Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Debt - Leaving it behind - Curiosity Question ?? :-)

UK Debt - Leaving it behind - Curiosity Question ?? :-)

Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:10 am
Just Joined

dazby is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile UK Debt - Leaving it behind - Curiosity Question ?? :-)

Hi there ....

Just a little curious ... my partner has the usual UK debts ... credit cards/loans etc etc and is thingking of just 'leaving' them behind when we move to Oz in December .... we have no intention of moving back to the UK in the forseeable future ... if ever ... we have a friend who moved to Oz over two years ago and left behind over 80k's worth of debt and he aint heard a thing since.

Just curious to know other folks opinions

cheers x
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:19 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK Debt - Leaving it behind - Curiosity Question ?? :-)

They will trace you and then you will get what you deserve : you will be kicked out of Australia and made to pay your debts in England.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:19 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

this has come up quite a few times recently

Do the decent thing and pay the debts off - not only could you end up having to come back to the UK for some reason but do you really want to be looking over your shoulder forever wondering whether you'll get chased up for them?

Not to mention that honest people have to pay a premium to cover people who do a runner and dont pay....

I wonder if this is really the mentality of people Australia are hoping to attract to their shores?
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Alan & Sonia has a spectacular aura aboutAlan & Sonia has a spectacular aura aboutAlan & Sonia has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dazby
Hi there ....

Just a little curious ... my partner has the usual UK debts ... credit cards/loans etc etc and is thingking of just 'leaving' them behind when we move to Oz in December .... we have no intention of moving back to the UK in the forseeable future ... if ever ... we have a friend who moved to Oz over two years ago and left behind over 80k's worth of debt and he aint heard a thing since.

cheers x
JUST PAY THEM!!!!

YOU BORROWED...YOU OWE!!!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there ....

cheers x
Here we go again.
Pay up. If you don't it's stealing, which is wrong.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:26 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there ....

cheers x
I know your only asking a question but this is something which has come up a lot on here lately and feelings tend to run a bit high on the subject, basically like someone else said - you borrowed the money - you spent the money so why the hell should you just walk away from the responsibility of paying it back? It`s the same as theft in my book (sorry to sound harsh but this subject is emotive)
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Here we go again.
Pay up. If you don't it's stealing, which is wrong.
Very true...
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Alan & Sonia has a spectacular aura aboutAlan & Sonia has a spectacular aura aboutAlan & Sonia has a spectacular aura about

Hi there ....

cheers x
Do it once and you will do it again....but where will you "run to" next time???
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Hey guys .... calm down .... I was only asking a curiosity question ... not asking for answers on morality .... personally I've never NOT paid my debts ... but I would certainly hold my hand up to 'at times' to not leading a moralistic lifestyle .... hence I would never preach to others ... I was just curious to know if UK debts can be traced once anindividual no longer lives in the UK .... thats all
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:41 am

Hey guys .... calm down .... I was only asking a curiosity question ... not asking for answers on morality .... personally I've never NOT paid my debts ... but I would certainly hold my hand up to 'at times' to not leading a moralistic lifestyle .... hence I would never preach to others ... I was just curious to know if UK debts can be traced once anindividual no longer lives in the UK .... thats all

it's just that why would you want to know that if you didnt want to do a runner?
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there ....

cheers x

Hiya we have the same usual debts but we are trying to clear them now and fully intend to pay them before we leave. I would hate to leave them and then heaven forbid anything happened in oz that we had to come back. We are still quite young 24 & 25 and we have a little boy. In our case i dont think it is realistic to think that when we get to oz that we will be there forever and you never know whats round the corner then if we had to come back we would never get a mortgage etc again and with us having a wee one we really have to make things stable for him if we returned.

I know a lot of people on here have different views on this and there has been a few threads about it if you have a search im sure a few will pop up.

Cheers
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I think you would probably get away with it. Not 100% sure though.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bridiej
it's just that why would you want to know that if you didnt want to do a runner?
lol .... we all have 'curiosity' questions in life ... but don't mean to say we wanna follow them thru ... i'd love to know if we are the only guys in the universe .... but dont mean to say I wanna pop in my spaceship to find out .... does HRH really wipe her own bum ? ... but dont wanna hang about her dung hole in Buck Palace to find out .... lol
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:50 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

It`s not a case of preaching morals - you either have them or you don`t, however it pees people off when they are trying to get all their debts cleared in order to start with a clean slate in Oz and people talk about walking away without repaying debts. I know it seems like we are having a go at you but like I said this subject can wind people up (myself included)
Old Aug 17th 2005, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how DIMIA would view this? Seems a shame to get a visa granted on the premise of being 'honest, trustworthy and with NO criminal record' when folk are curious about leaving their debts behind - which is theft.

Easy enough to trace people via the web these days, what with IP numbers and all that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.