Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Got my California driver's License....

Got my California driver's License....

Old Oct 1st 2004, 11:47 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Got my California driver's License....

Got it yesterday. Well, my temporary one at least. Waheyyyy. It's official, I CAN drive around the block in a straight line!
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 12:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got my California driver's License....

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Got it yesterday. Well, my temporary one at least. Waheyyyy. It's official, I CAN drive around the block in a straight line!
nice...so how longs the temp for?
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 12:45 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
nice...so how longs the temp for?
It says it's an Interim Driver's License (aaarrghhh! with an 's' not a 'c')

It expires on 11-28-04
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Location: Originally from Tahiti married in California currently living in Florida
eimeo is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats !!!

Hey where are you located in Cali ?
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 1:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It says it's an Interim Driver's License (aaarrghhh! with an 's' not a 'c')

It expires on 11-28-04
Not a long 'ne then...how come so short? ead related or somin?
still yet to bother myself, but then UK one good fora year in maine...
well until get greencard, then have 30 days, that's what i was told, that's what I'm sticking to...and can't see paying for a new license if i end up in a new state and all that...only need it to get booze anyway...
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Location: Originally from Tahiti married in California currently living in Florida

Originally Posted by Bob
Not a long 'ne then...how come so short? ead related or somin?
still yet to bother myself, but then UK one good fora year in maine...
well until get greencard, then have 30 days, that's what i was told, that's what I'm sticking to...and can't see paying for a new license if i end up in a new state and all that...only need it to get booze anyway...
It is a temporary one, it is just a piece a paper until her actual card comes in the mail.
She should get the actual card in about 2 weeks.
If the temporary one expires before she gets the actual card she would have to go back to the DMV to see what's up.
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 1:51 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

I keep wondering about the US driving test. is it really that easy compared to an Irish or UK driving test? Seems a lot of people here have been passed by just doing a very short test VERY unlike the Irish test that I took over 20 years ago.

I often think about having to retake a full test here and it makes me VERY nervous.

Patrick
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
I keep wondering about the US driving test. is it really that easy compared to an Irish or UK driving test? Seems a lot of people here have been passed by just doing a very short test VERY unlike the Irish test that I took over 20 years ago.

I often think about having to retake a full test here and it makes me VERY nervous.

Patrick
Mine was really short, just have to go through stops, stop lights, intersection, change lane, I think that's about it, I didn't even have to go on the freeway altough they might ask you to do it if your testing is near one.

Compare to the French license it was really easy, I think european license are way more difficult to get, but you also get it for life and there are basically no round abouts in the US either...
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 2:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Patrick
depends on the states...supposedly maine is a tougher one...wouldn't think it by the quality of the drivers here though...
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 2:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by eimeo
Compare to the French license it was really easy, I think european license are way more difficult to get, but you also get it for life and there are basically no round abouts in the US either...
showhegan...the entire town is a round about...and there are some nightmare ones' in augusta, not quite as bad as hemel hempstead though...
certainly rare...people don't know what to do with them, i;ve seen a couple people just drive through with their eyes closed....very scarey...
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
showhegan...the entire town is a round about...and there are some nightmare ones' in augusta, not quite as bad as hemel hempstead though...
certainly rare...people don't know what to do with them, i;ve seen a couple people just drive through with their eyes closed....very scarey...
This is definitely scary.
In Tahiti they began building round abouts about 4 years ago, there were absolutely none before and there are some everywhere now !!!
So you can imagine with all the people that got their licenses without learning about them it is really scary, they go in the wrong lane, don't exit when they ...
I am really amazed that there are not more accidents !!!
They actually built one the wron way (wrong inclinaison) and a truck took it too fast and rolled over.

As for California no round abouts their so it is pretty easy !
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 4:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

As for California no round abouts their so it is pretty easy !
More traffic lights though, and there annoying, always red as I get to them, as if someone's watching me and "oh, it's him again, lets go red"...
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
More traffic lights though, and there annoying, always red as I get to them, as if someone's watching me and "oh, it's him again, lets go red"...
It seems like it someday (especially when you are late), but hey I'd rather be late than never arrive
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I keep wondering about the US driving test. is it really that easy compared to an Irish or UK driving test?
As an amusing aside... when Sheila moved from Michigan to Kentucky, she had to take both a written test and a road test before she got a KY license. When I moved from Canada to KY, I wasn't asked to take a road test or a written test - not even an eye exam! I showed the lady my NS license and she gave me a KY one! Go figure!

Ian
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 1:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

It seems like it someday (especially when you are late), but hey I'd rather be late than never arrive
very true...lights still suck when you see a row of 'em all turning red just for you though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.