Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Moving back to England was a mistake

Moving back to England was a mistake

Old Nov 25th 2003, 2:35 am
Just Joined

goldy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to England was a mistake

We returned to England after 3 years living in the south of France. It has been a complete nightmare being back here and I'm afraid to say England is not the England that I grew up to know and love.

For those of you planning to return to England after a few years, you don't realise that things here have deteriorated quite markedly while you have been away.

Reasons why we will never live in England again and are already planning our escape:

(1) How much time do we waste stuck in traffic? On the M25? It really is a joke.

(2) We are worried about the safety of our children. You read stories all the time about crime rising. On the news the other day was a feature explaining how crime is alot worse here in most categories than in the USA!

(3) People here are not friendly. Noone offers to help round here anymore - not like back when I was a child. England has become an uptight, cold country where people's only concern is to rush around looking after their own interests.

(4) Illegal immigrants have got out of control and are wanting all sorts of things at the cost of taxpayers.

(5) You spend so long travelling to beaches yet when you get to them most have rubbish, needles and are very unattractive places to visit. Pathetic really.

(6) The weather. For 9 months of the year it's cold and miserable.

(7) Now they're worried about terrorism threats. Bin Laden has named England as a target and my guess is the unthinkable will happen here sooner or later.

(8) Cost of housing is astranomical. For those of you returning to England, you'll be in for a huge shock and will probably have to buy in a crime-infested area.

Last edited by goldy; Nov 25th 2003 at 2:44 am.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving back to England was a mistake

Originally posted by goldy
We returned to England after 3 years living in the south of France. It has been a complete nightmare being back here and I'm afraid to say England is not the England that I grew up to know and love.

For those of you planning to return to England after a few years, you don't realise that things here have deteriorated quite markedly while you have been away.

Reasons why we will never live in England again and are already planning our escape:

(1) How much time do we waste stuck in traffic? On the M25? It really is a joke.

(2) We are worried about the safety of our children. You read stories all the time about crime rising. On the news the other day was a feature explaining how crime is alot worse here in most categories than in the USA!

(3) People here are not friendly. Noone offers to help round here anymore - not like back when I was a child. England has become an uptight, cold country where people's only concern is to rush around looking after their own interests.

(4) Illegal immigrants have got out of control and are wanting all sorts of things at the cost of taxpayers.

(5) You spend so long travelling to beaches yet when you get to them most have rubbish, needles and are very unattractive places to visit. Pathetic really.

(7) Now they're worried about terrorism threats. Bin Laden has named England as a target and my guess is the unthinkable will happen here sooner or later.

(8) Cost of housing is astranomical. For those of you returning to England, you'll be in for a huge shock and will probably have to buy in a crime-infested area.

Yep I have to agree with the above!

I also went back to the UK in August 2001 after many years in Kenya, Hong Kong & Australia, and I really found things had changed quite a lot from what I remembered.

Not sure if the UK had changed or was it myself? Anyway, I lasted 10 months..........and I was then on my way again!

The biggest impact and change I found was the high levels of comsumer debt and the out of control house prices, surely this is going to come to a very messy end sooner or later?

Maybe this is why so many Brits are looking to 'escape' overseas and there are loads of TV programmes about moving abroad?

The UK suits a lot of people but I certainly didn't suit me!

Cheers

Old Nov 25th 2003, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

scottm is an unknown quantity at this point

You could move to Scotland!!!

Scottm
Old Nov 25th 2003, 6:13 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Oi - lets keep Scotland empty.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 7:26 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

I take it if you have only been away from England for three years that you must have seen much of what you are describing. Why did you leave in the first place? and what were your reasons for returning?

Some of your statements such as the England you grew up sound very nostalgic and reminicent of early childhood, if you are old enough to have children now, surely you don't remember the UK through rose coloured glasses after only three years away that that the reality of life there comes as such a shock.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Is this all in relation to France tho? I am moving back to UK from Australia and most of what you mentioned above is exactly the same here in Australia - terrorist target; dirty beaches with syringes et al; traffic chaos; astronoimical house prices; crime (Melbourne this week was deemed as being unsafer than New York, as was most of Australia). People here are for the most part looking out for themselves in the here and now...but where in the westernised world aren't they? In fact, the only thing we don't have a huge problem with is illegal immigrants. (Even the weather in Melbourne is comparable to the UK!!)

Every country is going to have it's down sides. You may have found your paradise in France, but that doesn't mean to say every other country is heaven in relation to the UK - I certainly know that Australia isn't.

What country are you thinking of moving to to escape the problems you listed?
Old Nov 25th 2003, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Meridian is an unknown quantity at this point

You actually believe what they write in the Daily Mail?!?!
Old Nov 25th 2003, 3:02 pm
Banned

fried_emu is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes but if you stay here long enough, you will be assimilated!!!!

