Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To sell or not to sell !!

To sell or not to sell !!

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

coolboarder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To sell or not to sell !!

I want to emigrate with my family but we are really reluctant to sell our house immediately. I know some of you will say this is a negative approach to emigrating but we simply don’t want to risk struggling to get back on the uk housing ladder should it not work out in our new destination. We would know after 1 or 2 years if it was the right thing to do so would then sell or house in the uk. Is it possible to keep your own property in the uk and rent it out until a decision was made to finally settle on foreign soil. Is this process simply too complicated or can it work.

There must be many of you out there who have been in this situation. Again, I know it’s a touch negative but just having the safety net of your house back in the uk should it not work out could be the difference in actually emigrating or not.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of
Default Re: To sell or not to sell !!

Originally Posted by coolboarder
I want to emigrate with my family but we are really reluctant to sell our house immediately. I know some of you will say this is a negative approach to emigrating but we simply don’t want to risk struggling to get back on the uk housing ladder should it not work out in our new destination. We would know after 1 or 2 years if it was the right thing to do so would then sell or house in the uk. Is it possible to keep your own property in the uk and rent it out until a decision was made to finally settle on foreign soil. Is this process simply too complicated or can it work.

There must be many of you out there who have been in this situation. Again, I know it’s a touch negative but just having the safety net of your house back in the uk should it not work out could be the difference in actually emigrating or not.
Hi there, we are going to rent out our house for 2 years. we are waiting for a visa grant and are then planning to live and work for 2 years then decide if it is for us. Luckily we have the funds available to do this. It is relatively easy to rent out your property in the Uk, we have gone through a reputable agency and will pay them a percentage everry month to manage the let.
Not everyone will agree with this, but it suits, we may even (financial circumstances allowing) keep the house in the UK indefintely as an pension fund.
hope this helps
jacqui
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 9:07 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by coolboarder

I wish we had just rented our house out. No one knows whats going to happen when you get to Oz, you may feel thats it's not a permanent home for you. If you sell then it is hard to get back on the property ladder, we've been there.
Ok so you may need the money but there are ways of surviving in Oz rather than living on the proceeds of you house sale in the UK you don't have to buy a property straight away. We would have got by renting, until we knew if Oz was the place we wanted to live permanently.
We sold our house at a good time so made a bit of money, but when we came back (2004) the house prices had gone up so much it was a struggle for us to actually find somewhere we could afford.
If you can afford to go without selling then I would definitely rent your home out.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 11:44 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

hi

I rented out my house as I had to leave in a hurry, I wish that I had sold it now as I love it here and want to buy a house here, but we have tennants in till February and have to wait till then.

I also dont know how we will pay our UK mortgage till it sells, or what the housing market will be like in February, its very hard to manage from over here and we are using agaents to manage it....its a worry that I really just dont need to have while here.

Good luck
Laura
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

playbunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really nice

We took a while to decide also if it was best to rent our house out but in the end we realised that we would need alot of money to finace the move so luckily we solld and are now in a postion where we can buy somewhere if we want although it looks like we will carry on renting for a while at least the money would be there when we deicide where we want to be long term.

I would say sell if you can that way you have the freedom if you really love Oz to buy here and stay long term even if in the worst case you don't settle in Oz and go back to UK with prices falling it may well go in your favour.

Good luck
Old Sep 24th 2005, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

Its your choice at the end of the day. But boy do i wish i had kept my house. Been hubbys and mine, long time ambition to emigrate to Australia.
Finally here, all be it only been here 4 months for me (hubby longer).
Beautiful country, lovely people, just not right for me.
When people say 'well if we aren't happy, we shall just come back!"
famous last words!!!!!!
If you are anything like me, and i know alot of people are. You would have spent alot of money in the whole process. If we were to go back now i would say accounting for everything we are about 70 grand out of pocket.
No way could we afford anything like the house we had back in the uk.
I know people say it's only bricks and mortar, but when you have spent 20 years of hard work to reach that point, it's a bit hard to swallow.
I feel i've let my two girls down 8 & 10.
Think about your decision carefully, because i have been a real fool!!!
Old Sep 24th 2005, 8:53 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I think that it's far easier to manage (or get someone to manage) your property from Oz and sell from Oz than it is to start all over again buying a property in the UK if you decide to come back, especially todays market.

It may be inconvenient and a hassle to try and sell from a different country but financially better off to rent it out and decide later if you want to live permanently in Oz or not. Just my opinion
Old Sep 24th 2005, 8:57 am
home again, home again

Originally Posted by Desire
Its your choice at the end of the day. But boy do i wish i had kept my house. Been hubbys and mine, long time ambition to emigrate to Australia.
Finally here, all be it only been here 4 months for me (hubby longer).
Beautiful country, lovely people, just not right for me.
When people say 'well if we aren't happy, we shall just come back!"
famous last words!!!!!!
If you are anything like me, and i know alot of people are. You would have spent alot of money in the whole process. If we were to go back now i would say accounting for everything we are about 70 grand out of pocket.
No way could we afford anything like the house we had back in the uk.
I know people say it's only bricks and mortar, but when you have spent 20 years of hard work to reach that point, it's a bit hard to swallow.
I feel i've let my two girls down 8 & 10.
Think about your decision carefully, because i have been a real fool!!!
We were in exactly the same position as you, sold up everything. We spent over 25,000 going to OZ and returning. Luckily we still has 'some' equity' left but not much.
We've had to take out a 25 year mortgage (only had 12 years left before we went to OZ) and we are paying over 200 pounds per month more than we were before we went to Oz.
We have a nice house now but it took six months of living with my parents and a lot of persuading the Halifax to let us have a larger mortgage. Hubby was working for the agency Manpower on our return and they wrote him a letter to say he was in permanent employment with them, otherwise we would have had to wait far longer.
It's all turned out for the better now, better jobs etc and larger house but if I could turn back the clock I would definitely have rented our house out.