Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Any lawyers or anyone who can help! Please!!!!!!!!

Any lawyers or anyone who can help! Please!!!!!!!!

Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

crusty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any lawyers or anyone who can help! Please!!!!!!!!

Some of you may remember me in here although it has been a while since I posted. The last post was about my wife having me arrsted, but it was thrown out by the judge because we made up.
I now have a more serious issue. Our marriage has been rocky at best, but I still love my wife. I just found out that she however has written to immigration and told them that she no longer will support me and will not sign the form to remove the conditions on my permanant residency status. She told them awful things about me.
I have made a good life for myself here. I have a good job, car etc. I am so afraid that immigration will deport me now.
We have talked and I have agreed to divorce if that is what she really wants, but I don't want to lose all that I have worked so hard for...I don't want to lose my life here.
My question is, do I have a leg to stand on, or will I be deported????
Can I still try and file for removal of conditions (I don't have to do this until Dec. of 2005) Will I be able to stay here and continue on with my life????
Someone please help me, I am begging for my life now.
Thank you.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any lawyers or anyone who can help! Please!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by crusty
Some of you may remember me in here although it has been a while since I posted. The last post was about my wife having me arrsted, but it was thrown out by the judge because we made up.
I now have a more serious issue. Our marriage has been rocky at best, but I still love my wife. I just found out that she however has written to immigration and told them that she no longer will support me and will not sign the form to remove the conditions on my permanant residency status. She told them awful things about me.
I have made a good life for myself here. I have a good job, car etc. I am so afraid that immigration will deport me now.
We have talked and I have agreed to divorce if that is what she really wants, but I don't want to lose all that I have worked so hard for...I don't want to lose my life here.
My question is, do I have a leg to stand on, or will I be deported????
Can I still try and file for removal of conditions (I don't have to do this until Dec. of 2005) Will I be able to stay here and continue on with my life????
Someone please help me, I am begging for my life now.
Thank you.
Hi:

Once the divorce is final you can file a "good faith waiver" I-751 by yourself. Talk to a lawyer person on this.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can't really offer much help, but would suggest you do a search on this site about it, because I'm sure it ain't the first time, and I think there's something you can do about it with regards to removing conditions without a sponsor if you can prove the marriage was in good intent, but can't remember what it's called.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Mr F beat me to it, that's the thing I meant

Goodluck
Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

crusty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Once the divorce is final you can file a "good faith waiver" I-751 by yourself. Talk to a lawyer person on this.
Will they come and deport me before divorce proceedings can be arranged??? How seriously will they take her letter..I am scared to death! She sent one letter to the sub office in our area and also one to the main office in VT. I am so afraid they will be coming for me soon.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by crusty
Will they come and deport me before divorce proceedings can be arranged??? How seriously will they take her letter..I am scared to death! She sent one letter to the sub office in our area and also one to the main office in VT. I am so afraid they will be coming for me soon.
I'd speak to a solicitor to put your mind at ease. I hardly doubt they'd come crashing in on you to drag you away...they probably get this quite a bit.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 4:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So you have adjusted status, well she is on the hook, too late to withdraw.

And you have legal status, she can not control that.

There are other issues you mentioned about removal of conditions and as has been said sounds like a Lawyer would help, your peace of mind as much as anything.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Just going to add this, because nobody said it in such words: you are not going to get deported, because you are a legal permanent resident of the US. So no more worrying about that, okay?

Now for the removal of conditions, take Mr. F's advice.

Elaine
Old Oct 29th 2004, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
Just going to add this, because nobody said it in such words: you are not going to get deported, because you are a legal permanent resident of the US.
I'll also add that your wife still has an obligation of support under the I-864, and divorce does not release her from that obligation.

Ian
Old Oct 29th 2004, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

AGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the rough
Arrow Re: Any lawyers or anyone who can help! Please!!!!!!!!

crusty:

You MUST file for DIVORCE as soon as possible. They will not deport you now, but since your wife already sent nasty letters and its clear to USCIS that your marriage is no longer viable your course of action is to divorce and immediately after file the form I-751 with a waiver of the joint filing requirement.

You don't have to wait until December of 2005 to file the form I-751, as soon as your divorce is final you could file. Now the most important issue here is that you must have tons of evidence for bonafide marriage. I highly doubt it that your wife will be willing to give you an affidavit since she already wrote those letters but you should get at least 3 people that know about your marraige and have them write in a form of an affidavit how they know both of you, if they were present at your marriage, that you guys lived together, but that they are aware that although you guys have worked on your marital problems you guys got divorced etc etc...

Then you must arrange as many documents showing comingling of finances as possible. Including, joint income tax returns, bank statements, insurance policies, rental/mortgage agreements, joint credit cards, joint utility bills. Specially those documents that have a date after the day you got CPR.

You should also put an affidavit written by yourself, and as well as the other affidavits should be notarized. You should describe your relationshpi, and your good intention to share a life together with your wife etc. Most likely you will be interview as most of the waiver cases are interviewed...

You definitely have to start your divorce proceeding asap, because you won't be able to go through a Joint I-751...and since USCIS has those letters your wife wrote it won't look good in your side staying in a marriage that is clearly no longer viable.

Feel free to write me at aguila@britishexpats, should you have questions. I am NOT an attorney and this is not legal advice, it is only my opinion just because I have/am been there.