Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical Question

Electrical Question

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:33 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Electrical Question

OK
I am quite au fait with electricity but this one is beyond me!
My UK appliances, eg, an iron, must be earthed and fused (according to the label attached to the cord)
The adaptors you buy don't have earth! Which is worrying when you have water and electricity working closely so I bought an aussie plug but that has no fuse!!
Was advised to go to Tandy to buy an in-line fuse as aussie appliances have fuses built into them which made sense. However, the staff in Tandy thought I was from another planet and do not sell in-line fuses for such purposes.
Looking at aussie apliances, I don't think they have any different internal fuses than UK ones.
Then I thought, when was the last time you changed a fuse in a plus? I think once in 20 years and that was for a lamp! So is all this rubbish? Can I just change my 3-pin UK plugs to 3-pin aussie plugs? I dont want to use UK multi-plug extension leads as the adaptors to convert to aussie sockets have no earth.
Maybe if I changed the UK extension lead to an aussie plug, the UK plugs that go into it still have fuses!
Have I answered my own question?
Any advice??

Andrew
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:37 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical Question

Originally Posted by andrew63
OK
I am quite au fait with electricity but this one is beyond me!
My UK appliances, eg, an iron, must be earthed and fused (according to the label attached to the cord)
The adaptors you buy don't have earth! Which is worrying when you have water and electricity working closely so I bought an aussie plug but that has no fuse!!
Was advised to go to Tandy to buy an in-line fuse as aussie appliances have fuses built into them which made sense. However, the staff in Tandy thought I was from another planet and do not sell in-line fuses for such purposes.
Looking at aussie apliances, I don't think they have any different internal fuses than UK ones.
Then I thought, when was the last time you changed a fuse in a plus? I think once in 20 years and that was for a lamp! So is all this rubbish? Can I just change my 3-pin UK plugs to 3-pin aussie plugs? I dont want to use UK multi-plug extension leads as the adaptors to convert to aussie sockets have no earth.
Maybe if I changed the UK extension lead to an aussie plug, the UK plugs that go into it still have fuses!
Any advice??

Andrew
The Aussie way seems to be that you rely on the RCD breaker fitted in the metre box, as opposed to individually fused appliances and/or the old style U.K fuse board.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:46 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
The Aussie way seems to be that you rely on the RCD breaker fitted in the metre box, as opposed to individually fused appliances and/or the old style U.K fuse board.
I reckon you're right. And I reckon from experince, that will be OK. As I saidm never had a blown fuse apart from a lamp in the last 2 years!

Thanks

Andrew
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 9:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by andrew63
Can I just change my 3-pin UK plugs to 3-pin aussie plugs? I dont want to use UK multi-plug extension leads as the adaptors to convert to aussie sockets have no earth.
Any advice??

Andrew
Andrew, Yes, just change the plugs.
You should have no problems, we've all done it.
Except some people get an Electrician to change the plugs for them at about $10-$20 each plug !!! Well. that's apparently what the law says must be done, allthough there is now some confusion on this.

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 10:09 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Andrew, Yes, just change the plugs.
You should have no problems, we've all done it.
Except some people get an Electrician to change the plugs for them at about $10-$20 each plug !!! Well. that's apparently what the law says must be done, allthough there is now some confusion on this.
ABC if you read the packaging on an aussie plug or any electrical hardware there is a warning it's often mis-enterpreted but says that "any change of "fixed wiring" must be done by a qualified electrician" By "fixed" take that as the wiring in your home i.e the stuff behind the walls
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 10:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cresta57
ABC if you read the packaging on an aussie plug or any electrical hardware there is a warning it's often mis-enterpreted but says that "any change of "fixed wiring" must be done by a qualified electrician" By "fixed" take that as the wiring in your home i.e the stuff behind the walls
I agree. I have always thought along the same lines, but have recently been asking about it, and hearing differing opinions. One electrician said "the plug is fixed to the wire isn't it ?"

I am sure that you are right about it being "the stuff behind the walls", but I would love to find absolute confirmation on a government website somewhere. But i'll still change all my own plugs

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 10:49 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Just for your information: I found out, when trying to get the washing machine working, that the adapter I had was swapping the live and neutral around. :scared:

It is worth bringing a few 4-way extension leads and changing the plugs as there will probably be somethings for which the plugs cannot be changed. Also for computer stuff and hi-fi its not worth changing all of the plugs.

Cheers
Alistair
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 11:41 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I agree. I have always thought along the same lines, but have recently been asking about it, and hearing differing opinions. One electrician said "the plug is fixed to the wire isn't it ?"

I am sure that you are right about it being "the stuff behind the walls", but I would love to find absolute confirmation on a government website somewhere. But i'll still change all my own plugs
Mentioned plug changing / electrician to Aussie next door neighbour. They laughed. Said in 50 years as a true blue Aussie they'd never heard of it. They change all their own plugs & wouldn't ever think to get an electrician to do it

As you say ABCD.....seems it's another myth...unless there is government info to substantiate

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

You will see all new australian plugs are sealed/fixed/ completely moulded in one piece not like the UK ones. Presumably for a reason. Warnings on packets about qualified electricians are to protect the companies from litigation. Buck stops with purchaser.

