Reload this Page >

Where to live near Gibralta?

Where to live near Gibralta?

Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

blueeyedguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live near Gibralta?

Hi there,

I have been offered a job in Gibralta and am wondering whether to take it. I dont know much about living in the South of Spain and was hoping some people here can give me some good advice. I have a wife and two kids aged 5 and 3 and was wondering where would be a good place to live in the Spain if I was working in Gibralta and how much it would cost to live there?

We would be looking to rent a nice 3 or 4 bedroom house in a good area for families with young children. It would be great if there are some other biritsh families nearby, but I dont want to live in a primarily expat community as we would like to experience the Spanish culture. I would be looking for somewhere within 45 mins commuting distance from Gibralta, but preferably closer.

Any suggestions for where to live, with the typical rent in the area would be greatly appreciated.

C.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to live near Gibralta?

It's certainly a thought but there must be less risk of border closures these days.I wonder what a political analyst who knew the ins and outs of the situation would say the risk was? In my view, the Spanish realise that things have moved on since the days of Franco when the border was indeed closed for many years. I think it was closed from 1969 to the early 80's. And occasional closures since then for example when the cruise liner Aurora docked at Gib with suspected cases of communicable disease.
But in the past 2 years, for example, how many times has the border been closed to workers wanting to cross from Spain?
I recently visited La Linea and would not think that being this close to Gibraltar would be very pleasant at all. Mainly from the housing point of view. This town has not had much investment in past times.
I think that Blueeyes should spend time looking around the area and forming his own opinions and talking to any locals that commute. If you live along the coast towards Sotogrande I would head for Alcaidesa and seek local advice and views.That place seems to have the easiest commute but not about affordable housing.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Richb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blueeyedguy
Any suggestions for where to live, with the typical rent in the area would be greatly appreciated.
C.
Hi,

I do some work in Gibraltar, travelling from San Pedro which is 40 miles when using the autopista (toll road) about 1hr door to door.
It's not that far but if using the toll road it will get expensive particularly during the summer holiday season when the toll prices treble.
I know people who live in La Linea and have visited...it's not exactly the most colourful place and I wouldn't recommend living this close to Gib, although the rent is cheaper than usual.
The other guys have come up with some good suggestions.
If you want to stay away from little Britain then avoid Puerto Duquesa & surrounding.

As for the border crossing, don't worry about it, times have changed and there's no problems whatsoever at the present time.
One thing to bear in mind is transport....if your driving by car and your company don't have allocated parking you will find it a real struggle finding a legal parking space, not to mention the queues getting on and more so off Gib especially if your working 9to5.
Most folks park up in La Linea and walk across, then walk to work or jump on a bus or get a taxi.
Parking in La Linea is 8 euro's per day if you want secure underground (opposite MacDonalds).

Good Luck.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:47 am
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of
Wink Re: Where to live near Gibralta?

Originally Posted by Nige
It's certainly a thought but there must be less risk of border closures these days.I wonder what a political analyst who knew the ins and outs of the situation would say the risk was? In my view, the Spanish realise that things have moved on since the days of Franco when the border was indeed closed for many years. I think it was closed from 1969 to the early 80's. And occasional closures since then for example when the cruise liner Aurora docked at Gib with suspected cases of communicable disease.
But in the past 2 years, for example, how many times has the border been closed to workers wanting to cross from Spain?
Very true Nige. I have lived on the Costa del Sol for nearly three years and the border has only been closed for ONE DAY (during Aurora's visit). My partener used to work in ATC at Gibraltar Airport and live in Spain, and the border was NEVER shut during her time there.

However the border can sometimes get busy with road traffic with 90 min.+ delays each way. Then it's a case of parking in La Linea and walking across, or using a motor bike or scooter (if you are very brave )

My partner lived in Gib initially but the cost of living, filth everywhere and noise drove her out after two months, it's not a very nice place to live and no place for children. There are some very nice properties in Spain 15 mins from the border and, with the current slump in tourism, long term rentals should be good value.

Blueeyedguy try renting for a couple of weeks and check out the area thoroughly before entering into any long term agreements. Look at tax arrangements as Gib has very high income tax and, if you get into double taxation agreements, it takes a very long time to get it back; years not months .

Sorry can not comment on children, or facilities for them, in Spain or Gibraltar.

Best of luck with your venture.

Jock
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:51 am
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Richb
Hi,
If you want to stay away from little Britain then avoid Puerto Duquesa & surrounding.
Could not agree more, the whole area around Manilva, Sabinillas, Duquesa is in a terible mess, FULL of Brits, tacky shops, 'London' bars and they are plannng 1,000s more properties in the near future . It's a slum and getting worse. There are much nicer places nearer Gibraltar at considerably cheaper rents, particularly the Tarifa side of Algeciras, where you not have the Costa del Sol mark-up and Brit 'domination' . There are also a number of Americans working at the petrol refinery station so there are good shops and restaurants at reasonable prices.

