Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Auto Insurance

Auto Insurance

Old Feb 4th 2003, 3:42 am
Just Joined

TimTaylor@roger is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Auto Insurance

Does anyone out there know of a good broker that can get me a reasonable Auto insurance. I've been in Canada for nearly a year. Have been surviving on one car. Now need another.

I have been paying 3700 per annum for auto insurance of a VW Jetta (2.0 ltr). Its not a sporty version or anything (flat 4).

I now want another car for my wife. We have been looking at 2000 dodge caravans. With the Jetta and the caravan we got quoted $6500 per year!!!!!!!!! ........ duhhh

Reason is I cant find a company that will take my no claims history from the UK (8 yeards worth). BHest I can get is a 2 star rating which says is equivalent to me having been driving for two years with no insurance claim.

There MUST be an insurance company out there who's gona take into account immigrants with auto history from another country. Its OUTRAGOUS that they kill us for this. I do have no claims proof for the last 8 years in the UK.

$6500 is just rediculous. They are having a laugh at my expense. I could nearly buy another car for that much money. Someone somewhere must know something.

The only thing I may try is to see if I can get insurance again in the UK on my mums car say, but throough a Canadian based insurance company (in the UK) or one that also oporates in Canada and pay the £250 per year one off payment. Keep it for six months and then ask for it to get transfered to
Canada? Anyone try this?

HELP. This is driving me nuts and is putting yet another downer on my attempt to settle here.

Maybe I should try Auz (been there and came back, god knows why!)
Old Feb 4th 2003, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

We are using Johnson Insurance. And currently it is around $1500 which isn't so bad. We have only been here since November. We have a 1998 Mercury Sable.

We are having a bit of a problem though currently as they are saying that they may raise our premium as the underwriters won't insure us. We are having to find proof of our no claims history, but as you have that it should be okay for you.
Old Feb 5th 2003, 11:52 am
Just Joined

TimTaylor@roger is an unknown quantity at this point

You should be able to contact your insurance company (im assuming its in the UK) and ask for a letter.

Tim