Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Old Aug 16th 2005, 12:16 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Originally Posted by Centurion
Was watching the news in the Gym this morning and interestingly there was a piece in response to the latest figures released today by a couple of the chartered institutes (I dont listen to what banks say.. ).

They advised that a house price crash was now very unlikely indeed and house sales are up. The number of properties being sold is increasing and although less than last year it was generally recognised as a boom year anyway. The outlook was good.

House prices are in general on the increase still and this is expected to remain the trend for the rest of the year but at a rate of some 2-5% per annum.

Thought I would at least share that little bit of optimism with the people selling houses (myself included). Despite the fact that a few people on the forum would love to see a price crash or have been predicting one it does not seem to be happening.

August is always a crap time of year to try and sell but no doubt everyone here will at some point

I just saw that on Sky News, and interestingly one of my surveyor clients has been on the phone as he's inundated with Homebuyer reports to type up!
Old Sep 4th 2005, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Hughesjohn is on a distinguished road

We are desperate sellers now. No sensible offers since our last price reduction and virtually no viewings. We are multiple vendor and now have three boards outside our home.

We heard an advert on radio a little while ago, which said that a company would buy your home and then rent it back to you. We thought that we could use this route to sell our home but the company offered us £200k for the property!!!

I suspect that our dream of a new life in Australia is now just that - a dream.

Has anyone had any luck selling their houses? What the hell has happened to the property boom?
Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Paula
we were also told to put our price down-we went on the market in May.
We decided to go dual agent as soon as we could and two days ago got the offer we were looking for, just a tiny bit under the asking.
I think the agent is really important, as is hanging in there for the right person. Our offer came after a second viewing and one thing that helped us clinch it was showing them the bank valuation from our remortgage. We also had an earlier (very cheeky offer) which we were tempted with but it was too low. We stuck to our guns and gut felelings.
Lots of karma and just dont give in, we were in total despair until 2 days ago!

Originally Posted by cantwait
Hi everyone.

We really need some good luck Karma for Sunday, we've got a couple coming round for a second viewing, they came last Saturday and the agent rang yesterday to say they want to come back at the weekend he also said they looked at quite a lot of properties but said they liked our's the best, i cant help but get exited.

We put the house for sale 1st March, and the agent said at the time it should sell very quickly, good area, and we've got a really large plot, but over 4mths later and we are still hear, (with the visa in our hands waiting.)

Can't really bear the thought of the kids going back to school in September, my son said all the kids at school have been saying "are you not going to Australia now".

So last week we decided to drop the price not something we wanted to do but we thought it might help or save us a trip out to validate the visa at the end of the year, since we dropped it £18,000 we've had more viewing's.

The estate agent said nothing's really selling at the moment only the bargain's, last month a couple made an offer £45,000 grand under the asking price we told them were to stick the offer.

Any one else in the same boat??

Paula.
Warrington, Cheshire. Brisbane soooooon please.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Our house has been up since mid march.....we have had 1 viewer....we have changed agents and even dropped it 5 grand....no joy.......we have been looking into buying a business in Florida as thats were my parents live......we can't buy a business till we sell our house.......nightmare....I know how desperate you feel
Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

gertrude is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my house on the market for 6 months (since nov) and hardly a sniff. In June I bit the bullet. I knocked off 15% from last years' prices ( based on the sale of an identical property last year in June). Within a week I had an offer and completed 2 weeks ago. At the time it made me sick to my stomach. My neighbour had made £000s more than me was my initial thought. Fairly juvenile I know, but that was the sentiment which had made me obstinately stick to my original price. But I bought in '99 and walked away with a very significant lump sum tax free. Despite selling the house for more than twice I bought it for I still, even now, occasionally regret the reduction. Which shames me given the amount of unearned tax free money I have accrued.

I'm not going abroad, but I've gone into rented accommodation. I don't know any of your personal circumstances (apart from what I have read on these boards) and it may be a 15% reduction on last years prices is not feasible, either because of anticipated costs on moving abroad, or perhaps too much mewing or debt, or perhaps you only recently bought. But to those of you who can afford it I recommend you trying it.

Good luck.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Ours is just on the market. We've only had 2 viewers who when we chased the agent for feedback, was told they loved it ............

but no offer! ...

A board outside has just gone up, and it goes in the local paper next week, can only hope I guess!

I think I'm right in saying tho, that a 2nd viewing is REAL positive! ...

Lets hope it leads to an offer! ........ (a decent one too!)
Old Sep 4th 2005, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

bobthebuilder is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember you do only need one buyer

But it seems to me that while some property is selling, there is a real glut of property on the market and if we are honest with ourselves it is overpriced. The people on TV who say different always seem to be estate agents. But normal people who are supposed to buy these houses aren't earning the silly money required.

A house at 200K - who can really afford that money on a normal wage? So why the surprise when nobody makes an offer? We need to get real and offer real value for money. Then you will sell and ghet on with the rest of your life instead of wasting it away day by day through greed.

As a builder I know the value of land and I know the cost of putting a house on it.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 7:44 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gertrude
I had my house on the market for 6 months (since nov) and hardly a sniff. In June I bit the bullet. I knocked off 15% from last years' prices ( based on the sale of an identical property last year in June). Within a week I had an offer and completed 2 weeks ago. At the time it made me sick to my stomach. My neighbour had made £000s more than me was my initial thought. Fairly juvenile I know, but that was the sentiment which had made me obstinately stick to my original price. But I bought in '99 and walked away with a very significant lump sum tax free. Despite selling the house for more than twice I bought it for I still, even now, occasionally regret the reduction. Which shames me given the amount of unearned tax free money I have accrued.

