No fixed abode

Old Mar 8th 2005, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

storerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of light
Question No fixed abode

Hi everyone,
I have being reading the posts on the web site for some time and they have proved very useful, thanks.

This is my first post, so here goes.

I intend to leave the UK for Oz in May / June and then travel around OZ for 6 - 12 months, I never did the backpacking thing when I was younger.

However it seems that you need to have some where to live to get driving licence, MediCare card etc etc.

Does anyone have any advise???

Cheers
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:24 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No fixed abode

Welcome to the site mate

I can't help you with that question but hope someone else can offer advice.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:46 am
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by storerg
Hi everyone,
I have being reading the posts on the web site for some time and they have proved very useful, thanks.

I intend to leave the UK for Oz in May / June and then travel around OZ for 6 - 12 months, I never did the backpacking thing when I was younger.

However it seems that you need to have some where to live to get driving licence, MediCare card etc etc.

Cheers
Yes, it's going to be tricky without an Australian address. Do you not have any family or friends whose address you can use in correspondence and setting up bank accounts and driving licence etc?

We're going to Perth, and plan to rent shortly after arrival. My father-in-law lives in Adelaide. So far we've used his address for sundries such as mobile phone SIM card.

Not there yet so can anyone else help Storerg? What about a PO box?

Cheers Paul
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in the same sorrt of position although we are only planning on travelling for 2 or 3 months.

I was wondering about the Sydney addresses advertised by everythingaustralian.co.uk but I haven't really investigated any further at present as we're still waiting to sell the house.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

storerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of light

I have had a look at PO Boxes and these don't seem to meet the requirements, you need to have proof of address such as Rental agreement, utillity bills etc etc.

I will have to see if an old friend in Sydney will let me use their address
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:07 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by storerg
Hi everyone,

Cheers
Try this one for link to Travellers Contact Point

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=sydney

Good luck
Merlot

Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:17 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Try this one for link to Travellers Contact Point

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=sydney

Good luck
Merlot
I had friends that used the Travellers Contact Point. They had no problems.

When I got travelled to Oz 8 years ago I used the address of the first hostel I stayed in. I was able to get a bank account, tax file number and medicare card. Mind you, you here so much about ID fraud these days, I probably would go for the TCP if I were to do it now.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers everyone, I will give TCP a go!!