Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Expatmum.com chatboard closed - why?

Expatmum.com chatboard closed - why?

Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:13 am
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold
Default Expatmum.com chatboard closed - why?

Had a query from an associate about the expatmum forums:
did you notice that expatmum.com have closed their chatboard "for review"? There have been a few minor catfights on there recently, which were quickly deleted by the moderators, but nothing offensive (as far as I know). This is a particularly useful site for families moving to the UAE and a major support for all the "desperate housewives" out there.
I have no clue why it would be shut, it's not somewhere I visit.

Anyone here got the dirt?
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:20 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expatmum.com closed - why?

Originally Posted by secretdubai

There are always catfights in that site. but that was the only fun part of that site.

This is Bad news
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:29 am
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by secretdubai

Hi SD,
Yes, yesterday was a sad, sad day for all the Jumeriah Janes of Dubai, me included. I think Jane just got fed up with all the bickering and back-biting going on between some of the "ladies." Unfortunately, that's ruined it for the rest of us who really found it a useful tool for learning about the city and making friends. The notice on the former site of the chatboard says it will reopen, eventually, in the original form of a helpful chatboard instead of Dubai's version of WWF Raw!

Guess I'll be spending a lot more time here, again, from now on!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:29 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasaNova
There are always catfights in that site. but that was the only fun part of that site.

This is Bad news
GGGrrrrr why did they shut it down!!!!! Needed to check something on there

The moderators tend to be a bit way too strict in there. There were no hot topics as far as I can remember

Not fair
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:04 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malteser
GGGrrrrr why did they shut it down!!!!! Needed to check something on there

The moderators tend to be a bit way too strict in there. There were no hot topics as far as I can remember

Not fair

I cant honestly say that I have seen a great deal of bitchiness ( maybe I missed it ) but the chatboards were used for arranging meet ups and this is what annoyed some ppl and also disclosing personal info....
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:32 am
Just Incredible

karenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant future
Question Re: Expatmum.com closed - why?

Just logged on to expatmum and astounded that it closed. There have been some sensitive threads on there before but never bad enough to close down the site. I didn't log on yesterday and can't believe in 24 hours this has happened. Obviously something was going on that I completely missed. I didn't see any threads that were leading to this sort of action. I had a day trip to Dubai yesterday and came back to find everything had gone.

What a shame. It is a great place to find out so much valuable information. Would be a pity if it wasn't up and running again soon.

If anyone knows why this has happened then please tell us.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:18 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenb2
What a shame. It is a great place to find out so much valuable information. Would be a pity if it wasn't up and running again soon.

You mean Valuable Misinformation? Well I can tell you that this is what it really was all about.

Yes, why do give best information when it comes to diapers, cookies, jams, nail polish, hair clips!

Besides that, I think they must change the Expatmum to Queensmum! This is how they talk in there so this created a lot of envy between these humble mums.

I feel sorry for "Beautifull Girl" she was a good member there.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:32 am
Just Incredible

karenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant future
Angry Re: Expatmum.com closed - why?

Sorry Casa Nova ,

I totally disagree.

There was a lot of good information on there for new people arriving in Dubai. I used it and obtained loads of information prior to my move. Some people were really helpful and honest. Why waste time driving around not finding what you are looking for when someone has the answer to your query.

It took a few people to spoil it. But what the hell, I thought forums were for people to express their opinions.

Some of the expat women were genuine and you cant 'tar people with the same brush'. We are not all 'Jumeirah Janes'. God forbid. Shoot me if I ever turned into one.

Obviously you never needed advice on nappies (diapers to you), cookies, jams, nail polish and hair clips.

I, for one, am looking forward to the site being up and running again.

Last edited by karenb2; Oct 17th 2005 at 9:35 am.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:44 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenb2
Sorry Casa Nova ,

I totally disagree.

There was a lot of good information on there for new people arriving in Dubai. I used it and obtained loads of information prior to my move. Some people were really helpful and honest. Why waste time driving around not finding what you are looking for when someone has the answer to your query.

It took a few people to spoil it. But what the hell, I thought forums were for people to express their opinions.

Some of the expat women were genuine and you cant 'tar people with the same brush'. We are not all 'Jumeirah Janes'. God forbid. Shoot me if I ever turned into one.

Obviously you never needed advice on nappies (diapers to you), cookies, jams, nail polish and hair clips.

I, for one, am looking forward to the site being up and running again.
Joolsbean was opening a pub in ew.com, for just general chat. But dont think the moderator too happy with just 'general chat'.

Since i joined the site beginning of last year ... i have met and made tons of new friends from that site
Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:02 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by novita77
Joolsbean was opening a pub in ew.com, for just general chat. But dont think the moderator too happy with just 'general chat'.

Since i joined the site beginning of last year ... i have met and made tons of new friends from that site

Yesss me too!!

That site has helped me so much moving out here. Not only have I made heaps of friends but have found some info VERY valuable. Also advice from other ladies helped me a great deal since Ive been here. So what if its about hair or nails or anything which is girly.

I cant wait to have it back on. Personally I never saw any bitchiness in it but there again I might be too naive. Not fair that wt the Dubai chatboard other ppl from other countries in the ME have to suffer as well
Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by novita77

Who knows.....
Old Oct 17th 2005, 4:40 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah1
Who knows.....
knows what???
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:25 pm
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

It's a real shame as it was very informative. Weird they shut it down without any warning, as already mentioned there wasn't any bad arguments going on or bitchiness .

I guess they want to keep it to a direct Q & A site for info on Dubai and no general chat.

Still they were funny about anyone arranging a day/evening out via threads and they had disabled the PM/email facility so you have no other way of communicating with another expat woman unless you knew there direct email address, the only other alternative was to put your email address within a thread, which is a bad idea as i've received loads of spam ever since! And the really other annoying thing was they would delete a thread without given any reason.

Personally I think they have been too stricked overall. Still hope they are back on line soon.

Zx
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:03 pm
semarang

Originally Posted by Zannie
It's a real shame as it was very informative. Weird they shut it down without any warning, as already mentioned there wasn't any bad arguments going on or bitchiness .

I guess they want to keep it to a direct Q & A site for info on Dubai and no general chat.

Still they were funny about anyone arranging a day/evening out via threads and they had disabled the PM/email facility so you have no other way of communicating with another expat woman unless you knew there direct email address, the only other alternative was to put your email address within a thread, which is a bad idea as i've received loads of spam ever since! And the really other annoying thing was they would delete a thread without given any reason.

Personally I think they have been too stricked overall. Still hope they are back on line soon.

Zx
Hi Zannie ... knows what u mean. When I just joined the ew.com, the chatboard not as busy as now. The Qatar site even dead ... only me and 1 or 2 ladies posting in there now and again. I did ask why they disable the PM ... they said so the ladies used the chatboard more. But when you use the chatboard more for 'general chat' they are not too happy with it *shrugged* ...

I still like that board because the topics really more 'ladies' thingy things And as I said before I have met alot of new friends since I joined the site.

And yes ... for me they are too strict. But who am I to complain ... i am now owning the site.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

I think they had an outbreak of bird flu in there.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.