I'm not going abroad, but I've gone into rented accommodation. I don't know any of your personal circumstances (apart from what I have read on these boards) and it may be a 15% reduction on last years prices is not feasible, either because of anticipated costs on moving abroad, or perhaps too much mewing or debt, or perhaps you only recently bought. But to those of you who can afford it I recommend you trying it.

Good luck.
If your not going abroad what are you doing on this forum???

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=396
Old Sep 4th 2005, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

We just sold our house in West London - we got an offer of 20% below our asking price which we accepted as I think things are going to get worse - we didnt want to be sitting there 12 months down the line going "if only we'd taken the one offer we actually got......."

Still we made a big profit on the house from when we bought it in 1996 for just living in it - so how can we complain. Some hard pressed housebuyer in the UK will be paying for our good start in Oz for the next 25 years.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

Update.

Still on the market, £25,000 reduction on price and still desperate to get to Brisbane.

We thought we had sold it last month but just bloody time waster's that messed us about for 3wks, so it's still for sale and we are keeping everything crossed that now the school's have gone back the housing market picks up, or else its a validation trip (a very sad thought indead).

A very fed up of waiting for a buyer to come along Paula.....
Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:18 am
Badge

Originally Posted by hawk2005
We just sold our house in West London - we got an offer of 20% below our asking price which we accepted as I think things are going to get worse - we didnt want to be sitting there 12 months down the line going "if only we'd taken the one offer we actually got......."

Still we made a big profit on the house from when we bought it in 1996 for just living in it - so how can we complain. Some hard pressed housebuyer in the UK will be paying for our good start in Oz for the next 25 years.
very sensible.

Badge

Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

mish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of light
Post Re: Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Originally Posted by cantwait
Update.

Still on the market, £25,000 reduction on price and still desperate to get to Brisbane.

We thought we had sold it last month but just bloody time waster's that messed us about for 3wks, so it's still for sale and we are keeping everything crossed that now the school's have gone back the housing market picks up, or else its a validation trip (a very sad thought indead).

A very fed up of waiting for a buyer to come along Paula.....
We know exactly how you feel!
Our house has been on the market since May and although we've had quite a few viewers - i'm sure a lot of them just come for a nosey!! Some who haven't even put theirs on the market yet!!

But recently we have had some very positive viewings, although no offers!!! They always say how much they love the house, but i think it's the small 3rd bedroom that puts many off!!!

My other half is off to validate his visa tomorrow, very depressing as we were sure the market was in a better state than it actually is - but on the other hand, the pressure is off now! Just playing the waiting game once again - we'll win it one day!!! fingers crossed!!

Good Luck to everyone
Michelle x x x
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:58 am
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

Hi all,

Just wanted to commiserate with everyone else. After going on the market at the beginning of June and having one viewing we were very despondant. We came off the market for 3 weeks over August and have at the end of last week gone back on the market with a different estate agent for £5K less than we were on before with agent knowing we are willing to accept offers.

Luckily two of our neighbours who were also selling have come off the market altogether and another house on our road sold over August (we are regretting coming off the market as we missed that boat!!) and I've seen a number of sold signs going up around here in the last few weeks. We've still not had any other viewers but have only been on for a few days and we are feeling a tad more optimistic with teh number of sold signs.

Michelle
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

Originally Posted by michellemac
Hi all,

Just wanted to commiserate with everyone else. After going on the market at the beginning of June and having one viewing we were very despondant. We came off the market for 3 weeks over August and have at the end of last week gone back on the market with a different estate agent for £5K less than we were on before with agent knowing we are willing to accept offers.

Luckily two of our neighbours who were also selling have come off the market altogether and another house on our road sold over August (we are regretting coming off the market as we missed that boat!!) and I've seen a number of sold signs going up around here in the last few weeks. We've still not had any other viewers but have only been on for a few days and we are feeling a tad more optimistic with teh number of sold signs.

Michelle
It's so hard just waiting for a buyer to come along, let's hope September is a good month for us all.

paula.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Well I've only been on the market a week, had 2 viewing by this morning and phoned my agent when I got up today. He said he couldn't argue that the market IS flat, but on the upside he said the 1st time buyers were back in force since beginning of September. He reckons he's sold as many houses in Sept already as he did for the whole of August! ...

1st time buyers kick it all off and hopefully it follows through!

I was looking out of my lounge window earlier and see a 4x4 slow down and take the phone number from the board outside. Within 10 mins the phone rang and it was the agent who wanted to know if someone could come and view at 5.30!

NO PROBLEM!! ...lol, and the viewing went VERY well! Our house seems to offer everything this buyer is after inc a large drive for his 25 foot caravan! ...

They left and we're now hoping the phone will be ringing first thing tomorrow!

I know it's not good to, but we can't help feel optimistic as they really did seem keen. The house 2 doors along was on the market 6 months ago and these ppl viewed that, but the bedrooms wasn't big enough.

We'll see tho! ...... third time lucky!? ........ fingers crossed!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.