I returned from Canada and it has been 3.5 years back in the UK. After the 3 year mark the wind seems to just go out of your sails. What you weren't willing to accept before becomes acceptable. You will lose the will to fight it after 3 years.

Mark my words!

Fried
Old Nov 25th 2003, 4:55 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Its not like this in the North of England, but sshh don't tell everyone
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by heading downunder 2002
Its not like this in the North of England, but sshh don't tell everyone

shhhh...I know....heading back to Cheshire in Dec....shhhhhh!
Old Nov 27th 2003, 9:06 am
Just Joined

BritinHK is an unknown quantity at this point

It has been a complete nightmare being back here and I'm afraid to say England is not the England that I grew up to know and love.
Goldy, I couldn't agree with you more. After living in Brunei for 3 years we returned to the UK. Hubby didn't want to, but I was homesick and I longed to return to my homeland (silly me!). Eventually he realized that I wasn't going to change my mind so we returned and bought a new house/car/furniture ... even a dog!! However, after only 3 months I realized what a huge mistake we had made (or should I say 'I made'!). We hated being back in the UK. We stayed for 2 years but couldn't stand it any longer. Luckily, hubby was offered a job in Hong Kong, so here we are.

We have lived in Hong Kong for 2.5 years with our two children, aged 11 and almost 15 years. I returned to the UK with the children during the summer holidays to visit our family and couldn't believe how much it had changed in such a short time. Even the kids said they wouldn't want to live there again! We come from quite a decent area in the Midlands (or what was once a decent area!) with open countryside on our doorstep. But I was sad to see how much it had deteriorated in our absence, with crime levels on the increase and a huge influx of immigrants/asylum seekers in the local town. I found it very unnerving walking around town and was warned by many people to hang onto my handbag as pickpocketing and muggings were rife.

My son, who has a lot of freedom in Hong Kong, admitted that he was worried when out and about with his friends in the UK ... and this was in broad daylight! He refused to travel on public transport alone for fear of being 'started upon'. As most people know, Hong Kong is a pretty crowded city, but crime levels are very low. Muggings, rapes, child abductions etc. are almost completely unheard of. The public transport is cheap, spotlessly clean and totally safe (except for the odd maniac mini bus driver!!). I have peace of mind that my children can go out with their friends and will be safe. One of my sons friends in the UK was recently mugged whilst walking home from school with a girlfriend ... that sort of thing simply doesn't happen here.

My kids both love school in Hong Kong ... there are kids from many different cultures, but racism is never an issue ... everyone gets on, unlike in the UK. Bullying in school is very rare, and dealt with swiftly and effectively if it occurs. Gangs and fighting in, or after school, simply does not happen ... unlike in the UK!

We still have our house in the UK, although it will probably never be our home again ... just a little bit of security if things don't work out as we hope they will. My husband says he never wants to work in the UK again and I hope for all our sakes that he's lucky enough not to have to ... but you never know what's around the corner.

My advice to anyone thinking of returning to the UK ... Don't make any long term plans or hasty decisions ... Try it out for a few months, maybe a year, before you finally decide. And if you are determined to go for it ... wait at least a year before you get a dog!!! ... It cost us a bl**dy fortune to fly her out to Hong Kong!!

Last edited by BritinHK; Nov 27th 2003 at 2:37 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 2:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by heading downunder 2002
Its not like this in the North of England, .....
No, (6) would read "The weather. For 11½ months of the year it's cold and miserable."

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 27th 2003 at 11:18 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

Interesting to read but I'm under no illusions that England will not be those things when we get there. I've lived here in NZ 11 years and want to see friends and family and old haunts (mountains in the Lake District, beaches in Scotland etc) but we can't afford to go on a holiday with 3 kids. It would be a nightmare, too much money to get there, no money to spend coz kiwi dollars would be pitiful over there, and jetlag, unsettled kids and other people's spare rooms. So we've decided to go and work for a year and see how we feel at the end of it. Deep down I hope we will enjoy it enough to stay longer but we will only rent our house out here in NZ so we can step back into it whenever we want.

But I'm pleased others have mentioned the northern thing. We intend to go north, maybe even the Highlands if we can find work, so how can you talk about London and commuting on the M25 and tell us it is how we will experience the UK when we return. We will drive out of Heathrow and not even look twice at the area you are describing. We want to go rural, quiet and friendly. I know there are still places like that in the UK, usually the places no-one else wants to live in. If you want friendly why didn't you try a nice tiny village in the Highlands. Because you want the money presumably. Well you can't have everything.

