Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transfering to the Australian Army

Transfering to the Australian Army

Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Army Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfering to the Australian Army

Hi, I'm new to this but have found the posts, that I have read very interesting.

I have recently applied to transfer from the British Army to the Australian Army and have recieved my initial acceptance. I have just despatched my detailed paperwork and am awaiting my detailed job offer. The move would be under 'Employer Nominated Scheme'.

I was just wondering whetehr anyone else had done this and how they had found the process.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Originally Posted by Army Man
Hi, I'm new to this but have found the posts, that I have read very interesting.

I have recently applied to transfer from the British Army to the Australian Army and have recieved my initial acceptance. I have just despatched my detailed paperwork and am awaiting my detailed job offer. The move would be under 'Employer Nominated Scheme'.

I was just wondering whetehr anyone else had done this and how they had found the process.
G'day mate. I'm just bumping this thread up the top in hope that someone can help you.

Good luck
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Bump
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:50 pm
arrive QLD 10th June

sonic3829 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GCS15
Bump
Hi mate
Try these threads Military transfer and Birtish/Australian Army. I'm going through the same process at the moment it's taken me about 18 months but I leave the British Army on the 20th May and enlist on the 6th June in London at the embassy. It then Business Class flights for my family and I to Australia all paid for along with our removals, hotels and hire car. I start work on the 14th June with the RAEME in Townsville, Queeensland. You can serve until you're 55, better housing and citizenship after only 90 days. Any more info needed just e-mail me
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi mate, I'm in the process at the moment. Do not hold your breath while waiting - it can take a while!
You can see my timeline below, I don't expect to be moving until at least Jun next year - if all goes well.....
All I can say is I think it'll be worth it in the end, certainly people I've spoken to over there think so.
PM me if I can be of any help at all.

Nige
Old Apr 8th 2005, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

biscuit63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Army Man

I am due to go to Adelaide in August this year but it has taken 2 years from start to finish, the qiuckest I know of someone going over is 15 months. If you need any info drop me a line.
Old May 17th 2005, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Justa quick update on the procedure:

I have been invited to a pilot scheme which involves a selection board for potential transferees in London.

Basic outline seems to be that you and your spouse/partner go for an interview at Australia House, there is also a medical assesment made of the main applicant.

If succesful, you are invited to sign a letter of intent to transfer and the process is speeded up.

I am possibly doing this in June, so will keep you all posted.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Update on the selection board:

1. There are 3 main interviews, one with a Lt Col from SCMA, one with a doctor, and one or two with DCO reps (social worker and an education advisor).

2. My wife and daughter attended all the interviews with me (2 yr old made colonels interview 'interesting'!)

3. After the board, you still need to get a medical done by your doctor - the aussie doctor goes through your med history (applicant only)

4. You get a decision on the day, but it has the medical caveat on it, so you still have the stress of waiting for that..

I think that's about it, if there are any questions, feel free to PM!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

glm36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I applied in Feb 04 and then resent my application forms off again in March this year, I've just had an email from SCMA informaing me that my enlistment package is on it's way!! (at last).

As you can see it's taken over 12 months and i expect it to take another 12 months at least, but, the wait should be worth it.

Cheers
Old Aug 19th 2005, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, I've been invited to go to the next board in Oct 05 in london with the missus. just a quick question if i pass the selection board how long did it take for you to hear that you had passed the medical? I have been told that if i am selected i will be out by the end of Jul 06.

Which is good because i can still PVR!

Cheers

Originally Posted by njk435
Update on the selection board:

1. There are 3 main interviews, one with a Lt Col from SCMA, one with a doctor, and one or two with DCO reps (social worker and an education advisor).

2. My wife and daughter attended all the interviews with me (2 yr old made colonels interview 'interesting'!)

3. After the board, you still need to get a medical done by your doctor - the aussie doctor goes through your med history (applicant only)

4. You get a decision on the day, but it has the medical caveat on it, so you still have the stress of waiting for that..

I think that's about it, if there are any questions, feel free to PM!
Old Aug 20th 2005, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi mate,

I posted my med results and blood tests about a month ago, had an email asking for a fax number to send my job offer to yesterday...

Still not the end of the line though, once I accept the job offer I need to do the DIMIA process - about 6 months long apparently for ENS and/or Labour agreement applicants.

HTH

Nige

Originally Posted by glm36
Hi, I've been invited to go to the next board in Oct 05 in london with the missus. just a quick question if i pass the selection board how long did it take for you to hear that you had passed the medical? I have been told that if i am selected i will be out by the end of Jul 06.

Which is good because i can still PVR!

Cheers
Old Aug 20th 2005, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice

Originally Posted by sonic3829
Hi mate
Try these threads Military transfer and Birtish/Australian Army. I'm going through the same process at the moment it's taken me about 18 months but I leave the British Army on the 20th May and enlist on the 6th June in London at the embassy. It then Business Class flights for my family and I to Australia all paid for along with our removals, hotels and hire car. I start work on the 14th June with the RAEME in Townsville, Queeensland. You can serve until you're 55, better housing and citizenship after only 90 days. Any more info needed just e-mail me
my hubby bessie mate has 8yrs left to serve (he is 37 at moment) would he lose his pension if he transferred??
Old Aug 20th 2005, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

colinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant future

Hi mate,

I posted my med results and blood tests about a month ago, had an email asking for a fax number to send my job offer to yesterday...

Still not the end of the line though, once I accept the job offer I need to do the DIMIA process - about 6 months long apparently for ENS and/or Labour agreement applicants.

HTH

Nige
Hi Nige

On receipt of your Labour Agreement approval, the visa application can be very quick.

I received my med requests 4 days after sending my application, and visa 8 days after sending the meds.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Colin
Old Aug 21st 2005, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for the reply,

Could you give me a few pointers as to what goes on at the Board? questions asked etc, been a fair few years since i went for a job interview!

I'm taking my police checks and copy of me f med 4 when i go as well, hopefully shows how keen we are.

Cheers

Gary

Hi mate,

HTH

Nige
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 2:23 am
Just Joined

thebluearmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Hi there

I transfered from the British 2 the Oz mob and started work 3 months ago in Sydney. The process can seem like its taking a long time because of all the paperwork going back and forward but think as a general rule, u should b looking at about a 2 year process.

One bit of promising news for you though is that of this year the Aussie army is recruiting over 300 overseas applicants as opposed to the 80 that as been the case in previoulsy.

If you`ve got any question u`d like me to answer then feel free to PM me.

Craig

Originally Posted by glm36
Many thanks for the reply,

Could you give me a few pointers as to what goes on at the Board? questions asked etc, been a fair few years since i went for a job interview!

I'm taking my police checks and copy of me f med 4 when i go as well, hopefully shows how keen we are.

Cheers

Gary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.