Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did your worm look like this? (Dotty)

Did your worm look like this? (Dotty)

Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:27 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Did your worm look like this? (Dotty)

Originally posted by Florida_03
Sorry...but no fish I know of would touch 'em. I do believe they morph into the Brown Cockchafer beetle.

You know you have lived in Brisbane when you have been attacked by a squadron of these at night.

As a kid I used to get a reel of sewing cotton. Tie a slip knot in the end of the cotton and catch a brown beetle. Hold one of his legs out and drop the slip knot over his leg and draw it up gently. Now unwind about 3 feet of cotton and start swinging it slowly around you like you do with a control-line model plane. Eventually the beetle starts flying and you stop swinging and now you just guide him around the house like a remote control model.

Great fun (try more VB if it doesn't seem funny enough).
cheers for that, yes plenty of beatles around.Pity I thought they looked as if they could be great bait for yellowbelly and bass (been trying a spot of freshwater (Dam) fishing with some luck... worms and live freshwater prawns)

what you drank VB as a kid..lol
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:37 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
cheers for that, yes plenty of beatles around.Pity I thought they looked as if they could be great bait for yellowbelly and bass (been trying a spot of freshwater (Dam) fishing with some luck... worms and live freshwater prawns)

what you drank VB as a kid..lol
Can't go wrong with the worms. The old yellowbelly are pretty dumb and a fat 'ol worm will do it, nothing exotic required. Good luck with the bass. In all my years of fishing they were the most difficult.

Christmas beetles must be due soon. I love the wildlife of an outdoors Christmas party in Brisbane...guess I'll make do with the love bugs in Florida...only a few weeks now...so...

Merry Christmas...
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I was just about to bite into me salad roll and up pops a dottys worm post, nearly fell off me seat

But yep certainly looks like the worm we have, except ours are more translucent, perhaps thats cause it was so wet. Ya cant deny the beasties are bigger in OZ :scared: Any new arrivals kiddies fancy starting a worm farm
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:42 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Florida_03
Can't go wrong with the worms. The old yellowbelly are pretty dumb and a fat 'ol worm will do it, nothing exotic required. Good luck with the bass. In all my years of fishing they were the most difficult.

Christmas beetles must be due soon. I love the wildlife of an outdoors Christmas party in Brisbane...guess I'll make do with the love bugs in Florida...only a few weeks now...so...

Merry Christmas...
North pine dam.. bass -worms, caught a few on our first go..They seemed to be in plague propotions, the dam water level is quite low at the moment , small ones mind you. Also a legal size Yellowbelly on live prawns. .. haven't got that pic on this computer, only this one below

here..my very first Bass.
Attached Thumbnails Did your worm look like this? (Dotty)-fish1-2.jpg  
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:45 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by dotty
I was just about to bite into me salad roll and up pops a dottys worm post, nearly fell off me seat

But yep certainly looks like the worm we have, except ours are more translucent, perhaps thats cause it was so wet. Ya cant deny the beasties are bigger in OZ :scared: Any new arrivals kiddies fancy starting a worm farm
Is my worm is bigger than yours? lol

Actually this is one of the smaller ones, the only one I managed to get a pic of .. fast little s*ds

It's a blind snake ... related to a lizard in other words
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Suppose I should ask, do they bite, poison like a snake or anything or just something else I should ignore as I wander through me garden

My brother (London born bred with occasional trip to New York type) was hilarious when he saw where we lived, he flatly refused to walk in the gardens unless he had shoes on even then he looked nervous, as for eating outside (we went down the riverfront) he thought it was disgusting, ants, flies, cockroaches, beetles, sandflies, poor bloke never did come back.
Funny thing was tho he would sit in the sun for hours, which was far more likely to kill him anyway
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:47 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

North pine dam.. bass -worms, caught a few on our first go..They seemed to be in plague propotions, the dam water level is quite low at the moment , small ones mind you. Also a legal size Yellowbelly on live prawns. .. haven't got that pic on this computer, only this one below

Good one ceri...the dam stocking is coming good.

The wild ones are basically now extinct...
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:56 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by dotty
Suppose I should ask, do they bite, poison like a snake or anything or just something else I should ignore as I wander through me garden

My brother (London born bred with occasional trip to New York type) was hilarious when he saw where we lived, he flatly refused to walk in the gardens unless he had shoes on even then he looked nervous, as for eating outside (we went down the riverfront) he thought it was disgusting, ants, flies, cockroaches, beetles, sandflies, poor bloke never did come back.
Funny thing was tho he would sit in the sun for hours, which was far more likely to kill him anyway
They are harmless..there are also blind snakes in Britain too (there is a load in S.Wales - gower I've found quite a few in the past .. along with the poisonous adders), not this type of species mind you.
They are just a lizard, often mistaken for a snake.. they feed off little grubs, beatles, worms.. small pests which you get in the dirt.

Yes it was quite an eventful trip to the dam .. been there three times .. twice we basically pulling them out every say 15 to 20 minutes.. third trip.. nothing. All were released.

I've actually never been freshwater fishing before.. hubby used to be the mad keen freshwater fisho in Britain... but this was a first for him too in Aus (more of a salt water fisho myself)

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 12th 2003 at 2:01 am.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:45 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Nice fish! Thats actually not a bad size for an Australian Bass.

Bass are meant to be pretty good on lures, might be worth a try? The soft plastics are cheap and supposedly work wonders.