Wiring up a new light fitting/electrical fan etc without a qualified electrician can void your house insurance.

Look at the thread the other day about using UK power tools totally illegal on any aussie job site but the info given on here was thats OK I refrained from pointing out its illegal as its not the answer people want.

Best advice for most would be ring your insurer and ask if you have a little DIY electrical session will you be covered in the event of house fire etc.

Last edited by jad n rich; Oct 23rd 2004 at 9:00 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 10:17 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by jad n rich
You will see all new australian plugs are sealed/fixed/ completely moulded in one piece not like the UK ones. Presumably for a reason. Warnings on packets about qualified electricians are to protect the companies from litigation. Buck stops with purchaser.

Wiring up a new light fitting/electrical fan etc without a qualified electrician can void your house insurance.

Look at the thread the other day about using UK power tools totally illegal on any aussie job site but the info given on here was thats OK I refrained from pointing out its illegal as its not the answer people want.

Best advice for most would be ring your insurer and ask if you have a little DIY electrical session will you be covered in the event of house fire etc.
Ah yes. Forgot to mention. Also mentioned nul & void insurance to Aussie neighbours too. They laughed and again reiterated as far as they're concerned .......there's no such thing....

Perhaps it a matter of opinion? Maybe we need to see corresponding government legislation then we can see if it is another urban myth or not

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

johntrav69 is an unknown quantity at this point

All UK plugs now come moulded (For about the last four-five years I think). European law requires that plugs come included and the end user doesnt have to buy and fit one. Trouble is of course no-one will know how to fit a plug in 20 yrs, except the experts of course. Time to retrain methinks.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Ah yes. Forgot to mention. Also mentioned nul & void insurance to Aussie neighbours too. They laughed and again reiterated as far as they're concerned .......there's no such thing....

Perhaps it a matter of opinion? Maybe we need to see corresponding government legislation then we can see if it is another urban myth or not

I dont understand why your aussie neighbours need to change plugs! The fuse situation is sorted by having the circuit breaker/earth leakage required by law, so unless they import everything in a different voltage or their dog has a fetish for plugs I cant see why they need to change them. Never needed to change a plug in my life in OZ.

There is no doubt insurance companies will not pay if electrical requirements dont meet the law. Do you think they hand over $200,000+ if they dont have to? in the case of any fire an investigation is held. I am more than aware of this as a registered builder who quotes jobs after fire/bushfire and storm damage.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 7:41 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I dont understand why your aussie neighbours need to change plugs! The fuse situation is sorted by having the circuit breaker/earth leakage required by law, so unless they import everything in a different voltage or their dog has a fetish for plugs I cant see why they need to change them. Never needed to change a plug in my life in OZ.

There is no doubt insurance companies will not pay if electrical requirements dont meet the law. Do you think they hand over $200,000+ if they dont have to? in the case of any fire an investigation is held. I am more than aware of this as a registered builder who quotes jobs after fire/bushfire and storm damage.
I don't doubt your understanding of these matters given you are a registered builder who quotes jobs after bushfires and storm damage. What I do doubt is the authentisity of those claims.

So far all I've heard is opinion. That includes mine, my Aussie neighbours, yours and others on this site.

So far there doesn't seem to be ANY FACTUAL EVIDENCE.....to suggest it's illegal to change plugs here in Australia.

Unless of course you can prove to the contrary i.e stating legislation.....that it's illegal to change plugs in Australia.....In which case I shall apologise profoundly

Until then.....it seems it's just personal interpretations and opinion me finx....i.e. another urban myth

Old Oct 24th 2004, 8:03 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Jad n rich

It might help if we could legally interpret the term "fixed wiring?"

Old Oct 24th 2004, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
I don't doubt your understanding of these matters given you are a registered builder who quotes jobs after bushfires and storm damage. What I do doubt is the authentisity of those claims.

So far all I've heard is opinion. That includes mine, my Aussie neighbours, yours and others on this site.

So far there doesn't seem to be ANY FACTUAL EVIDENCE.....to suggest it's illegal to change plugs here in Australia.

Unless of course you can prove to the contrary i.e stating legislation.....that it's illegal to change plugs in Australia.....In which case I shall apologise profoundly

Until then.....it seems it's just personal interpretations and opinion me finx....i.e. another urban myth

My licences are for construction, commercial and domestic, however as much as I am qualified to pop up a 50 storey highrise or a billion dollar shopping complex I am not covered here to do ANY electrical work because I am NOT an electrician, if I as much as installed one electrical socket the enitre project could no longer be covered. That is australia, get a qualified person to do your work.

That is why I have already said check with your insurance company, and I should add or a qualified electrician.

A registered qualified electrician would be the only person able to to answer your question and hopefully explain some of the electrical licensing laws and liability regarding work which I can assure you is very different from the UK.

Myself having seen far too much buck passing and litigation for even the smallest matters I would still say check first!!

As for interperatation of legal disclaimers on plug packets see a solicitor I still reckon they aint put there for nothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.