Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

American would love advice re:moving to England

American would love advice re:moving to England

Old Mar 16th 2012, 7:38 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice
Default Re: American would love advice re:moving to England

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
So when you said this was a massive problem, you were assuming it would be one day based on your (so far unfounded) own assumptions and then when presented with evidence that there isn't actually a problem, you just say 'give it time.'

Are you sure you don't work for The Daily Mail?
You are hilarious
Old Mar 16th 2012, 11:43 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sile
I am thinking of packing up myself and my dog and moving to England. I am a single woman in her 50's, self employed and looking for a place that will feel like home. I have never been there but I feel that it well may be that place. I have read, studied, Googled, youtubed, and I am not just coming up with the idea...I have thought about it for years, and now is as good a time as any.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experience to share with me about this kind of relocation.

People have suggested, and understandably so, that I vacation there first, but I wonder if I shouldn't just go for it.

Any thoughts?
I moved there from Canada for a number of years. One of the biggest differences you'll notice at first is that everything will look smaller. As a North American you may have different expectations regarding personal space. Streets are narrower, homes are smaller etc.

I found some dogs to be a bit short tempered when I was out walking in the UK. I was bitten in the back of the leg (unprovoked) on at least one occassion. I haven't encountered this in Canada so far.

I'd highly recommend a visit there first to check out areas you'd like to live.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Foxes scream; they sound like a female screaming. They always do that at night and the early hours of the morning!

You won't hear many foxes in the countryside as the farmers' control the numbers, but in cities and towns, the councils are very poor at fox control. The little scavenger type foxes that use to reside in cities are now being replaced by big blooming predator type foxes that have moved in from the countryside. Some of those are 16" and bold as brass; one passed me in the street in broad daylight! A lot have mange too.

Oh and we have heartworm (called French heartworm) in England now, or otherwise known as lungworm. The vet surgeries have been giving out lots of warnings that this is now in the UK. It got into the south west and then moved across the county to London and the rest of the south of England.
It can't be quite as bad as we had foxes in our garden back home and I never noticed it; or maybe the coyotes just seem less familiar and therefore notice them more.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

robbo462003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Sile,
I`ve been reading your posts here with interest your experiences where you live would not suit me at all.But then I have lived in the Midlands in the UK all my life and enjoyed the free NHS service no doctors bills for consultations and now I am turned 60 no prescription charges ,free bus pass when i was 60,(never use cause i still drive a car everywhere) plus £200 a year tax free Winter Fuel allowance from the government and now just started receiving my state pension although I am still working full-time.The NHS is to my mind the Gold Plated Benefit when compared to the US and many other countries.Even with all the above I am considering moving out of the UK as it is too expensive to live on a pension.If you have independent means I think you would love the UK as you can choose where to live, apart from the run-down high unemployment areas the UK I think, is pretty safe.No out-of control gun usage like the U S.Hope my thoughts help.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Newfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to all
Post Re: American would love advice re:moving to England

Originally Posted by robbo462003
Hello Sile,
I`ve been reading your posts here with interest your experiences where you live would not suit me at all.But then I have lived in the Midlands in the UK all my life and enjoyed the free NHS service no doctors bills for consultations and now I am turned 60 no prescription charges ,free bus pass when i was 60,(never use cause i still drive a car everywhere) plus £200 a year tax free Winter Fuel allowance from the government and now just started receiving my state pension although I am still working full-time.The NHS is to my mind the Gold Plated Benefit when compared to the US and many other countries.Even with all the above I am considering moving out of the UK as it is too expensive to live on a pension.If you have independent means I think you would love the UK as you can choose where to live, apart from the run-down high unemployment areas the UK I think, is pretty safe.No out-of control gun usage like the U S.Hope my thoughts help.
I wouldn't complain if I had a life like that in the UK. Sounds wonderful compared to the life here in the US, also better than the life my dad has in Portugal. I would think seriously about moving to another country - maybe I would think about moving to another part of the UK instead. Just a suggestion!
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

So when you said this was a massive problem, you were assuming it would be one day based on your (so far unfounded) own assumptions and then when presented with evidence that there isn't actually a problem, you just say 'give it time.'
Did you miss the bit about a 16% drop this year?

Are you sure you don't work for The Daily Mail?
You do realise that the Daily Express is worse than the Dail Mail, don't you? They came out with a corker of an anti EU header last week.

Did you read about the Daily Mail on a forum somewhere and thought that was correct?

Are you from Yorkshire?

