Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Land of opportunity...

Land of opportunity...

Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land of opportunity...

Originally Posted by Kali-forniarrr
I am a British Citizen.
You said you were a dualie - or have you changed to suit your whim? And I'm assuming your main residence is here in the States.....?
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:07 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You said you were a dualie - or have you changed to suit your whim? And I'm assuming your main residence is here in the States.....?
I have one in each.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Yes she did, just as I had to certify that I was pregnant and got free meds. Although I got them before I was issued the card and I'm positive the same happened with my daughter.
Going by memory, everytime I got a prescription in the UK I had to sign the prescrip form... wouldn't it be illegal to claim free prescriptions without the exemption?
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Well of course she doesn't.....but if someone says its free, here you go, what person isn't going to take advantage of that? Her circumstances have changed and so she isn't doing full time employment anymore - but I still feel she could pay for a portion.
According to you someone just like your daughter should not take them for free. Now you're saying a person would be silly not to and say her circumstances have changed. Did they change after your first post about her thyroid condition, there you said she was able bodied enough to work and pay for her meds.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I have one in each.
Well that's convenient for you then. Do you maintain doctors over here? Or do you fly back when you're ill? It must be nice to come and go whenever you please.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bevinva
According to you someone just like your daughter should not take them for free. Now you're saying a person would be silly not to and say her circumstances have changed. Did they change after your first post about her thyroid condition, there you said she was able bodied enough to work and pay for her meds.
I don't believe that an able bodied person should get something for free. However, if you're paying tax over there, you are in essence paying for it anyway. She is paying tax, so she does pay for her medicine - just not directly. I'm not saying someone is silly not to accept it - I'm saying that if someone offers you something that's "free" who wouldn't take it?
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
wouldn't it be illegal to claim free prescriptions without the exemption?
I'm sure it would....do you think that people might commit fraud?
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure it would....do you think that people might commit fraud?
It would seem very obvious!
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe that an able bodied person should get something for free. However, if you're paying tax over there, you are in essence paying for it anyway. She is paying tax, so she does pay for her medicine - just not directly. I'm not saying someone is silly not to accept it - I'm saying that if someone offers you something that's "free" who wouldn't take it?
If I could afford it now but had to claim the exemption to protect me in the future I would give something to a charity to offset it. So in that sense I'm the type of person who wouldn't take what I didn't need if I can use that to help others.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It would seem very obvious!
If all I had to do was click a few boxes and presto I received a free medication - regardless if I was entitled to it - guess it wouldn't be too hard to do. Thankfully I have more morals than that.....
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Making a point isn't always easy with the written word.....but I am glad you got some enjoyment out of it.

Out of pocket expense should be judged on your ability to pay - not whether you have a certain condition. If you worked full time and were still able to make a huge wage - and were very well off - should you not be responsible for paying for some out of pocket expense for your health care? And before we go around again - my daughter is not well off - she works a very short amount of hours and not due to her condition either. The "free" medical isn't bad for people who genuinely deserve it, but if you can work and can pay something towards the cost (besides the ever present tax) wouldn't it make the NHS a bit more effective?

Last edited by AmerLisa; Jul 26th 2008 at 6:50 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, which is why your opinion is third party.

Everything you have to say is what someone has told you. Most people here, even the people that dislike the NHS have had personal experience of both!
So what.

My husband's experience is just as valid as yours.

However I formed an opinion, I still have a right to it. And I have never misrepresented myself.

So I find this somewhat pointless.

I am a British Citizen, I have payed my N.I. So yes.
Actually, once you've been out of the country for 3 months, I believe you are not entitled to it. Unless you've returned for permanent residence.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074386

"If you choose to go and live permanently (or for more than 3 months each year) in a country with which the UK does not have a bilateral health agreement, then you will not normally be eligible for free NHS hospital treatment during a visit to the UK, no matter how long you may have lived here in the past"

Unless you fit some sort of exemption, you are misusing the system, it appears.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tracym
So what.
My husband's experience is just as valid as yours.

However I formed an opinion, I still have a right to it. And I have never misrepresented myself.
Re-read what I said.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes she did, just as I had to certify that I was pregnant and got free meds. Although I got them before I was issued the card
If all I had to do was click a few boxes and presto I received a free medication - regardless if I was entitled to it - guess it wouldn't be too hard to do. Thankfully I have more morals than that.....
So how did you get meds when you were preggers and didn't have a card?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.