IELTS validity

Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

tibidabo will become famous soon enough
Default IELTS validity

Hi,

there was a sentence in the last year pre-july booklet that the IELTS results are valid only for 12 months.
In the current booklet it is missing. In fact they demand the results at the time of the application.

Does it mean that my IELTS is valid for 2 years?

My situation is quite difficult, since my test date is 28 May 2004, but I need to submit my aplication after June 2005.

What do you think?

Thank you in advance!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:59 am

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS validity

Originally Posted by tibidabo
Hi,

there was a sentence in the last year pre-july booklet that the IELTS results are valid only for 12 months.
In the current booklet it is missing. In fact they demand the results at the time of the application.

Does it mean that my IELTS is valid for 2 years?

My situation is quite difficult, since my test date is 28 May 2004, but I need to submit my aplication after June 2005.

What do you think?

Thank you in advance!

I think from memory that the CIC only accept the results if they are less then a year old, but in essence the tests are valid for any other purpose for two years. Incidently be careful as there are two forms of the test Acadamic and General Training. (see http://www.lr.mdx.ac.uk/ielts/faq.htm for details) You will need to do the General Training Test.

The whole issue seems ridiculous as ones standard of English is hardly likely to deteriorate as time goes by.

Edit

Here you go (from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/E37023.pdf),

• Test results from an approved language-testing organization: We strongly recommend that you submit test results if you are claiming proficiency in a language that is not your native language. If you choose to send the reports to us directly, you must provide the original. Photocopies are unacceptable. Language test results must not be older than one year upon submission.

Good luck btw.

Last edited by Covenant; Feb 10th 2005 at 10:09 am.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Covenant
I think from memory that the CIC only accept the results if they are less then a year old, but in essence the tests are valid for any other purpose for two years. Incidently be careful as there are two forms of the test Acadamic and General Training. (see http://www.lr.mdx.ac.uk/ielts/faq.htm for details) You will need to do the General Training Test.

The whole issue seems ridiculous as ones standard of English is hardly likely to deteriorate as time goes by.

Edit

Here you go (from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/E37023.pdf),

• Test results from an approved language-testing organization: We strongly recommend that you submit test results if you are claiming proficiency in a language that is not your native language. If you choose to send the reports to us directly, you must provide the original. Photocopies are unacceptable. Language test results must not be older than one year upon submission.

Good luck btw.

Thanks for the answer, but I want to go to Australia not Canada. It might be different for them.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:41 pm

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: IELTS validity

Thanks for the answer, but I want to go to Australia not Canada. It might be different for them.

Whoops my Bad! Can't believe I did something so daft, Lol!. Hopefully someone will give you the correct answer then.

Good luck anyway.

Last edited by Covenant; Feb 10th 2005 at 3:52 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Covenant
Whoops my Bad! Can't believe I did something so daft, Lol!. Hopefully someone will give you the correct answer then.

Good luck anyway.
No sugession?
IELST is validy for 1 or 2 years?

Thanks
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

No sugession?
IELST is validy for 1 or 2 years?

Thanks
Using an IELTS test result more than 12 months old at time of application is a grey area. DIMIA may accept it or they may not - they are more likely to if it's well above the threshold and/or you're clearly living in an English speaking environment.

In the end, it's down to your case officer.

Jeremy
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Using an IELTS test result more than 12 months old at time of application is a grey area. DIMIA may accept it or they may not - they are more likely to if it's well above the threshold and/or you're clearly living in an English speaking environment.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy for your answer!
Actually I am working for an Irish company, my boss is irish. I have to use english all the time.
In fact I studied in english during my university studies.
Although it is very funny for me that even though I have a english degree, I had to take the IELTS test.
Above all I cannot collect the 5 bonus points for fluency of a community language, because I studied in English. I never thought that it would be a real disadvantage after all.

I have the 3 year work experience from June, but I took the test 26 May 2004, we are talking about 4 days only.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 9:23 am
Muks

Folks,
Itis important things to note and keep in mind:
i. DIMIA will accept only results that are earlier than 12 months and
not before that.
ii. Just take the General test.

Canada also works on same fundamentals as far as my knowledge,
thanks.
all the best.
- Muks

Old May 4th 2005, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Muks
Folks,
Itis important things to note and keep in mind:
i. DIMIA will accept only results that are earlier than 12 months and
not before that.
ii. Just take the General test.

Canada also works on same fundamentals as far as my knowledge,
thanks.
all the best.
- Muks
Hi Guys,

I called DIMIA an other day and they said it is valid for 24 months. I think it has been changed recently.

Tibidabo
Old Jun 5th 2005, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Guys,

I called DIMIA an other day and they said it is valid for 24 months. I think it has been changed recently.

Tibidabo
Hi,

I have just lodge my application this week.

However I read it somewhere that DIMIA can give you a pretty short deadline for taking an IELTS test. Is that true? In that case maybe I sould really tkae the exam again.

Tibor
Old Jun 5th 2005, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

caracas is an unknown quantity at this point

as far as I remember DIMIA is asking for the results or proof that you are register for a new exam at BC. if you send the proof that you are register for an incoming date to attend the IELTS, DIMIA will wait for you until you get the results.

Best of luck
Old Jun 12th 2005, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by caracas
as far as I remember DIMIA is asking for the results or proof that you are register for a new exam at BC. if you send the proof that you are register for an incoming date to attend the IELTS, DIMIA will wait for you until you get the results.

Best of luck
Hi,

Just two more things to clarify.
Is the date of the result when I took the exam or when the result was issued? For me it gives me new perspective, my result in this case is less then 12 months old.
Is the submitting date of the application when I sent it or when the acknowledged it?

Thanks, Tibor
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Just two more things to clarify.
Is the date of the result when I took the exam or when the result was issued? For me it gives me new perspective, my result in this case is less then 12 months old.
Is the submitting date of the application when I sent it or when the acknowledged it?

Thanks, Tibor
Hi,

I could not wait until DIMIA says what to do especially considering the fact that they might give me a deadline to submit my documents. Therefore I took the test again with my wife. It confirm that the outcome of the test is based on some knowledge and luck.
I was mainly focusing on the writing part, because I have very bad handwriting and spelling. So I wrote everything in capital letters, which was very slow.

my results:
28 May 2004 : Listening 7.5, reading 6.5, Writing 6, Speaking 8
26 July 2005: Listening 7.5, reading 9!, Writing 7, Speaking 7

So I improved 2.5 band for reading, even though I hadn't practice too much, writing of course, and I lost 1 for speaking, because I was a little bit tired and tried to be natural.

I will send my results along with my PCC when they are ready.
The notorious 12 month sentence is still not included in the booklet, but in the FAQ, that pursued me to retake the test.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Gosh, I hope what you say above holds true for us. Our IELTS results are 5 (!)years old - both of us scored 8.5 (we are applying under subclass 139). In addition, we are providing our academic transcripts, that show English as the first language. My husband and I had our education in India, and we now live in Dubai.

Anya