pets returning to uk

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:39 am
fev
Just Joined

fev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pets returning to uk

My pets will be returning to the UK at the end of October. Does anyone know what costs are involved at the UK/Heathrow end regarding release fees etc. I have been quoted $8000 for flying them out and this includes 8 weeks boarding in New Zealand to qualify for the pet passport scheme. I received quotes from UK quarantine stations of over 2000 UK Pounds to do the eight weeks there :scared:
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - Fev
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:04 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pets returning to uk

Originally Posted by fev
My pets will be returning to the UK at the end of October. Does anyone know what costs are involved at the UK/Heathrow end regarding release fees etc. I have been quoted $8000 for flying them out and this includes 8 weeks boarding in New Zealand to qualify for the pet passport scheme. I received quotes from UK quarantine stations of over 2000 UK Pounds to do the eight weeks there :scared:
Thanks - Fev

My dog did the pet passport in Oz. She had her rabies vaccine then after the correct time had the blood test. After we had the results from that test it was then 6mnths from that date that she was able to fly. She cost $3000 to fly from Oz to heathrow with a stop at singapore on route. Hope this has helped....what are your circumstances?

There were no other costs involved. Just one stressed dog to collect from Heathrow (James cargo) .

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:20 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fev

We brought our dog back from Auckland a few months back. We used www.dogtainers.co.nz - guy called George top bloke. Anyhow he wasnt only the cheapest but bloody wonderful with our dog.

We paid for our collie cross retriever $3800 that inc everything no extras at James Cargo, all handling fees were inc in the $3800. James Cargo were brilliant. Rabies cost us in NZ from start to finish $600 and prior to leaving (day before) we paid about, I think, $100 for his worm treatment. One bit of advice the treatment you get make sure your vet rights down the correct wording of the brand along with the dosage - forms dont ask for this but MAF does.

Anything else just ask.

Last edited by scottish; Jun 2nd 2005 at 6:24 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:04 pm
fev
Just Joined

Thanks Pants and Scottish for the info
We were due to fly back at end of October when dog and three cats had completed rabies requirements so that we could collect them ourselves from the airport. However, family commitments now mean we are flying back at the end of August. My problem is do I leave them here for 8 weeks to complete at a cost of $700 NZ dollars Boarding Fees OR fly them to UK and pay for quarantine there. The cost of quarantine is 1000 UK Pounds and 1200 UK Pounds for the collection, paperwork etc etc at Heathrow airport. I don't know where they get all these figures from. It would be an easy answer to leave them here for 8 weeks, but the dog has just been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy (vet says he could go on for two years or literally drop dead next week) and one of the cats comes home ill every time we board him here (he wasn't like this in UK catteries). My husband doesn't want to risk the dog becoming ill here whilst we are over in UK. Rehoming any of our pets is NOT an option, where we go they go. I suppose I just feel a bit miffed with all the costs involved at the UK end if they go into quarantine there. By the way, it is cheaper to ship the four of them from NZ to UK than it was to get them here.
Fev
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible for one of you to stay in NZ, while the other goes to UK for commitments? or could they go to a friend once you leave? Might be less stressful for everyone.

I respect you for insisting they go with you. I feel the same and cannot understand when animals are left behind due to costs only.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 6:06 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about checking in your local telephone book for petsitters? sometimes you can find one that keeps them in their home and usually at better prices than boarding. not to mention the more individual care. Maybe for a small extra fee they would even transport to airport and send him off for you.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:55 pm

Try and email James Cargo in London for advice.. they may be able to give you some ideas re cheaper quarantine kennels. God wish I could find all my links... try and do a search under my name or Linda Max name and Im sure it wil give you a few good links or solutions. I am sure that when your animal complete their passports all you pay is for the vet to check them out.

Sorry I cant be much more help. Totally feel for you.

God if I was still in NZ I would of taken your dog for you.

Let us know how you get on.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:04 pm

have a read through this thread..... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=linda

remember all they will have to do is whats left of the quarantine period in the UK... might be worth a think. PM Linda she might still be checking her emails. I havent heard from her in ages. She goes under the name of Linda Max.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 10:26 pm
fev
Just Joined

Scottish
Sorry its taken so long to get back - just wanted to thank you for the recommendation of using George & Dogtainers in Auckland. He's a great guy - he flew down to Nelson from Auckland to check out the newf's crate size and then gave a quote which was less than the Christchurch quotes I received. I had to drive the dog and 3 cats down to Christchurch on 3rd August and board them overnight - George flew down and stayed overnight in Chch and then we met up at 10.00am on the 4th August, George hired a van and we took the pets to Maf for a check then onto the airport for their 1.00pm flight - I was able to walk the dog right up to five minutes before personally loading him into his flight crate. All four pets then flew with Singapore airlines (a 2 hours touchdown in Singapore) then straight onto Manchester. They all landed safely and in good health on Friday morning 5th at 7.00am. Now safe and settled at a quarantine kennels in South Yorkshire for 10 weeks before qualifying for early release. I am glad I decided to get them back here as I would never have forgiven myself if I had boarded them in NZ for the 10 weeks and the dog had problems with his heart. At least if that happens now I am only 30 minutes away from him. We can visit any time we like. Rambling a bit now cos its late but I just wanted to thank you. George is a really nice, helpful guy and I would recommend him to anyone wanting to ship pets back from NZ.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 2:55 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fev
Thanks - Fev
Why are they having to do 8 weeks boarding to qualify for Pet Passport? Haven't they had their rabies shots for long enough? I flew a dog from Australia and it was easy. James Cargo at Heathrow are very good. Do they have to be in kennels here or could you get them 'house/pet sat'? Or could one of you stay here a bit longer?
Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:18 am

Fev

Just read your news. What a guy is our George. His service is out of this world... wonderful to hear, so pleased for you. Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!
xx