Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Land of opportunity...

Land of opportunity...

Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:44 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land of opportunity...

Originally Posted by Rete
Don't agree with the take of the middle class crapping on the poor. The middle class does't have enough energy or wherewithal to do that.
The commentary suggests that the energy is abundant, while we have some of the lowest tax rates in the western world to match.

We have perverted the Horatio Alger ethic to the point that people believe that the ability to finance material possessions is an indication of wealth, when wealth is actually a function of true net worth (the value of non-depreciating assets, net of debt). They confuse their ability to borrow with affluence.

Aspiring to wealth is fine. Yearning to be acquisitive while scorning the less fortunate, not so much.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The one's that haven't fallen off the narrowing ledge yet don't seem to believe there's a problem -- as can be clearly seen in this thread. How would you suggest we enlighten them?
You can't enlighten someone that won't see the light. Anyway, life gets in the way and people just really have more things to handle then not. I worry that my husband's well paying job is cutting more and more benefits. I worry that our ridiculous ARM isn't being reined in to a comfortable position. I worry that we don't worry enough. But I have a life to lead as well. I can't sit and worry that the sky is falling when I have to take care of my family. I don't have enough time in the day.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:46 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Of course there are serious problems. I'm very aware of the high cost of everything. The biggest shock of my life was moving back to this country. And while voting in the right government might help things, its the mentality that has to change as well.
And how do you change the mentality?... By making people more aware of the issues would be one way, but you seem to want to shoot that down by denouncing the whole thread as being too negative.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven't we done this thread before? I'm sure I've read the same stuff before.....

What do you think, Cindy?
Wow how selfish. Maybe there are people other than you in the world. Maybe they have not read all this before and are interested in recent members opinions on it.

If you are sure you have read it all before and don't like it then why did you read it all again?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
And how do you change the mentality?... By making people more aware of the issues would be one way, but you seem to want to shoot that down by denouncing the whole thread as being too negative.
It is negative. My goodness, there isn't a solution in the whole context. Elvira threw out her post without any comment. Everyone knows how extremely homesick she is and her thread starter was just another negative check against this country. I think everyone is pretty aware of the problems. Well if they aren't then they should be. But short of standing up and shouting at people to be aware of what is going on, what else would you suggest?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elliott
Wow how selfish. Maybe there are people other than you in the world. Maybe they have not read all this before and are interested in recent members opinions on it.

If you are sure you have read it all before and don't like it then why did you read it all again?
I hardly think I'm being selfish by posting an opinion. Are you being selfish for denying me a right to say what I want?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Its not a problem for me. However, if all you do is worry about the sky falling, isn't that a bit of a problem? Worry is one thing, but what are you doing about it?
For one, it's not all I do .. which is the mistake that Mallory made. But thank you for your concern. I cant vote in the States and given the reaction of Americans to Brits trying to stick their nose in political affairs across the pond during the last election I doubt anyone will ever bother again.

In my own country however, I do.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point

I hardly think I'm being selfish by posting an opinion. Are you being selfish for denying me a right to say what I want?
where did i say you could not say what you wanted?

i said my opinion of what you posted was selfish.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Let's have a real argument, split the stats along racial groups...
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

It is negative. My goodness, there isn't a solution in the whole context. Elvira threw out her post without any comment. Everyone knows how extremely homesick she is and her thread starter was just another negative check against this country. I think everyone is pretty aware of the problems. Well if they aren't then they should be. But short of standing up and shouting at people to be aware of what is going on, what else would you suggest?
So no one should post anything negative about the US? Obviously some people don't care about others worse off than them, because they're doing fine judging by other posters in this thread. Either that or they're too scared of what may be about to happen to the economy to be reminded (not you Lisa).
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
For one, it's not all I do .. which is the mistake that Mallory made. But thank you for your concern. I cant vote in the States and given the reaction of Americans to Brits trying to stick their nose in political affairs across the pond during the last election I doubt anyone will ever bother again.

In my own country however, I do.
I don't think the general public has a lot of confidence in their politicians - on either side of the pond. While voting may help, I don't feel its the complete and only way to change things. Promises mean nothing after the election. Oops there I go being negative. Sigh.....
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elliott
where did i say you could not say what you wanted?

i said my opinion of what you posted was selfish.
Well as long as that one is sorted out. Wheew!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Argumentum ad hominem.
A surprising comment from one that lives by Argumentum ad hominem.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes .. its posting information with an agenda. If you had looked at the views before replies you would ahve noticed that quite a few people opened the thread, looked or didnt at the detail of the articles .. no doubt said "oh dear, its not geting any better" to themselves and got on with their days.

It wasn't until someone came in with an obnoxious, selfish, stereotypical comment that anyone replied. Im not saying it wouldnt have been discussed later but people fired off at the replies not the OP.

Despite the fact you condemn Elvira for posting the information in the first place, disseminating information is the standard way of informing people about things.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
A surprising comment from one that lives by Argumentum ad hominem.
Unsubstantiated argumentum ad hominem -- again!

You state that the OP isn't qualified to raise this subject because she doesn't like it here.

Well I'm a US citizen who lives and votes here. Am I qualified to raise the issue?

Precisely! So your argument is pure bunkum!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.