Just my 2 cents worth. But praps I'll be disappointed when we get there, I certainly have an open mind.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by BritinHK
Goldy, I couldn't agree with you more. After living in Brunei for 3 years we returned to the UK. Hubby didn't want to, but I was homesick and I longed to return to my homeland (silly me!). Eventually he realized that I wasn't going to change my mind so we returned and bought a new house/car/furniture ... even a dog!! However, after only 3 months I realized what a huge mistake we had made (or should I say 'I made'!). We hated being back in the UK. We stayed for 2 years but couldn't stand it any longer. Luckily, hubby was offered a job in Hong Kong, so here we are.

We have lived in Hong Kong for 2.5 years with our two children, aged 11 and almost 15 years. I returned to the UK with the children during the summer holidays to visit our family and couldn't believe how much it had changed in such a short time. Even the kids said they wouldn't want to live there again! We come from quite a decent area in the Midlands (or what was once a decent area!) with open countryside on our doorstep. But I was sad to see how much it had deteriorated in our absence, with crime levels on the increase and a huge influx of immigrants/asylum seekers in the local town. I found it very unnerving walking around town and was warned by many people to hang onto my handbag as pickpocketing and muggings were rife.

My son, who has a lot of freedom in Hong Kong, admitted that he was worried when out and about with his friends in the UK ... and this was in broad daylight! He refused to travel on public transport alone for fear of being 'started upon'. As most people know, Hong Kong is a pretty crowded city, but crime levels are very low. Muggings, rapes, child abductions etc. are almost completely unheard of. The public transport is cheap, spotlessly clean and totally safe (except for the odd maniac mini bus driver!!). I have peace of mind that my children can go out with their friends and will be safe. One of my sons friends in the UK was recently mugged whilst walking home from school with a girlfriend ... that sort of thing simply doesn't happen here.

My kids both love school in Hong Kong ... there are kids from many different cultures, but racism is never an issue ... everyone gets on, unlike in the UK. Bullying in school is very rare, and dealt with swiftly and effectively if it occurs. Gangs and fighting in, or after school, simply does not happen ... unlike in the UK!

We still have our house in the UK, although it will probably never be our home again ... just a little bit of security if things don't work out as we hope they will. My husband says he never wants to work in the UK again and I hope for all our sakes that he's lucky enough not to have to ... but you never know what's around the corner.

My advice to anyone thinking of returning to the UK ... Don't make any long term plans or hasty decisions ... Try it out for a few months, maybe a year, before you finally decide. And if you are determined to go for it ... wait at least a year before you get a dog!!! ... It cost us a bl**dy fortune to fly her out to Hong Kong!!

Yep! The above is all true.

Hong Kong does also have some problems though, pollution being the main one........today is particuarly bad! (Can't see clearly across the Harbour today).

However, it is safe, public transport is great, tax is low and you never get any trouble from anyone!

Given the choice between living in the UK or Hong Kong, give me HK any time..........................hang-on, I already live here!

Cheers
Old Nov 28th 2003, 7:15 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by DaisyNZ
Interesting to read but I'm under no illusions that England will not be those things when we get there. I've lived here in NZ 11 years and want to see friends and family and old haunts (mountains in the Lake District, beaches in Scotland etc) but we can't afford to go on a holiday with 3 kids. It would be a nightmare, too much money to get there, no money to spend coz kiwi dollars would be pitiful over there, and jetlag, unsettled kids and other people's spare rooms. So we've decided to go and work for a year and see how we feel at the end of it. Deep down I hope we will enjoy it enough to stay longer but we will only rent our house out here in NZ so we can step back into it whenever we want.

But I'm pleased others have mentioned the northern thing. We intend to go north, maybe even the Highlands if we can find work, so how can you talk about London and commuting on the M25 and tell us it is how we will experience the UK when we return. We will drive out of Heathrow and not even look twice at the area you are describing. We want to go rural, quiet and friendly. I know there are still places like that in the UK, usually the places no-one else wants to live in. If you want friendly why didn't you try a nice tiny village in the Highlands. Because you want the money presumably. Well you can't have everything.

Just my 2 cents worth. But praps I'll be disappointed when we get there, I certainly have an open mind.
Having farmed the last 5 years, before coming to NZ, in the Highlands on the edge of the Cairngorms i have to inform you that you will be dissapointed.Crime is out of control, drugs are rife and people are fed up.If it isn't fastened down it will walk.Its the same all over Scotland and England.The rat race and pressure is as present in remote Scottish towns as it is in London.Only the really older generation are still in the past,everyone else is out for what they can get.A friend we met over here in NZ is a teacher and she went to the UK for a longer term working holiday.All the things i said about the UK sounded awful and she laughed at it.She did however return early, having never left NZ before in 50 years.She said all i told here was utterly true.She was horrified it was so bad.So few people were friendly,the kids were beyond help, she was run off her bicycle,the costs of living were beyond a teachers wage in the UK and most of all there was no clean air to breathe anywhere.I felt quite ashamed of what i used to think of as home.Some people do like that sort of enviroment mind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.