Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

And the fridge won !!!

And the fridge won !!!

Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:21 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default And the fridge won !!!

Have you missed me ??? or not even noticed I’ve been gone ?

Haven’t been posting here for a couple of weeks, due to a number of reasons, main one being, we’ve moved house, therefore had to get internet reconnected (took 10 days) plus I had a wee accident !!!!!

Back to the beginning of the story ……….

In November, hubby and I decided it was time to get on the Perth Property Ladder, so put our South African house up for sale. Three days later we had a buyer – wooohooo – and then the bureaucracy starts…. And continues and continues and continues and continues !

At the end of January we see a house we like and based on the comforting noises our guy in S.Af (the one who has our Power of Attorney) is making we put an offer in, with a settlement date of 6 weeks.

6 weeks later, we request an extension from the vendors with a $2000 penalty clause !

4 weeks after that we request another extension with an unlimited penalty clause

Three weeks ago (after much screaming shouting begging and sobbing) the money finally is released from S.Af, and bingo, we have a house in Australia.

Then the fun starts…….

Hubby and I decide that because we got rid of most of our “junk� when we moved down from Germany last year, and have gone “minimal�, we can easily do the move ourselves – hahaha

So 2 weekends ago we start packing up the rented house. On the Saturday everything goes swimmingly and we move a lorry load of our possessions 12 kms up the road. Sunday comes and we load up the lorry for the 2nd trip. Again everything goes swimmingly. Get to the other end and start unloading. Again everything is going swimmingly, until we get to the fridge !!!!!!!

Hubby was inside the truck and I was outside waiting to help him lift the fridge down. All was going really well until the fridge started to slip. I tried to catch it. The fridge didn’t want to be caught. We had a little fight the fridge and me ! THE FRIDGE WON ! I fell over and the fridge fell on top of me !!!! A real slam-dunk !

I now have a broken left wrist and a torn left knee – aaaaaah !!!! (The wrist is in plaster for 8 weeks and the knee is bandaged for 3 weeks.) Sympathy please

Fortunately drugs and alcohol are ensuring a speedy recovery

Some important good news is ….. the fridge is OK and working fine :-) It only has one very small scratch on it - Very important cos it was the beer fridge hahaha.

The other good news is that as a result I got a new car, cos my old one was manual gearbox and I couldnt drive it so hubby said I could get an automatic, so I now have a lovely new car - wooohooo.

The bad news is I have to go back to work on Monday

So some important lessons learnt …… Always get the professional removal folk in, (unless you want 2 weeks off work plus a new car )

Australian medicare is fabulous. Been to 2 GPs, 2 Hospitals and 2 medical imaging departments and the service and level of care has been superb. Plus I only have to pay $75 for the first GP consultation, and even then 75% is paid back by medicare. So the whole event will cost me about $20 !!!!! The rest is “free� In Germany I (or rather my medical insurance company who used to make me pay through the nose) would be looking at a bill of thousands of Euros

Have to say a huge thank you to all the fabby Perth people (Brian, John, Gillian, You know who you are) plus the fabulous Jill, Maggy and Teresa who waited an extra 1 ½ hours (on top of the preplanned 1 hour delay) for me to get my butt out of hospital and meet them for coffee. You guys are great. Never had friends like these before and I love you all !

Last edited by Vegemite Kids; Jun 9th 2005 at 1:24 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And the fridge won !!!

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids It only has one very small scratch on it - Very important cos it was the beer fridge hahahafont
Good to see you got your priorities right Its like the guys who fall down stairs holding a pint of beer, and spill none.

Well done, as long as the beer fridge is ok, you'll be right

JTL
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Have you missed me ??? or not even noticed I’ve been gone ?

Haven’t been posting here for a couple of weeks, due to a number of reasons, main one being, we’ve moved house, therefore had to get internet reconnected (took 10 days) plus I had a wee accident !!!!!

Back to the beginning of the story ……….

In November, hubby and I decided it was time to get on the Perth Property Ladder, so put our South African house up for sale. Three days later we had a buyer – wooohooo – and then the bureaucracy starts…. And continues and continues and continues and continues !

At the end of January we see a house we like and based on the comforting noises our guy in S.Af (the one who has our Power of Attorney) is making we put an offer in, with a settlement date of 6 weeks.

6 weeks later, we request an extension from the vendors with a $2000 penalty clause !

4 weeks after that we request another extension with an unlimited penalty clause

Three weeks ago (after much screaming shouting begging and sobbing) the money finally is released from S.Af, and bingo, we have a house in Australia.

Then the fun starts…….

Hubby and I decide that because we got rid of most of our “junk� when we moved down from Germany last year, and have gone “minimal�, we can easily do the move ourselves – hahaha

So 2 weekends ago we start packing up the rented house. On the Saturday everything goes swimmingly and we move a lorry load of our possessions 12 kms up the road. Sunday comes and we load up the lorry for the 2nd trip. Again everything goes swimmingly. Get to the other end and start unloading. Again everything is going swimmingly, until we get to the fridge !!!!!!!

