sausages

Old Nov 6th 2005, 9:34 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of
Default sausages

Well now I have found a local source for marmite the next thing on the list was 'real sausages'. Since we are from Lincolnshire (the home of one of the best UK sausages) I have found this a real challenge.
So not being one to be beaten..... I bought a 'mincer' with a sausage tube yesterday for a bargain price of $34.
Searched the web... for the recipe and have now managed to make my own 'Lincolnshire Sausages'.
"Save on" were great - when I asked if they sold 'sausage skins' and explained how I missed 'Lincolnshire Sausages' they gave me 60ft of 'hog skin' for free.... and 3lb of pork fat for free (far more than I needed but the rest is in the freezer for the next load).

For any-one that wants to try this here is the recipe I used:

1.5kg Pork (I used belly pork but guess it is personal choice)
170g of bread crumbs soaked in half a bottle of Guinness (should be water but hey!)
A good portion of fat (a butcher in Lincolnshire once told me that fat is the secret to good sausages - again personal taste)
The recipe suggests half fat half lean pork but I go lighter on the fat)
1/4 cup salt
A guess of black pepper - good dollop in the palm of my hand
5g sage - we used 1g fresh and 4g dried (my sage plant couldn't provide all 5g yet but when it has grown I will use fresh only)

I minced the pork and the fat
Soaked the bread crumbs in Guinness and mixed in the salt pepper and herbs then mixed it all together. I then left it two hours and fried a bit off to taste - check herb and salt levels.
I then left it in the fridge overnight for the flavours to blend and fried a small part off to taste again. It was fine so I then put it back through the mincer with the sausage tube on and made 25 good big sausages.

My wife and I find it hard to keep a straight face as she holds the sausage and smooths it out in the skin as I grind the meat .

Dont forget after making the sausage you have to use up the remaining bottles of Guinness - it wont keep till next time

See photo attached for final results.
Attached Thumbnails sausages-dscn1745.jpg  
Old Nov 6th 2005, 10:10 pm
..and Family

Cadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: sausages

Excellent!

Try adding baked beans and chopped tomatoes to the mix next time for that propper breakfast fry-up, or Black pudding (if you can get it) and enjoy with Heinz ketchup or English mustard.

Then set yourself up a sideline business!
Old Nov 6th 2005, 10:18 pm

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

To date I havn't yet found any baked beans to match Heinz - not even the Heinz ones here. In fact I havnt found any I like - they ae too sweet or messed about.

Later this week I will be having a good old English grill with bacon, sausage, tomatoes and eggs. I have a recipie for black pudding but I think I saw some in the "Canadian Superstore". I would need a lot bigger sausage tube than I could fit on my small machine to make proper black pudding.

Originally Posted by Cadey
Excellent!

Try adding baked beans and chopped tomatoes to the mix next time for that propper breakfast fry-up, or Black pudding (if you can get it) and enjoy with Heinz ketchup or English mustard.

Then set yourself up a sideline business!
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:08 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Airseir
Well now I have found a local source for marmite the next thing on the list was 'real sausages'. Since we are from Lincolnshire (the home of one of the best UK sausages) I have found this a real challenge.
So not being one to be beaten..... I bought a 'mincer' with a sausage tube yesterday for a bargain price of $34.
Searched the web... for the recipe and have now managed to make my own 'Lincolnshire Sausages'.
"Save on" were great - when I asked if they sold 'sausage skins' and explained how I missed 'Lincolnshire Sausages' they gave me 60ft of 'hog skin' for free.... and 3lb of pork fat for free (far more than I needed but the rest is in the freezer for the next load).

For any-one that wants to try this here is the recipe I used:

1.5kg Pork (I used belly pork but guess it is personal choice)
170g of bread crumbs soaked in half a bottle of Guinness (should be water but hey!)
A good portion of fat (a butcher in Lincolnshire once told me that fat is the secret to good sausages - again personal taste)
The recipe suggests half fat half lean pork but I go lighter on the fat)
1/4 cup salt
A guess of black pepper - good dollop in the palm of my hand
5g sage - we used 1g fresh and 4g dried (my sage plant couldn't provide all 5g yet but when it has grown I will use fresh only)

I minced the pork and the fat
Soaked the bread crumbs in Guinness and mixed in the salt pepper and herbs then mixed it all together. I then left it two hours and fried a bit off to taste - check herb and salt levels.
I then left it in the fridge overnight for the flavours to blend and fried a small part off to taste again. It was fine so I then put it back through the mincer with the sausage tube on and made 25 good big sausages.

