

Nothing seems to be selling in the area and one of my neighbours (who was also selling) has taken their property off the market due to No Viewers!!!

So my question is.... shall we take the house off the market over the xmas period and chill a bit so we don't have to keep the pond of a garden looking as good as it can do OR do we keep it on and bare the bad market through the festive season???

Some have said stay on as people have holidays to look at properties and things are picking up and some have said take it off and re-market in January!!!

Decisions.... decisions!!!!
Selling houses sucks big time!!!!
Pass me the wine quick!!!

Mish x x x
Know how you feel big time!!!.
We have also had our house on the market since May.Loads of people messing us about.We even had one old lady say she was gong to but it and then came round and told us her son had talked her out of it as we have a big garden and it would be too much for them.
Its been really difficult.We had our first offer last week but oh no not to get excited about.£15,000 under the already reduced asking price.They cannot afford to put in anymore as they are at their budget now.To be honest I do not know why they bothered looking in the first place.
We validated back in August so we do not need to worry about that thank goodness.
We are going to leave ours on the market over Christmas but we will have to try and forget about it and try and chill.Easier said than done.
Good Luck with all .Enjoy your Christmas.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:39 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I do not know why they bothered looking in the first place.

i agree with you there why do they bother looking when they know they cant afford it???????

good luck with your sale

jan xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.