Last edited by formula; Mar 17th 2012 at 3:35 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
I found some dogs to be a bit short tempered when I was out walking in the UK. I was bitten in the back of the leg (unprovoked) on at least one occassion. I haven't encountered this in Canada so far.
You should have reported them. I was a witness to a dog biting a person and the case went to court. The police were very thorough and won the case.

The new Dog Control Bill is going through parliament and that will also make it illegal to fail to control a dog that is showing aggression or is aggressive, to other dogs or other animals. Easier rules to cease these dogs too. Hopefully this will finally bring in the "ban the deed and not the breed" that owners of well behaved dogs want.

Last edited by formula; Mar 17th 2012 at 3:23 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that is a drop in numbers - but I was questioning your original point that Scotland is taking up the slack in those numbers - as you suggested....

Well that's one way of looking at it. Scotland is now getting all the EEA citizens looking for free university, because England's home fees are too high.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebs
Yes, that is a drop in numbers - but I was questioning your original point that Scotland is taking up the slack in those numbers - as you suggested....
I already answered that. A lot of non-UKs seem to think that the UK is England and don't realise it is 4 counties; and that those countries have different rules.
i.e Scotland has free university.

I believe other EU countries have free university too, but most non-UKs seem to have English as a second language (or even as their first language). Hence why the UK and Ireland put the 3 year residence rule in for home fees and other EU countries didn't.

Last edited by formula; Mar 17th 2012 at 3:34 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I already answered that. A lot of non-UKs seem to think that the UK is England and don't realise it is 4 counties; and that those countries have different rules.
i.e Scotland has free university.
OK - so you are saying that you believe EU students are not applying to Scotland because those EU students are not aware that Scotland has different rules to England.

Fair enough, I think I understand your opinion now
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
1500 squid a year to go to Dutch uni's and free in Germany, and plenty of universities in those countries were offering courses in English so language wouldn't be a issue.
I read that other EU countries were free too, not just Germany. Mayor Boris made the comment that England should get a rebate from the EU because of all the students coming to London! The raise in home fees has caused a significant drop.

Last edited by formula; Mar 17th 2012 at 4:02 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebs
OK - so you are saying that you believe EU students are not applying to Scotland because those EU students are not aware that Scotland has different rules to England.

Fair enough, I think I understand your opinion now
I remember my Aussie friend shouting "come on the Brits" during an England rugby game. All this Britain (Britannia - England and Wales), Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales), GB and NI, and the United Kingdom, is confusing.

Last edited by formula; Mar 17th 2012 at 4:08 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised that you're being suggested oxford and Chester and bath in England, but Glasgow in Scotland. I live in Glasgow, and really don't like it. I don't feel ay all safe here, its dirty, and I'm not familiar with the glaswegian friendliness everyone always mentions! If you're looking for quiet, some nice scenery etc then Glasgow is not the place. Personally I love Edinburgh, it is a stunning city. Problem is its expensive. Stirling is quite nice, as is Perth. If you're thinking about Scotland and work location is not an issue I'd suggest looking at smaller towns. There are lots of lovely areas; the west coast, the borders, the trossachs, the highlands. But you'd have to visit first because there are a lot of poorer, more run down towns as well.
I've travelled a lot, seen quite a lot of Europe and the usa, and I'd recommend almost anywhere over Glasgow lol
Old Mar 18th 2012, 12:29 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

No, but your original hypothesis was that EU immigrants would flood into Scotland because of free tuition. When it turned out that wasn't happening, you mentioned the tangential statistic of a 16% drop in England and then asserted that eventually you'd be proven right. I'm always wary of assumptions about "foreigners" taking advantage unless there's evidence that it's actually happening and in this case, there isn't.

You do realise that the Daily Express is worse than the Dail Mail, don't you? Did you read about the Daily Mail on a forum somewhere and thought that was correct?
I wish my knowledge of that idiotic rag was limited to reading about it on a forum, but sadly not. It's big in my family, so whenever I'm home, I'm exposed to it - and even when I'm not, I get snippets of their crap over the phone. Thankfully they don't read The Express or I'm sure I would feel the same way about it.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sile

Ive only just left the UK for the US (6 months ago) so quiet up todate on things.

Is it possible for you to give us a picture of what type of lifestyle you want in the UK, e.g city, village, nightlife or country walks, forests or beaches. All of this will effect the area you live in, especially your finances as some areas of the UK are very expensive compared to others.

We could help alittle bit more with a little more insight into your requirements.

If it helps Im from the Northwest (lake district), but live in Lincolnshire and will be returning there in a couple of years.

I love England and even more so now Im in the US, even thought financially and materialistacally better off in the US. But as we all know material things don't make you happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.