My wife and I find it hard to keep a straight face as she holds the sausage and smooths it out in the skin as I grind the meat .

Dont forget after making the sausage you have to use up the remaining bottles of Guinness - it wont keep till next time

I agree that Proper Lincolnshire sausages are the best in Britain, i also just noticed you have recently passed your driving test, Congratulations
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:18 pm

Thanks. Feels great to have the driving bit behind me.

I always felt that they were the best but there are a lot that prefer the Cumberland Sausage. Now dont get me wrong here I think the Cunberland sausage is terrific but for me the Lincolnshire is the best.

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
I agree that Proper Lincolnshire sausages are the best in Britain, i also just noticed you have recently passed your driving test, Congratulations
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:30 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Later this week I will be having a good old English grill with bacon, sausage, tomatoes and eggs. I have a recipie for black pudding but I think I saw some in the "Canadian Superstore". I would need a lot bigger sausage tube than I could fit on my small machine to make proper black pudding.
If you ever fancy the lazy mode of sausage consumption, Illichmans (sp?) make some mean tasting types of sausage.

Hey save a few of those porkers eh ? > Will swap for Okanagan beer

Rich.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 12:37 am

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anybody know if you can get Black Pudding in Calgary?
Old Nov 7th 2005, 2:03 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewCalgarian
Does anybody know if you can get Black Pudding in Calgary?
A Google search brings up this Alberta government web site that lists suppliers of meat products, including a Calgary business that is purported to sell black pudding. The company in question is:

MacEwans Meats
17, 9620 Elbow Dr. SW
Calgary AB T2V 1M2
Tel: 403-228-9999
Fax: 403-228-9999
President: John Hopkins
Product(s): Scotch Meat Pies, Bridies, Black Pudding, Haggis, Slice Sausage, Meat Products (Beef, Pork, Poultry), Ayrshire Bacon, English Bacon
Brand(s): MacEwans

I have no personal experience of the place.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 11:18 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Setting aside my veggies ways for the moment... those are beautiful looking bangers!
Old Nov 7th 2005, 1:35 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent!
What is Hog Skin? And did you do the childish thing and ask for 4 of them? I would of done
Old Nov 7th 2005, 2:44 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleech
What is Hog Skin?
Pigs' intestines. Well that's what sausage casings used to be, although they increasingly have been replaced by synthetic casings.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 2:46 pm
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

You should set up a website where us brits can order your lovelly sausages online and you can send them to us, ha ha.

On the beans front I agree, we have to go to an english shop in the mall in calgary to get proper beans and they cost a fortune.

Also I would like to mention Stuffing! Ooh er misses, that Stove top stuff couldn't be farther from being Paxo sage and onion could it? And gravy too, the gravy here is pants, have to buy bisto from the english store as well.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 2:47 pm
..and Family

Cadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the rough

whilst shopping in Asda today, I purchased some skinless sausages...
I cooked 4 for Sarah my wife,

My wife prefers 4 skinless sausages.....
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:25 pm

Stuffing is easy - it is breadcrubs with sage and onion to taste.
chop up your onions and sage and mix in with the breadcrumbs then add water. But yes I agree the stuffing you buy here does not even seem to be the same thing at all.

Gravy - well that seems ok but we use Marmite in our gravy so now we have found that we are ok.

Originally Posted by joeboy_UK
You should set up a website where us brits can order your lovelly sausages online and you can send them to us, ha ha.

On the beans front I agree, we have to go to an english shop in the mall in calgary to get proper beans and they cost a fortune.

Also I would like to mention Stuffing! Ooh er misses, that Stove top stuff couldn't be farther from being Paxo sage and onion could it? And gravy too, the gravy here is pants, have to buy bisto from the english store as well.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:27 pm

Sounds like a fair trade - I will save save some.

Originally Posted by Rich_007
If you ever fancy the lazy mode of sausage consumption, Illichmans (sp?) make some mean tasting types of sausage.

Hey save a few of those porkers eh ? > Will swap for Okanagan beer

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.