Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hot weather getting me down!

Hot weather getting me down!

Old Feb 7th 2004, 3:32 am
Merlot

Default Hot weather getting me down!

Looking at the weather channel, seems like the whole of Oz is having a hot one.

I'm fed up as too hot to move around or even go out for a walk! We don't have aircon.

How can you keep fit in the outdoors in this weather????? I am feeling stodgy & drained. Suppose I should set my alarm to 4.00 am.

How do others cope???

Too hot Merlot

Old Feb 7th 2004, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Andy Pandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hot weather getting me down!

Originally posted by Merlot

I'm fed up as too hot to move around or even go out for a walk! We don't have aircon.

How can you keep fit in the outdoors in this weather????? I am feeling stodgy & drained. Suppose I should set my alarm to 4.00 am.

How do others cope???

Too hot Merlot

Hi Merlot,
My family in Arizona, many moons ago used to hang up wet blankets by the doors and windows at night and this used to cool the air inside, anyway you will soon cool down once back in the UK.
Andrew
Old Feb 7th 2004, 3:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

How do others cope???

Too hot Merlot

We just went for a snorkel at Ben Buckler. Very cooling. It is about 33 here. What is it around your way?
Old Feb 7th 2004, 3:51 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

How do others cope???

Too hot Merlot

Drink hot un-sweetened tea - make you sweat instead of puffing up.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Adelaide currently 40 degrees...

we got up early to go to the market, did what we had to do come home and have lounged around all day with th eaircon on. I like having days like this, as it makes you stay in and do things you put off when its too nice to stay in!!...bit like ain in UK ,...LOL
Old Feb 7th 2004, 4:05 am
Merlot

Default Bloody Hot!

It says 34 degrees but very humid.

Filled up the paddling pool in the garden - poor man's swimming pool.

I have no car now (sold it) as returning to the UK, otherwise I would be at the beach for a swim later. Hubby has taken the other car so trapped!!!!

Erkkkk (as Pants would say).

Roll on floods and driving wind! (From the sky not your butt!)

Merlot

Old Feb 7th 2004, 6:38 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its not even particularly hot here in Brisbane today .

Actually hoping its warmer tommorrow as we are off to the local waterpark for the boys birthday party
Old Feb 7th 2004, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

How do others cope???

Too hot Merlot

You've just got to get used to it, mind you it's a bit late for you if you are going back.
Went walking in National Park this morning, after 2 hours getting lost in pretty open shrubland decided I wouldn't be able to make it to the beach I was heading for, so turned around and went back to the beach by the ferry. Spend 3 hours sun baking and swimming in the pretty sheltered harbor before catching the ferry back to Cronulla.

For me this climate is great, but then everyone to his own tastes.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

I'm also fed up because of the weather. Not because it's hot but because it's been raining almost every day since last October.

There has been a puddle permanently in the middle of our lawn for a couple of months that just wont go away and the ground is so soft you have to wear wellies if you venture off a hard surface.

The inside of our house is getting a bit tiresome now.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:22 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by migrantoz
I'm also fed up because of the weather. Not because it's hot but because it's been raining almost every day since last October.

There has been a puddle permanently in the middle of our lawn for a couple of months that just wont go away and the ground is so soft you have to wear wellies if you venture off a hard surface.

The inside of our house is getting a bit tiresome now.
Migrant sounjds a bit like the winter of 2000 when I was over there. In the first 6 weeks I was there, there were only 3 days without rain :scared: .
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:43 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Migrant sounjds a bit like the winter of 2000 when I was over there. In the first 6 weeks I was there, there were only 3 days without rain :scared: .
Yeah, after 4 days of torrential rain, we now have a new visual amenity - a lovely new lake in the yard. Must get the realtor to wax lyrical about it in the house sale spec Look on the bright side....

Actually, not so bright for the people down the lane, who are all sandbagged up now

The forecast for the weekend is cold, so who knows it may turn into snow.

Anya.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:51 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by anya4oz
Yeah, after 4 days of torrential rain, we now have a new visual amenity - a lovely new lake in the yard. Must get the realtor to wax lyrical about it in the house sale spec Look on the bright side....

Actually, not so bright for the people down the lane, who are all sandbagged up now

The forecast for the weekend is cold, so who knows it may turn into snow.

Anya.
Trust me, you havent seen torrential rain til you've seen a good storm in Oz .
Old Feb 7th 2004, 9:21 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

How do others cope???

Too hot Merlot

Great excuse for a dip in me pool!

Either that or we fill up the rear of badgers ute with ice and stubbies and hop in, keeps you cool for ages!!
I'm lovin it
Old Feb 7th 2004, 10:47 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Trust me, you havent seen torrential rain til you've seen a good storm in Oz .
Brill! Actually I love extreme weather of any kind, so will look forward to it.

The most boring thing about living in LA was that the weather was more or less the same everyday - sunny, warm etc. with no daily/weekly variations for what seemed like months on end.... *yawn*

Anya.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 12:55 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by anya4oz

The most boring thing about living in LA was that the weather was more or less the same everyday - sunny, warm etc. with no daily/weekly variations for what seemed like months on end.... *yawn*

Anya.
Bit like that here in Perth....sunny, hot 33+ everyday, no variation

Merlot:.... I know what you mean about no air con!!! We haven't got it either. When it's really bad (yes bad) 34+ we tend to go to the beach and swim, far more refreshing. As you say you have no car so a bit difficult if you don't live right on the sand!!

I think it's the same as people feel about rain/cold in the UK, it gets you down there and the heat gets us down here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.