Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transfer from the RAF to the RAAF

Transfer from the RAF to the RAAF

Old May 29th 2003, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

JohnD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer from the RAF to the RAAF

Is it still possible to transfer from the Royal Air Force to the Royal Australian Air Force.

I heard that this was possible a couple of years ago. Does anybody have any information on ths?

Regards,

John
Old May 30th 2003, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Transfer from the RAF to the RAAF

Originally posted by JohnD
Is it still possible to transfer from the Royal Air Force to the Royal Australian Air Force.

I heard that this was possible a couple of years ago. Does anybody have any information on ths?

Regards,

John

Hi John,

Just did a quick scan using the 'net - couldn't find a direct answer to your question, but a found a couple of web sites that might useful to you...

RAAF website

http://www.raaf.gov.au/

General info on applying for RAAF jobs

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/career.../RAAFMain.html

and

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/career...nInfobody.html

Best to contact them directly and ask

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/functi...ry/enquiry.cfm

Good luck,
AndyH
Old May 30th 2003, 8:07 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Regards,

John
John,

Don't know about the RAF but we've been looking at my husband joining the RAN when he comes out of the RN in 2005. I don't know whether it's done by way of a transfer though.....We've been told that he would have to sign up for 6 years but could give notice after 3. If you want I could give you the name of the person we've been speaking to in the RAN - he may know his RAAF equivalent?

Nicola
Old May 30th 2003, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Regards,

John
You'll have to be an Australian citizen. Why won't the RAF and RAAF tell you ?
Old May 30th 2003, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Port Talbot, South Wales to Ascot Vale, Melbourne
jonah66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Regards,

John
Hi John

You must have a PR visa. Below is taken from `Officer entry requirements'.

Citizenship Requirement
Citizenship requirements will be met, for Full-time and Part-time applicants, if any of the following apply:

You are an Australian citizen;

You are a permanent resident who can provide a DIMA receipt to prove you have applied for Australian citizenship. (A permanent resident is generally eligible to apply for citizenship after two years. A permanent resident married to an Australian can apply immediately); or

You are a permanent resident who is not eligible to apply for Australian citizenship but are prepared to sign an undertaking to apply after completing 90 days service in the ADF. (Permanent residents become eligible to apply for citizenship on completion of 90 days service in the ADF). Note that this option is not available to applicants for the Reserve.

A permanent resident who enters the ADF will have their service terminated if they subsequently:

fail to apply for citizenship when eligible to do so;

are not offered citizenship; or

fail to accept citizenship when it is offered.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Old May 30th 2003, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jonah66
Hi John

You must have a PR visa. Below is taken from `Officer entry requirements'.

Citizenship Requirement
Citizenship requirements will be met, for Full-time and Part-time applicants, if any of the following apply:

You are an Australian citizen;

You are a permanent resident who can provide a DIMA receipt to prove you have applied for Australian citizenship. (A permanent resident is generally eligible to apply for citizenship after two years. A permanent resident married to an Australian can apply immediately); or

You are a permanent resident who is not eligible to apply for Australian citizenship but are prepared to sign an undertaking to apply after completing 90 days service in the ADF. (Permanent residents become eligible to apply for citizenship on completion of 90 days service in the ADF). Note that this option is not available to applicants for the Reserve.

A permanent resident who enters the ADF will have their service terminated if they subsequently:

fail to apply for citizenship when eligible to do so;

are not offered citizenship; or

fail to accept citizenship when it is offered.

Hope this helps.

Regards
So I cannot get a job with a certain Brisbane IT company because I am not an Australian Citizen and it is 'against the national interest' but I can join the Australian army straight away.

Someone tell me this is a wind-up please !!!!
Old May 30th 2003, 9:07 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by etlniwd
You'll have to be an Australian citizen. Why won't the RAF and RAAF tell you ?
If my husband's application to the RAN is successful they will pay for his PR visa application together with all removal/relocation expenses. He will then be obliged to take citizenship after one year instead of the usual 2. The ADF have a special labour agreement with DIMIA I belive.
Old May 30th 2003, 9:11 am
Account Closed

So I cannot get a job with a certain Brisbane IT company because I am not an Australian Citizen and it is 'against the national interest' but I can join the Australian army straight away.

No - you have to appreciate that the distinction is that my hubby and John will be effectively transferring from another armed force and will already have military training etc. If my hubby left the RN, went to Aus and applied for the job you're referring to, he would get exactly the same response as you i.e. you're not an Australian citizen and don't have the appropriate security clearance. Bummer I know
Old May 30th 2003, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

U only need a PR visa to work ..... u don't have to be an Australian citizen ..... & it was the Air Force & not the Army!!

Old May 30th 2003, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jonah66
U only need a PR visa to work ..... u don't have to be an Australian citizen ..... & it was the Air Force & not the Army!!

Not true in many cases I'm afraid. Since when has the army not been part of the ADF then ?

The point I'm trying to make is that I am considered a threat to national security if, as a non-Australian citizen, I am employed as an IT project manager in certain Australian companies. However, I am not considered a threat to national security if I am a non-Australian in the Australian Air Force (or army or navy).

Why being behind a desk makes me a threat and being behind a tomahawk missile does not make me a threat I will never know.
Old May 30th 2003, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Not true in many cases I'm afraid. Since when has the army not been part of the ADF then ?
The original question was about the RAAF.

The point I'm trying to make is that I am considered a threat to national security if, as a non-Australian citizen, I am employed as an IT project manager in certain Australian companies. However, I am not considered a threat to national security if I am a non-Australian in the Australian Air Force (or army or navy).

Why being behind a desk makes me a threat and being behind a tomahawk missile does not make me a threat I will never know.
I agree with u.