Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Prison Service South Island Advice please...

Prison Service South Island Advice please...

Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:09 am

taffinkent will become famous soon enough
Default Prison Service South Island Advice please...

Hello,

My partner and I (both officers) are thinking of taking up offers of employment with the New Zealand Correction Dept.

We have no children (and it will stay that way) and have only a house and cars to sell here in Kent and could relocate in as little as 6 months.

The equity from our house will almost guarantee we will have a little if no mortgage and we have sufficient funds to pay for removal and transfer.

We are looking to visit the South Island especially the Dunedin area of Otago to assess the environment and cost of living.

We are not city lovers and enjoy the outdoors life although we are aware that this will not be an extended holiday..

Any comments on any pitfalls or any relevant advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Sally1 will become famous soon enoughSally1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Prison Service South Island Advice please...

Hi

There is a thread on the go regarding Prison Officers at the moment which you could take a look at. It's called "Help, were moving to NZ" (sorry - don't know how to add the link...I'm fairly new to this!). I am waiting for some area info for another member on Dunedin as my cousin has lived there for 20 years and doesn't have children either. Will come back to you on anything I find out in the next few weeks.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:07 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taffinkent
Hello,

My partner and I (both officers) are thinking of taking up offers of employment with the New Zealand Correction Dept.

We have no children (and it will stay that way) and have only a house and cars to sell here in Kent and could relocate in as little as 6 months.

The equity from our house will almost guarantee we will have a little if no mortgage and we have sufficient funds to pay for removal and transfer.

We are looking to visit the South Island especially the Dunedin area of Otago to assess the environment and cost of living.

We are not city lovers and enjoy the outdoors life although we are aware that this will not be an extended holiday..

Any comments on any pitfalls or any relevant advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Hi there guys

I started this thread weeks ago
Have a good look at it, will answer some of your questions

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290969

Also try

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...30#post2214930

This thread was mentioned by Sally the other poster

Hope this helps

Eddie AKA Voyager970

Last edited by Voyager970; Apr 22nd 2005 at 11:14 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 6:28 pm

taffinkent will become famous soon enough

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the advice. We are very aware of the negativity from other users of this site which causes great concern.

As I stated we are would both be employed as prison officers with a combined income of approx $NZ 66,000.

If we had a mortgage of say $NZ 100,000 after using most of the equity from our house sale here with only us two to support would it really be that bad?

The reason I ask this is that most people on the threads have children to consider which is not our case. How much is the average interest rate and how much could we borrow on our salaries?

Once again, your help is appreciated.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 11:19 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taffinkent
Hi everybody,

Thanks for the advice. We are very aware of the negativity from other users of this site which causes great concern.

As I stated we are would both be employed as prison officers with a combined income of approx $NZ 66,000.

The reason I ask this is that most people on the threads have children to consider which is not our case. How much is the average interest rate and how much could we borrow on our salaries?

Once again, your help is appreciated.
Hi there taffinkent

I dont think us posters are being negative, we are only using a common sense approach to the matter, including that of pay.
Yes most of us who have posted on these threads have kids to support, but a starting salary of $35k, this is not a lot, considering it seems to be a more expensive place to live.

$66k is only £26400 in terms of UK money and I know us guys, in either the Scottish or the English prison service are on that, or more than that salary.

I know you should not compare the two countries in terms of salaries, but it is all relevant in the big world, you will have a joint income of $66k, here in the UK one of you is on that salary, do you still expect to be able to maintain your current life style.
I thought long and hard about the prison service in NZ, I do have 3 kids and a wife, who at the moment only works part time. I reckon that my wife would need to work full time, then there is all the costs of child care etc. I decided it was not worth it to maybe decrease my standard of living.

I do hope you and your partner make the right decision.
Please do not go into this move with blinkers on your eyes, please think about it !!!!

I know the place sounds fantastic to live in, but also think about your quality of life there, on not a great salary !!!!!!!

Eddie