Again, the best of luck in your venture,

Jock
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:23 am
Just Joined

blueeyedguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the kind advice. To summarize:

a) Crossing the border is no problem at the moment, but could change overnight if there was a polictical incident.

b) La Linea and Gibratla are not to be recommended, particularly with kids.

c) East of Gibralta is mainly tourist areas and is becoming overdeveloped. Manilva, Sabinillas, Puerto Duquesa and surroundings have a lot of brits. So it may be better to look west towards Tarifa.

d) Driving to Gibralta is generally ok, but autopista tolls and parking fees can make it quite expensive. Perhaps 5000 euro a year in total?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Richb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blueeyedguy
Many thanks for the kind advice. To summarize:

a) Crossing the border is no problem at the moment, but could change overnight if there was a polictical incident.

b) La Linea and Gibratla are not to be recommended, particularly with kids.

c) East of Gibralta is mainly tourist areas and is becoming overdeveloped. Manilva, Sabinillas, Puerto Duquesa and surroundings have a lot of brits. So it may be better to look west towards Tarifa.

d) Driving to Gibralta is generally ok, but autopista tolls and parking fees can make it quite expensive. Perhaps 5000 euro a year in total?
That's about the size of it m8, great idea to give renting a try for 6 months and see how you get on.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point

Well summed up blueeyedguy. Sorry Nige forgot I wasn't allowed an opinion when you are around . I was just pointing out that it is something to keep in mind not confirming that there was a problem - the situation is good at the moment but there have be political problems for years so it won't be solved over night.

I have also heard some horror stories re border control - e.g. checking of cars etc but this can be overcome as ScotinSpain said by walking across and parking in La Linea.

If you look for property towards Tarifa on beyond you will find it a world away from the Costa del Sol (no offence intended). There are some lovely areas in Costa Luz so it is certainly worth looking into renting but I would suggest at least a couple of months. That way if you find something you like and want to buy you will have been able to buy it before having to leave the rental house. You will also get a better weekly rate for a longer let.

If you move to an area near a beach and in a Spanish area you will find it is wonderful for children. The Spanish absolutely adore children (we have two a little younger than yours) and they will just love the beaches!
Old Mar 20th 2006, 11:00 am
Just Joined

athie is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m moving from (El Campello) nr. Alicante in 2 weeks to take up a new job in Gibraltar – I’m beginning to get a little concerned with ‘where to live and where not to live’ – Initially I was coming alone so La Linea would have sufficed – My mother has decided to join me and I’m starting to think La Linea wouldn’t be suitable – Duquea sounded OK and I’m assuming within easy travel distance to Gib – now I’m not so sure – it sounds grotty and I’m running out of time. Plus it sounds like parking in La Linea to cross the border on foot is expensive (parking etc..) and nightmarish.

Please help!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:11 pm
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by athie
I’m moving from (El Campello) nr. Alicante in 2 weeks to take up a new job in Gibraltar – I’m beginning to get a little concerned with ‘where to live and where not to live’ – Initially I was coming alone so La Linea would have sufficed – My mother has decided to join me and I’m starting to think La Linea wouldn’t be suitable – Duquea sounded OK and I’m assuming within easy travel distance to Gib – now I’m not so sure – it sounds grotty and I’m running out of time. Plus it sounds like parking in La Linea to cross the border on foot is expensive (parking etc..) and nightmarish.

Please help!
IMO stay clear of La Linea, to put it bluntly it's a **** hole.

Parking - there is a new carpark opened literally 100 yards to the left of the boarder entrance if your facing the rock.
It's not covered but has 24hr security and is gated.
It's 20 euro per month for weekdays only and 30 per month for 7 days use.

In order to signup and recieve your space and entrance key you'll need all your ID. Passport/residency card, NIE number, proof of address, all vehicle documentation.

I'm doing it soon, once the tourist traffic becomes unbearable which is only weeks away (once it stop raining anyway).

As for where to live, I feel for you - why do you think I travel from Marbella on a daily basis

Good luck.

Last edited by BritBull; Mar 21st 2006 at 12:13 pm. Reason: Coz i can't speel ;)
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

lucy5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Estepona which is about 40 minutes drive to Gibraltar plus queue time but it depends when you go. Estepona is a lovely little place, not as many Brits as Sabinillas and Duquesa. Sotogrande is very expensive. Alcadeisa is well placed but you are a bit cut off. How do you want to school your kids? There is an International school in Sotogrande which is very good. I would research Spanish schools as some are good and some are truly appalling. It is quite difficult to go to a school that is not in your area. I would steer well clear of La linea as it is the pits. Tarifa is lovely but the wind can make life very miserable. I suppose it depends on what you want really. Both my husband and I work in Gibraltar and live in Spain, so if there's anything you would like to know please give me a shout.