Hubby was inside the truck and I was outside waiting to help him lift the fridge down. All was going really well until the fridge started to slip. I tried to catch it. The fridge didn’t want to be caught. We had a little fight the fridge and me ! THE FRIDGE WON ! I fell over and the fridge fell on top of me !!!! A real slam-dunk !

I now have a broken left wrist and a torn left knee – aaaaaah !!!! (The wrist is in plaster for 8 weeks and the knee is bandaged for 3 weeks.) Sympathy please

Fortunately drugs and alcohol are ensuring a speedy recovery

Some important good news is ….. the fridge is OK and working fine :-) It only has one very small scratch on it - Very important cos it was the beer fridge hahaha.

The other good news is that as a result I got a new car, cos my old one was manual gearbox and I couldnt drive it so hubby said I could get an automatic, so I now have a lovely new car - wooohooo.

The bad news is I have to go back to work on Monday

So some important lessons learnt …… Always get the professional removal folk in, (unless you want 2 weeks off work plus a new car )

Australian medicare is fabulous. Been to 2 GPs, 2 Hospitals and 2 medical imaging departments and the service and level of care has been superb. Plus I only have to pay $75 for the first GP consultation, and even then 75% is paid back by medicare. So the whole event will cost me about $20 !!!!! The rest is “free� In Germany I (or rather my medical insurance company who used to make me pay through the nose) would be looking at a bill of thousands of Euros

Have to say a huge thank you to all the fabby Perth people (Brian, John, Gillian, You know who you are) plus the fabulous Jill, Maggy and Teresa who waited an extra 1 ½ hours (on top of the preplanned 1 hour delay) for me to get my butt out of hospital and meet them for coffee. You guys are great. Never had friends like these before and I love you all !

You made it back online hun yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

You make sure you make a speedy recovery for the 25th.

Dont worry I will hold your drink for you just make sure its not wine.

You all know it disnae agree wi me lol.

Hugs

Mags
xxxx

PS. Thanks for the hospitality today and we love the lemons just waiting on the home made wine now.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:59 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Aaaaah, wondered where you'd been!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:00 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

so sorry but have to admit i , a lot. all credit to you though, you paint an excelent picture word wise.

hope you mend fast and all goes smoothly from here.

Louise
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:02 pm
Floribean in wait

oshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the rough

Well at least your husband couldn't stay you didn't try to catch it!! Well done lady!! Put's the men to shame!! Congrat's on getting the new car although I'm not sure a broken wrist is a fair swap!!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

oooo whooops forgot the sympathy bit.

That must of hurt, good to have you back.

Good to hear the fridge is ok.

JTL

(is that ok now?)
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:12 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Vegemite I had a wee accident [/QUOTE]
Oops....
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:25 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
oooo whooops forgot the sympathy bit.

That must of hurt, good to have you back.

Good to hear the fridge is ok.

JTL

(is that ok now?)
S'perfect Jack !!! Bless you - Knew you would be concerned about the fridge, tis why I put that para in
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:33 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Originally Posted by oshel
Congrat's on getting the new car although I'm not sure a broken wrist is a fair swap!!

Ooooh it is it is it is !!! new car is a Subaru Liberty wagon - def worth a broken wrist for !!!!

Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:54 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still bummed I work full time and so didn't get to see the new house (AND GARDEN! You haven't told 'them' about the garden!!)
Will definetly have to come visit soon!

Oooh, very nice car. What a difference with the last one!

Ohhh, you might want to take the photo down though, some people might think your're bragging.... (or is that only with certain brands..)
Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:02 pm
Floribean in wait

oshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Ooooh it is it is it is !!! new car is a Subaru Liberty wagon - def worth a broken wrist for !!!!

Well.. it does like look a very cool car - I might have to reconsider the wrist breaking thing!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:03 pm
Floribean in wait

Originally Posted by Simone
I'm still bummed I work full time and so didn't get to see the new house (AND GARDEN! You haven't told 'them' about the garden!!)

Ohhh, you might want to take the photo down though, some people might think your're bragging.... (or is that only with certain brands..)
Sorry to hijack the thread! The certain person you're mentioning without naming names! How is she? did she get her pool sorted out with the mudslide?
Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:07 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oshel
Sorry to hijack the thread! The certain person you're mentioning without naming names! How is she? did she get her pool sorted out with the mudslide?
Yep, haven't heard anything more, seemed ok when I saw it two weeks ago, though that hole was dangerously close to the house!!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:10 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Originally Posted by Simone

Teehee it is isnt it. S'OK dont care what people say. I've paid for that car with a broken wrist and a knackered knee, plus twas hubby's decision not mine. I was just going to get an automatic version of the old car but hubby decided I should get the subaru. Could this be guilt on his part ??????? Nah if it was I would have got diamonds

Come over anytime Simone. We will be in all weekend sorting out the workshed. Plus you can help with my lemon problem (i have too many) If the trees keep fruit the way they are at the mo, I'm going to have to open a market stall "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.